If Europeans find American tourists annoying, why don't Europeans ban them from entering Europe? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
@JohnRawls @SolarCross

I am involved in tourism here and internal national tourists are the best in my opinion. 95% of my tourists are Mexicans. They come from Mexican big cities. On vacation.

When I was a very young woman in Puerto Rico I worked at an art gallery and they would sell postcards, souvenirs and posters as well as original artworks. The tourists I would find the nicest were from Japan and Italy. The Germans though were the most enamoured of Puerto Rican culture hands down.

They would have their little agendas on what to do all day and every day in Puerto Rico and follow it faithfully but they were charmed by how--unscheduled---every one on the island was.

Americans were on the whole sort of confused as tourists. They would say things like, "This is part of America? Why does it look like a Spanish city? And why aren't there more Puerto Rican restaurants? I don't speak Spanish. I thought you people dropped the Spanish long ago?" Many did not know that the currency was the USA dollar and that we called that "Pesos". Many American tourists were either disappointed it was so Americanized or unhappy that it was too different from the states....with its 16th century architecture and Caribbean flair. But the Americans who did like Puerto Rico? Tended to be very enthusiastic. The only complaint is that they found it very expensive and wanted Mexican style pricing. I kept telling them over and over again. No one haggles in Puerto Rico. They have fixed pricing. The cops are not corrupt in terms of asking for bribes. Most of them outside of San Juan speak zero English. No, you won't find a lot of Puerto Rican girls who will marry you because you are a rich American. They don't need that.

Dumb questions was the most common thing I would say. But the Germans I would say were far and away the most happy with the experience of being a tourist in Borinquen (Puerto Rico).

I have never been to any continent except the Americas. Never to Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. Not even once.

But if I had to choose a place to visit? I would go to Greece for sure. And Spain, Portugal and Italy...and France. I like those a lot. I also heard Croatia is gorgeous and so are many cities in Eastern Europe. Why no one mentions Poland as a tourism place? Russia never attracted me.

Mexicans are generous with the purse and spending. In general. I love my Mexican clients.
I live outside Washington DC and have been to Europe many times. When I cross the pond I feel I am at home since Europe is an aggregate of developed nations. I feel the same way when I go to Canada. The easiest country to visit for an American traveler would be the Netherlands where everybody speaks English.

As an aside: I have visited London four times over the years since the early 1960s. Last time I was there a year ago it was nothing like in the 1960s. At this time many people in London are not English. Europeans are very much like a much earlier version of an American. I don't see that much difference.
@Julian658 @Tainari88

The best places for Northern Americans to visit are places like Netherlands, Denmark, Baltics, Croatia, etc. Most smaller countries in Europe all speak English nowadays in mass.

If you are in to sight seeing then obviously places like Italy, France, Spain, England are a must. You know, the classical historical tourist traps.

If you want to just relax on the beach then places like Croatia, Greece etc are the best in Europe.

If you are in to eco tourism then Northern Europe is your destination or if you are relatively rich then Chili and then to Antarktika.
JohnRawls wrote:@Julian658 @Tainari88

The best places for Northern Americans to visit are places like Netherlands, Denmark, Baltics, Croatia, etc. Most smaller countries in Europe all speak English nowadays in mass.

If you are in to sight seeing then obviously places like Italy, France, Spain, England are a must. You know, the classical historical tourist traps.

If you want to just relax on the beach then places like Croatia, Greece etc are the best in Europe.

If you are in to eco tourism then Northern Europe is your destination or if you are relatively rich then Chili and then to Antarktika.

As a traveler I am sick of the large cities. We find a greater joy in traveling to small towns. Spain is great for renting a car traveling from small town to small town. I am always enthralled by seeing Roman ruins all over the place. I suspect Scotland may be another great destination for driving from town to town. My wife saw the Outlander series and wanted to go this year. NOT POSSIBLE NOW!!!
JohnRawls wrote:@Julian658 @Tainari88

Why is Northern Europe into eco tourism?

