The French conflict with Russia - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Recently, France announced it would be sending troops to help Ukraine in its war against invader Russia. On the surface this appeared to be a benevolent move to help defend Western Europe and democracy in general from hostile imperialism, and so forth.

But apparently there is another dimension to this conflict, involving France and Russia - one with its roots in Africa.

Why France is Actually Preparing for War With Russia, RealLifeLore

The short of it is that France technically dissolved their 'colonies' around the world in the mid 20th century. If you know anything about the leadup to the war in Vietnam, then you have an idea what I'm talking about. But technically is not exactly the same thing as realistically. Realistically, several countries in the 'Sahel' region of Africa were and still are economically and politically (by virtue of their bought-and-paid-for rulers) colonies of 'the west' (and most specifically- France). The 'Sahel' region, btw, is the belt of Africa on the southern edge of the Sahara Desert, where Africa transitions from bleak desert back to vibrant savannahs and lush jungles. I didn't know that's what it was called, maybe you didn't either. Anyway, almost all the nations in the 'Sahel' region are currently in some stage of political or military revolt against their governments, having finally become intolerant of their not-technically-a-colony-but-still-effectively-a-colony status with 'The West' and specifically France, and are being supported in their revolts by Russian Mercenary Force Wagner Group.

The short of it is that France is less interested in protecting Ukraine and Europe and democracy from Russian Imperialism, and more interested in protecting their own economic imperialism in Africa from being destabilized by Russia. I know, big surprise...

The conflict in Ukraine continues to be - and escalate as - a proxy war for international economic domination more than a fight over 'democracy'. France wants to help fight Russia in Ukraine in attempt to keep their own hegemony in Africa, not 'preserve Ukrainian sovereignty.'
@Puffer Fish

Although the numbers are small in relative terms - A drop in the ocean when casualties are supposedly running around 500,000 dead or crippled - the Turks say French soldiers are already dying at an embarrassing rate in Ukraine.

An extra 2,000 troops are unlikely to make a difference.

:)
Puffer Fish wrote:
The short of it is that France is less interested in protecting Ukraine and Europe and democracy from Russian Imperialism, and more interested in protecting their own economic imperialism in Africa from being destabilized by Russia. I know, big surprise...

That makes no sense.

France getting more involved will piss Putin off, and he will seek revenge in places like Africa, where he has assets in place that can undermine and attack French assets.

Occam's Razor suggests your Youtube guys have got it backwards.

Russia has already been undermining France's influence in Africa. It's not implausible, but seems like a stretch to want to face Russia directly over that.

One would think, instead, France would retaliate in kind by undermining Russian influence in the Caucasus (like in Armenia).
The French had labour division at first and Napoleon was still beaten by the Ivan...

I do not know why Russia has no civilian spinoffs of thei military gear like nuclear powered rocket who can fly for decades or Nuclear reactors on ships...

They are now building railroads, reusable Soyus rockets and thorium reactors..

Russia has all ressources it needs just microchips they need to import...

Instead to teach children about computers they learn to march :-(
World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]