"Conservatives" in the UK, versus Conservatives in the US - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
I was listening to an interview with Oliver Dowden, the Chairman of the Conservative Party in the UK.

I couldn't get over how he seemed much more like a moderate Democrat in the US than any sort of conservative. (The Democrat Party is, of the two, the party that represents the Left in the US) I mean his attitude and demeanor didn't even really strike me as a fake conservative. There was just nothing very "conservative" about him.
Most all his answers sounded very opaque and did not seem to be very forthcoming.

I know some used to say the British conservative party was like the equivalent of the moderate Left in the US, and this just seems to verify it all the more.

North Shropshire voters send Tory Party a message with by-election loss, sky news, December 17, 2021

The woman interviewing him seems very ditsy, and yet at the same time annoyingly prudish in a way that only British women can be.

There don't seem to be many conservatives like American conservatives in the UK, and certainly those with any Libertarian mentality (even partial) are a rarity.
Every nation has its own particular brand of "conservatism", derived from their own particular history and their own particular cultural assumptions and shared values. This is to be expected, since "conservatism" has no universal ideology or underlying theory, and prides itself on not having one.
The Right and the Left can never die. In addition almost by definition the Left and the Right must stay of roughly equal strength over the long term. Now the left right spectrum is a model of reality, a simplification of reality, not reality itself. But what is truly remarkable is not how inaccurate this crude simplification of the ideological space is but how effective it is as a tool of analysis.

So in America, for example many of the most politically engaged people will claim to be libertarians. Usually all you have to do is ask them whether they prioritise the right to own guns, in which case they are on the right or the right to use cannabis in which case they are on the left. Once you've ascertained that their "libertarian" self identification can usually be safely ignored. Or look at Britain, where the Green Party have just become another left of centre party, sharing the same values and priorities as the leftists of Labour, the Scottish National Party, Plaid Cymru and the Liberal Democrats.

When new issues appear or erupt like Brexit and Covid. The Left Right spectrum is temporally disrupted, but while individuals may move about the spectrum, the right left spectrum re self organises itself with ever remarkable speed.

The Left and right can never die, or if they do die, they're reborn before the corpse of the old left or the old right have gone gone cold. But Ideologies most certainly can die. And what we are witnessing is the death of the Christian conservative ideology that held sway over Europe and its derivative colonies for over a millennium and a half. It died with Gay Marriage. Gay Marriage was the end. When the US supreme court discovered that US founders intended Gay men and women to be able to marry each other, they in effect pronounced the Christian ideology dead.

Its just not viable to control and stigmatise heterosexual women's sexuality. It just not viable to control and stigmatise men who do not control and stigmatise promiscuous women. Its just not ideologically viable while at the same time you're telling gay men and women that you can do what the hell you like. Life always comes back to sex. Politics always comes back to sex. Religion always comes back to sex. Spirituality always comes back to sex. May be you find this boring. Don't blame me get on to God about it. That's why I can bring my political differences over the China virus with Lockdown-Liberal filth like Matt Hancock and Neil Fergusson down to one question: "Do I look like a bitch?"

The articles presented by Five, are about failed […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]