Waiting for Starmer - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By snapdragon
I vote for the party, not the leader. I’ve never been a member of any political party and was only a member of a trades Union because I had to be at one time. Bunch of crooks, they were. As soon as I left the job, I left the Union. But I’ve always voted Labour.

I voted Labour with Jeremy corbyn as leader, both times, because I believed his resulting cabinet would keep him in line and put the kibosh on some of his more outlandish ideas.

Even though his idiocy left me shaking with anger, sometimes. His stubborn refusal to admit The Labour membership was riddled with anti Semitism. His insane refusal to sing the national anthem at a memorial service. His wishy washy attitude to Brexit and let’s not mention the infamous wreath laying calamity.

What a disaster he turned out to be.
And yet, I approved of a lot of his manifesto.

I like the fact keir starmer isn’t trying to be popular. I like his realistic attitude in dealing with things as they are and not what he wishes they were like.

Edit: I would say it’s doubtful I’m younger than my persona. I might even be older, but that’s something for me to know and you to wonder about.
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:I do know much he’s disliked by the momentum crowd, but that’s inevitable.

Personally, I wish they’d bugger off to the communist party, which is where they belong.

Nah, Momemtum definitely belong with The Labour Party. :lol:

We have ordinary working people struggling to put food on the table, pay their rent and keep their homes warm,

You actually believe Keith cares about workers?

snapdragon wrote:His stubborn refusal to admit The Labour membership was riddled with anti Semitism.

It was not riddled with anti-Semitism. That was a clear-as-day hit job by Zionists that's been repeatedly proven to be the bullshit it was. But here we are, people still pushing this line as if it has any basis in reality.

Data released by the party in February 2019 showed that it had received 1,106 specific complaints of antisemitism since April 2018, of which just 673 regarded actual Labour members. The party membership stands at over half a million: the allegations, even if they were true, concern around 0.1 percent of the total.
https://jacobin.com/2019/10/labour-part ... emy-corbyn
By snapdragon
I prefer to read the report made the EHRC.
I’m glad to see the Labour Party improvement.

Momentum wantto be part of the Labour Party, but they don’t belong. They’re between a rock and a hard place at the moment. They need more funding but insisting their members join the Labour Party is holding them back.

They need to realise they don’t have a home there without corbyn and should admit who they are.
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:I prefer to read the report made the EHRC.

Which one?

Momentum wantto be part of the Labour Party, but they don’t belong. They’re between a rock and a hard place at the moment. They need more funding but insisting their members join the Labour Party is holding them back.

Momentum very much suit the snakes within The Labour Party tho. :D
By snapdragon
skinster wrote:Which one?

The one published October 2020

Momentum very much suit the snakes within The Labour Party tho. :D

They do keep trying.
By AFAIK
I would have liked to have Rebecca Long Bailey as leader. It would be interesting to see what a lefty could achieve without Corbyn's baggage holding them back.
By snapdragon
skinster wrote:Can you share it?

I’ll have a go this morning, but it’s easily found online if you don’t want to wait.
By snapdragon
AFAIK wrote:I would have liked to have Rebecca Long Bailey as leader. It would be interesting to see what a lefty could achieve without Corbyn's baggage holding them back.

Corbyn’s parrot. She had nothing else to offer.
By ingliz
@snapdragon

It would be better for the Labour Party if Starmer did a 'John Smith'.

Ideology aside, Angela Rayner is by far the better choice electorally. After getting all that free publicity in the tabloids, she has the voter recognition. Everybody knows where she stands, she is honest, and more importantly - going by her performances at the despatch box - she has more political savvy than the perpetually startled waffling word salad that is Starmer.

:)
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:I’ll have a go this morning, but it’s easily found online if you don’t want to wait.

I can wait.

ingliz wrote:Ideology aside, Angela Rayner is by far the better choice electorally.

I don't know about that. She pissed off a lot of what's left of the left within The Labour Party for joining those who sold Corbyn out. Anyway, I'd prefer Starmer in the role, for what should be obvious reasons by now. :D
By skinster
snapdragon wrote:https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/inquiries-and-investigations/investigation-labour-party

Here you are, skinster.

Thanks.

Where in the report did it say Labour (under Corbyn) is "riddled with antisemitism"?
By snapdragon
It’s all in the report. The commission conclude it was partly down to failure of leadership.

I’m not saying corbyn himself is particularly anti Semitic, but he did nothing much to stamp it out, so sadly the Labour Party became riddled with it. He was a useless leader.

Corbyn and his supporters tried to downplay the numbers, which did them no favours.
By ingliz
snapdragon wrote:He was a useless leader

The numbers disagree.

You seem to be forgetting that at 550,000, Labour under Corbyn had the largest number of members of any party in Western Europe and that Labour's proportion of the vote grew 9.6 percent in 2017 - The biggest swing since Clement Attlee in 1945 - A number that only Tony Blair has come close to matching (8.8%) when he won his landslide victory in 1997.

:lol:
ingliz wrote:The numbers disagree.

You seem to be forgetting that at 550,000, Labour under Corbyn had the largest number of members of any party in Western Europe and that Labour's proportion of the vote grew 9.6 percent in 2017 - The biggest swing since Clement Attlee in 1945 - A number that only Tony Blair has come close to matching (8.8%) when he won his landslide victory in 1997.

:lol:

Party membership and electoral victories are not the same thing. Party membership is only relevant in authoritarian/dictatorial countries since it is a social mobility ladder and nepotism to some degree. In democratic countries it is way way less relevant.
By snapdragon
John Rawls is right. The membership meant nothing when it came to putting crosses on paper. I make no claims for the veracity of the story that a lot of Tory voters joined the Labour Party on purpose to get corbyn elected as leader, then left once mission accomplished.
By Beren
JohnRawls wrote:Party membership and electoral victories are not the same thing.

Party membership may even matter more to commies as they don't mean to take power by electoral victories.

ingliz wrote:A number that only Tony Blair has come close to matching (8.8%) when he won his landslide victory in 1997.

Corbyn still wasn't ever even close to that, was he? At the end he rather achieved the opposite. But it hardly matters to you, though, because elections are only for fools since nothing significant can ever be achieved by democratic means anyways.
Last edited by Beren on 23 May 2023 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k There[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]