Is Europe all that expensive? Mexico is very very affordable. I can't say the same for Europe?

Are Greek beaches really pretty and easy to swim in? I loved the beach in an off island that belongs to Puerto Rico called Culebra John Rawls. It has a beach called Flamenco Beach. Beautiful beach. I used to camp out on that beach a lot when I lived in PR. People are foolish when they ask me why people love their land? Just pack up and leave. Wouldn't you love this land too? Wouldn't you want to defend it and not have bombs and poison ruining it if it was your ancestral land? People and their ignorant stuff. I will never understand it.

Here:

Europe is not that large and you will be usually visiting the western (Spain, France, UK) and central Europe (Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Hungary). Italy is worth visiting too. It's not a lot of distance to cover. To us Europeans North America is so large. In Europe you travel 300km and you get a different language, food, customs, unique events. Ukraine maybe if you want to visit Chernobyl (it had bad forest fire recently nearby). You can reach sea in summer by car, in winter you can go skiing to Alps (skiing is reportedly cheaper in Europe than US for some reason). I wouldn't worry about not being understood.

English people seem to have moved out of London. Due to lot of immigration from 3rd world countries the western EU is more cosmopolitan like the US while the eastern EU is still white.
fokker wrote:Europe is not that large and you will be usually visiting the western (Spain, France, UK) and central Europe (Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Hungary). Italy is worth visiting too. It's not a lot of distance to cover. To us Europeans North America is so large. In Europe you travel 300km and you get a different language, food, customs, unique events. Ukraine maybe if you want to visit Chernobyl (it had bad forest fire recently nearby). You can reach sea in summer by car, in winter you can go skiing to Alps (skiing is reportedly cheaper in Europe than US for some reason). I wouldn't worry about not being understood.

English people seem to have moved out of London. Due to lot of immigration from 3rd world countries the western EU is more cosmopolitan like the US while the eastern EU is still white.

You are so right about driving. Going from country to country and not having a border check felt very strange to my wife. London is basically like New York City, that was my impression. IN fact there was one month when they actually had more murders than New York. And the murders were done with Knifes, not guns.
Well, if you want small villages and towns and beautiful panoramic views etc Greece is probably the best destination. Most foreigners know Greece only for her gorgeous beaches, though that's only a small part of Greek beauty. Meteora, Karistos, Agion oros, Monembasia, Messinian Mani and thousands of others destinations that are breathtaking. If you think that huge cold mountains and lakes exist only in northern Europe then you're very wrong, Central Greece and Peloponnese have loads of mountain destinations. If you search it a bit you'll find it a perfect tourist destination.
Greece is Switzerland, Bahames, Spain and Grand canyon at the same time. You just have to visit the right place the right season to get the proper experience.
Also very cheap :D
Political Interest wrote:But you most likely find European tourists annoying as well.

This isn't strictly true. Most Europeans are not anti-American.

I don't like tourists getting drunk and throwing up and acting like jackasses because they are in another country and no one knows who they are and they think it gives them a license to act foolishly.

Lol. I also don't like tourists who never spend a dime on anything and just want to bum off the locals all that they can. Some backpacking kids from the States who live off of $200 a month that their parents give them to not have to live with the constant bumming around aimlessly. I have met a few of those in Mexico. He was high as a kite and threw up in front of me and wanted a discount.....on a room. They are not there to spend money and have a decent time. They just want to avoid going to college or working and want to go to Latin America and live on an allowance from their moms and dads who find them intolerable playing video games all day long in basements. No thank you.

Stay home. I want nice people who want to enjoy life and new cultures and who plan to help out the local economy of the nations they visit. Be able to explore and learn something new and not be interested in being in an alcoholic stupor all day.
Julian658 wrote:As a traveler I am sick of the large cities. We find a greater joy in traveling to small towns.

