Yanis Varoufakis - Former Minister of Finance in Greece tells a shocking story. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
c- Former Minister of Finance in Greece tells a shocking story in this youtube video. (At least I'm 99% sure it was this one.)

You all have been told that one of the main reasons for Greece's economic problems is the tax evasion that is so common there. However the Troika forced a rule onto Greece that stopped a very promising Greek Gov. program to stop tax evasion.

Yanis Varoufakis tells a story from when he was Finance Minister that It Seems to Me cuts the legs out from under this charge. He had twisted the arms of many Greek Banks and gotten a massive data dump of all the transactions of those banks for the last 20 years. He then had his IT and tax collections teams together write a program to compare the bank data he just got with the data that tax payers had provided on the tax returns to FLAG instances where the numbers didn't seem to match. He claimed they found about 500K instances.
. . . Then he was blocked. Soon, the agreement that the Trioka forced down the throat of the Greek Gov. included a paragraph that *specifically* required this program to be stopped and the workers transfered.

It seemed to Yanis that the oligarchs of the world represented by the EC, the ECB, and the IMF didn't want the world to be shown how to catch tax cheats. It's almost as if the oligarchs the world over all cheat and don't want to be stopped from cheating and punished for cheating.

Anyway, it seems to me that if Greece can't be allowed to stop tax cheaters then the Troika has no business blaming the harsh treatment of Greece on it allowing tax cheats to have cheated in the past.
. . . I call BULLSHIT on the Troika.

Uh no...both things are absolutely true. I am not[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]