Notre Dame, Symbol of Western Christendom, Burns in Paris - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
SolarCross wrote:20 weeks seems pretty serious; that is a bit more than a fun day out.

I don't know, doing havoc in the streets could be considered a national pastime in France anyway. Some tens of thousands of people go out each weekend throughout France and do what seems like their hobby without any goal they appear to be able to reach, like Macron's resignation, for example.

What do they say they are protesting: the tax breaks which don't affect them or the gas taxes which do? You should know if something is already overpriced and it gets a price hike then that hurts more than a cheap thing getting a price hike. Gas taxes are already at the max of what is tolerable.

In my opinion it's supposed to be an anti-Macron movement in general originally triggered by his tax policies. A kind of revolution, if you like. :lol:
Drlee wrote:Y

Racist? What did I say that was racist?

You are the one constantly honoring the religious beliefs of American Indians but referring to Christianity in a bigoted manner.

I am not going to get dragged into an off topic discussion.

And I referred to Catholicism (not Christianity in general) in a manner that was less than respectful, but I am allowed that since I was raised Catholic.

Now, I have made my argument as to why Notre Dame should be rebuilt because of its architecture and historical significance alone. Feel free to address it.

—————————

Victoribus Spolia wrote:IF Americans had to deal with a gas tax even half of that seen in France, you would be looking at a nation-wide revolt because of the desperation it would create.

I highly doubt this.

Anglophone cultures have no real historical tradition of militant protest that has survived the last few centuries.

If the US is like the Canadian midwest, which it is, they would just vote out whichever party introduced the tax. Just like it happened here.

If the need for gas is an important factor, please note that we use more gas per capita here in the Canadian midwest than people do in the USA.
And I referred to Catholicism (not Christianity in general) in a manner that was less than respectful, but I am allowed that since I was raised Catholic.

Nonsense. Am I allowed to be racist against black people because I was "raised" by one half a day for my most formative years?

Besides you did not insult Catholics. You called Christianity a "myth". That is another thing altogether.

Now, I have made my argument as to why Notre Dame should be rebuilt because of its architecture and historical significance alone. Feel free to address it.

I did. Your selective ignorance is rearing its head again.

Anglophone cultures have no real historical tradition of militant protest that has survived the last few centuries

Please try to sell that bullshit in Belfast, Watts, Selma and Chicago........To name but a few. Since 1919 there have been 27 riots in London alone. Where did you get that peyote you are smoking?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Anglophone cultures have no real historical tradition of militant protest that has survived the last few centuries.

If the US is like the Canadian midwest, which it is, they would just vote out whichever party introduced the tax. Just like it happened here.

Yeah that is nonsense but if it was true it would indicate that "anglophonic cultures" are just well governed. One hardly needs to protest if there is nothing significant to protest.
Beren wrote:I also think VS nailed it this time, however, I wonder whether Macron could have got away with the gas tax alone if he hadn't given tax breaks to the rich as well. Gas tax is not such a big deal in Europe, as far as I know gas is heavily taxed throughout the continent.

I think VS nailed it, but you summarised it better. Americans are getting screwed over far more than the French yet no such movement or disdain on the streets. Although I suspect if a gas tax was imposed the oil lobby would mobilse their drones into action and the red necks would paralyse Washington for them. To say the deck is loaded towards the shills in America is an understatement.

As for the French, they would strike over cold tea. I suspect they would always have striked over an oil tax no matter what actually. But support remains high because Macron gave tax breaks at the same time I guess... and that was a mistake.
B0ycey wrote:As for the French, they would strike over cold tea. I suspect they would always have striked over an oil tax no matter what actually. But support remains high because Macron gave tax breaks at the same time I guess... and that was a mistake.

He meant to make France more investor friendly, however, I'm sure many governments still could learn a lot from the French how to tax the rich hard.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]