Ukraine's "dirty bomb" option? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Ukraine surrendered its nuclear weapons at the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union. But the nation may still have the capability to use “dirty bombs.” After the Chernobyl disaster, large volumes of radioactive waste were generated and placed in temporary near-surface waste storage and disposal facilities.

Conceivably, the wastes could be dug up and packaged into the warheads of missiles and long-range artillery shells, which would then be fired into Russian territory and create long-term dead zones in that nation.

Before the current escalation and arms aid to Ukraine, the country, at last count, had 90 tactical ballistic missiles with a range of 120 km and a payload of half a ton and another 50 missiles in storage with a range of 70 km and a payload of half a ton.
Robert Urbanek wrote:What then, would be the point of invading Ukraine, if their prize would be a nuclear wasteland?

Good question. But no way Russia allows their troops to be irradiated with out a big response.
Scamp wrote:Good question. But no way Russia allows their troops to be irradiated with out a big response.

Well, not just troops. Radioactive artillery shells may be aimed at concentrations of Russian troops but, if their rockets have the range, the Ukrainians could point their medium-range missiles at Russian cities.
Still dumb.

For one thing, they don't have enough fissile material to heavily irradiate a large part of the country, it's not a small country.

But what makes it so dumb is the idea that poisoning yourself makes sense. Not exactly a pleasant way to commit suicide.
late wrote:Not exactly a pleasant way to commit suicide.

Yeah. If I were to kill myself (which I won't) I'd rather build a guillotine.
Scamp wrote:Bad idea. This would justify a Russian nuke response.

Yeah. Ukraine would not survive such an option. What's scary is if a leader with nukes, possibly Ukraine, gets desperate and boxed in a corner with death of its leader certain. If they're going to die they may use the nuke option. But I would think verbal nuke threats would happen long before that.

Yours is not history, just tinfoil-hat nonsense[…]

That was weird

I was watching the evening news, and they were cov[…]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2xXMrwU[…]

I define my terms very clearly and very simply. S[…]