How to become an EU citizen - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By snapdragon
#15007323
Have an Irish grandmother like me, Rancid!

I was feeling sick at heart yesterday, but today not so much.

I'm back to feeling hopeful Brexit will hit the dust.

I've stopped pondering over what on earth can be going on in the little tiny minds of people who voted for The Brexit Party.

How can anyone bring themselves to vote for Anne Widdecombe or Annunziata Rees-Mogg? Let alone Farage.

As for May, well...she'll soon to be able to console herself with knowing she's not the worst PM, ever.
I'm back to feeling absolutely terrible again...and to cap it all, we have Trump arriving for tea with the Queen in a couple of weeks. Oh, fuck it.
Last edited by snapdragon on 25 May 2019 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Rancid
#15007356
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Lobby for the US to join the EU.


I can prove that my Great-Grand Father was French. Would that be sufficient? I know i have other ancestors that were Spanish.
User avatar
By Kaiserschmarrn
#15007462
Rancid wrote:I can prove that my Great-Grand Father was French. Would that be sufficient? I know i have other ancestors that were Spanish.

You might actually have a chance in Spain if you can prove that you have Sephardic Jewish ancestry. The law expires in Oct 2019.
User avatar
By Rancid
#15007588
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:You might actually have a chance in Spain if you can prove that you have Sephardic Jewish ancestry. The law expires in Oct 2019.


My genetic profile say's I have Askanazi (sp?) Jew.
User avatar
By Kaiserschmarrn
#15007702
Rancid wrote:My genetic profile say's I have Askanazi (sp?) Jew.

That will not work, I'm afraid. You might be able to buy citizenship via an investment scheme if you have the money.

Otherwise it's back to working on the US becoming an EU member.
User avatar
By JohnRawls
#15007708
Rancid wrote:My genetic profile say's I have Askanazi (sp?) Jew.


You can buy one legally. I almost forgot about this until @Kaiserschmarrn reminded.

https://www.henleyglobal.com/citizenshi ... -overview/

Henley & PartnersCitizenshipCitizenship ProgramsMaltaMalta Citizenship By Investment - Alternative Citizenship Application
Malta Citizenship-by-Investment Overview
The Malta Individual Investor Program (MIIP), which Henley & Partners was contracted in 2014 by the Government of Malta to design and implement, is the most modern citizenship-by-investment program. The MIIP is one of the most exclusive citizenship-by-investment portfolios worldwide. It offers clients the opportunity to acquire citizenship in a country that has one of the strongest, most stable economies of the EU and Eurozone.

Benefits of Malta citizenship
Visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 182 destinations including Canada and the EU
The right to live, work, and study in any of the 28 EU countries and Switzerland
World’s strictest due diligence standards and vetting of applicants, thus ensuring only highly respectable applicants
Citizenship of a well-respected EU country
Reasonable contribution and efficient application process
An attractive place to live or own a second home in, strategically located with excellent air links
Route to Malta citizenship
The Malta program includes three financial requirements:

1.
A contribution to the development of Malta

2.
A purchase of stocks or bonds

3.
A property transaction

The combined upfront financial requirement, including applicable government charges and citizenship application fees, is just under EUR 900,000. These costs will increase slightly depending on the family size.
User avatar
By Kaiserschmarrn
#15007709
^ Not sure, but Hungary might be cheaper. I don't know if other Eastern European countries offer something similar.

Edit: I think in Hungary you get permanent residency initially and then after 5 years of living there you can apply for citizenship.
#15007835
The sad thing is that if someone of the right race shows up as a refugee, you're in but if you come in at an airport and say you're an engineer, God knows how long that would take, how much money and if you would get in at all.

I have dual EU citizenship by descent :excited:
#15007897


I think Taylor Swift is on the right track to gain British citizenship by marriage. You could do it with Rei, too.
#15007915
Hong Wu wrote:I have dual EU citizenship by descent :excited:

So do I. However, I've never bothered to get a passport. I'm not there enough for it to matter.
#15009361
Many options. First of all, do you have any ancestry from Europe which can confer you a passport? Maybe investigate this option.

Secondly you can naturalise through emigration. Settle in Europe and then you can naturalise through applying. Of course you will need to learn a European language. I think you speak Spanish already? Maybe you can go there. Once upon a time you might have considered settling in the UK but I don't think this country will be in the EU much longer somehow. :lol:
#15009368
Political Interest wrote:Many options. First of all, do you have any ancestry from Europe which can confer you a passport? Maybe investigate this option.

Secondly you can naturalise through emigration. Settle in Europe and then you can naturalise through applying. Of course you will need to learn a European language. I think you speak Spanish already? Maybe you can go there. Once upon a time you might have considered settling in the UK but I don't think this country will be in the EU much longer somehow. :lol:


Europe doesn't have any sort of work visa program? For example, in the US, if you are a skilled worker like an enigneer. A company can sponsor a work visa. If you stay long enough, they grant residency, and eventually citizenship.

Yes, I speak spanish.
#15009379
Rancid wrote:Europe doesn't have any sort of work visa program? For example, in the US, if you are a skilled worker like an enigneer. A company can sponsor a work visa. If you stay long enough, they grant residency, and eventually citizenship.

Yes, I speak spanish.


https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/working-schengen-visa/
#15009420
JohnRawls wrote:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/working-schengen-visa/


Interesting! As a US citizen I don't even have to apply for a Schengen VISA. As a US citizen, I can just get a job, show up, and then apply for residency.

Interesting. I tossed the idea to my wife and she said "yea. let's do it!" :lol:

She likes the idea of immersing my kids in Spanish. We try very hard to teach them the language (they currently go to a dual language school, meaning, they learn science and math in spanish).

I'm told there's a bit of a startup & technology scene in Madrid. Maybe I should poke around.
#15009424
Rancid wrote:Interesting! As a US citizen I don't even have to apply for a Schengen VISA. As a US citizen, I can just get a job, show up, and then apply for residency.

Interesting. I tossed the idea to my wife and she said "yea. let's do it!" :lol:

She likes the idea of immersing my kids in Spanish. We try very hard to teach them the language (they currently go to a dual language school, meaning, they learn science and math in spanish).

I'm told there's a bit of a startup & technology scene in Madrid. Maybe I should poke around.


Small note for you. EU allows for dual citizenship with no problem but EU doesn't allow you to have 2 citizenships within the EU. (You can't be both Germand and French citizen for example). But its okay to be 1 EU Citizenship of any kind + 1 non-EU citizenship (As long as the other country is also okay with it)

Although it would be epic to have all 28 citizenships. The pension of yours would be something like 15k or something per month.

P.S.(Edit 2) If you planning to get some citizenship then Finnish one is perhaps the best on offer right now. Will instantly bump your pension by 1.3k Euros.(1.5k USD) Every Finnish citizen is entitled to 1.3k Euro pension minimum.

Feel free to add more weird and outrageous stories[…]

Are you just being contrary for the sake of it,[…]

So last thursday we have 187-ish cases in my area[…]

What are you rattling on about? Bolton reorgani[…]