Can't blame you. As a traveler, you actually want to experience the native culture of the country that you're visiting. You're going to see pretty much the same stuff in the big cities of Western Europe. Multiculti, high crime, filth on the streets and so on. It's a very unfortunate experience if you're a decent human being. And the parts of these cities that are still clean and touristy, often have too many, you guessed it, (noisy and annoying) tourists. It's not very enjoying.

I live in Europe, and I also try to avoid the big cities as much as possible. I regret visiting places like Amsterdam, London and Paris. Sure, I liked the old architecture and stuff, but it made me sick to my stomach to see what such places have been reduced to.
Julian658 wrote:
As a traveler I am sick of the large cities.

Depends on the city.

I loved Vienna, but I also loved cycling across Italy. Speaking of which, a bicycle is often the best way to see a country. Although Scotland would likely be tough for a beginner, esp. if you wanted to see it's northern reaches.

You also don't gain weight :lol:

https://www.backroads.com/trips/BSLI/scotland-bike-tour
Code Rood wrote:Can't blame you. As a traveler, you actually want to experience the native culture of the country that you're visiting. You're going to see pretty much the same stuff in the big cities of Western Europe. Multiculti, high crime, filth on the streets and so on. It's a very unfortunate experience if you're a decent human being. And the parts of these cities that are still clean and touristy, often have too many, you guessed it, (noisy and annoying) tourists. It's not very enjoying.

I live in Europe, and I also try to avoid the big cities as much as possible. I regret visiting places like Amsterdam, London and Paris. Sure, I liked the old architecture and stuff, but it made me sick to my stomach to see what such places have been reduced to.

I suggest you never go to San Francisco, Seattle, or LA. Homeless people everywhere. I would also say that the government in these cities here and in Europe like to promote this changes in the big cities. I rather enjoy small towns and the natural beauty of the coast and mountains.
fokker wrote:
Scotland is quite hilly, it will take lot of time and strength to get anywhere on a bike. How far you get is determined by the weakest in your company. The best means to move around is to rent a car.

I did say it would be tough for a beginner. He's got a year to get in shape, assuming he wants to try bike touring.

Traveling by bike is almost like riding through a different place than if you were traveling by car. I've done dozens of cycling vacations, I think they're great.
Julian658 wrote:I suggest you never go to San Francisco, Seattle, or LA. Homeless people everywhere.
:roll: False. Been to San Francisco and Seattle(many times). There are no more homeless people there than any other American city, becaus ethye don't take care of their poor.

San fran and Seattle are two of the nicest American cities you could visit.

If you hate cities, I can understand it, but beyond that, you're talking crap.
Godstud wrote::roll: False. Been to San Francisco and Seattle(many times). There are no more homeless people there than any other American city, becaus ethye don't take care of their poor.

I've never been to San Francisco or Seattle, but doesn't San Francisco have a major problem with heroin and people shitting on the streets?
If you've heard stupid rumours, or anecdotal evidence about San Francisco, then that's irrelevant. I found San Francisco to be among the cleanest cities in the USA, that I've ever visited.

They did have homeless, of course, in Seattle, and they are far more visible than in Canada, but it wasn't something outrageous. You'd see the same in any Asian/European country without a social safety net.

You can go to ANY city in the world and find homeless people, if you know where to look.
@Godstud

Godstud wrote:The "Ugly American" moniker they used to have, no longer truly applies, as Americans have learned this, and changed their travel behavior.

WEELLL!

You are either dealing with:

A- the younger generation of Americans

or

B- Americans have always acted the same but yours and others perceptions have changed of Americans for some reason that has nothing to do with the way Americans have always acted given that the behavior hasn't changed from past behavior

MAYBE, since the pandemic has hit and people have been watching our country TANK under Trump all the sudden Americans are perceived as "not so bad" given we were never the "bad evil ugly people" foreigners thought we were to begin with. Amazing how that works, right Godstud!
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 13 May 2020 01:40, edited 3 times in total.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]