UK may be entering recession - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

I am getting a 7% rise in my UK State pension next year, and that's on top of a 10% rise this year. If this carries on for another year or so, I will be paying income tax and helping Malta balance the books.

:lol:
JohnRawls wrote:Yeah, why exactly is there no free access to the EU market when you leave the EU market? How could that be possible?

You're making an error.
You mistakenly think Brexit was about leaving the EU market.

JohnRawls wrote:The problem is not goods, the problem is everything else like services, free movement and regulations on those goods.

I do not think that is true. You are not entirely incorrect of course but some of that feels like a distraction and clouding the main issue.
The main "services" that would matter to the UK are financial services, and that does not have to involve movement of workers across borders. I do not think movement of people across borders is so essential to the UK economy. Regulations on goods are an issue. The EU has excessive regulations, even more than the UK, and the UK is not happy about it. Creative solutions probably could be found, but the EU doesn't work that way, wants cookie-cutter solutions.
Puffer Fish wrote:Regulations on goods are an issue.

Why do you think the EU owes you a living?

You made the regulations when you were in.

You must have known what their impact would be once you were out.

Anyway, the manufacturing sector only makes up around 8 or 9% of total UK economic output (Gross Value Added), and you always said there are more important things to worry about than an economy

:)
Puffer Fish wrote:You're making an error.
You mistakenly think Brexit was about leaving the EU market.

I do not think that is true. You are not entirely incorrect of course but some of that feels like a distraction and clouding the main issue.
The main "services" that would matter to the UK are financial services, and that does not have to involve movement of workers across borders. I do not think movement of people across borders is so essential to the UK economy. Regulations on goods are an issue. The EU has excessive regulations, even more than the UK, and the UK is not happy about it. Creative solutions probably could be found, but the EU doesn't work that way, wants cookie-cutter solutions.

You can have free trade without the EU package and is what we have right now. You can't have free movement without all of EU obligations and you can't split it. Free movement includes not only goods but people and services also.

You are spouting bs of having some kind of free movement without obligations and not having free movement of people.
JohnRawls wrote:You can have free trade without the EU package and is what we have right now. You can't have free movement without all of EU obligations and you can't split it. Free movement includes not only goods but people and services also.

You are spouting bs of having some kind of free movement without obligations and not having free movement of people.

I think my point was that would not be responsible for any great economic harmful effect to the UK.

If people wanted to argue that eliminating free trade hurts the UK economy, sure, that argument may be valid.
But if the UK has or had the same free trade it had as part of the EU before, then it's a much weaker argument to try to argue any of those other things would greatly hurt the UK economy.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]