Romanian President warns EU about dealing with Russia - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
http://www.bbj.hu/main/news_18992_roman ... n+gas.html
Romania, set to join the European Union Januar 1, will build more nuclear reactors and may reopen coal mines to slash its reliance on natural gas amid concerns Russia is using its dominance of the fuel for political ends.

Romania is accelerating plans to complete three nuclear reactors, President Traian Basescu said November 11 in the Romanian mountain resort of Sinaia. Europe may also lose out if Russia decides to sell more gas to China, he said. The country imports about a half the gas it uses, mainly from Russia's OAO Gazprom, the world's biggest gas producer and exporter. “Europe has an energy problem because Gazprom has a problem from the point of view of guaranteeing gas deliveries,” the 55 year-old president told journalists.”We believe that Europe's highest priority is that of seeking alternatives. We wonder when Gazprom will start telling us that if we're not good children it'll start giving the gas to China?” Gazprom, the state-controlled gas-export monopoly, supplies a quarter of Europe's gas and ships about 80% of that through Ukraine. The company cut supplies for three days in January in response to Ukraine's rejection of a fourfold increase in prices. That caused shortages in European countries including Romania, Italy and Hungary.

Russia in March agreed to supply China with 80 billion cubic meters of gas a year starting in 2011. Gazprom is considering three routes for those supplies, including a project to take gas from eastern Siberia. “To me it's clear that Gazprom will never be able to fully satisfy both the needs of China and those of the European Union,” Basescu said. Basescu, a former Bucharest mayor and transport minister, said Russia can pressure countries by allowing Gazprom to charge different prices. “Some countries get the gas for $120 per 1,000 cubic meters, some for $220, some for $180, and others for $280 or $300, in line with the interests that Moscow manifests one way or another through Gazprom,” Basescu said. Gazprom's pipelines also run through some areas where there is conflict, adding to concerns about supply disruptions, the president said, without naming any countries.
By Zel
Diversifying should be our main goal. The fewer Russian gas the fewer problems.
By dannymu

Diversifying should be our main goal. The fewer Russian gas the fewer problems.

QFT. Then the Russians will look for other markets or at least reconsider the way they do business with the EU.
By Shade2
Then the Russians will look for other markets or at least reconsider the way they do business with the EU.

As it should be. Closer integration of Russia with Asian markets can only be welcomed. The farther Russia is from Europe the better for Europe's people prosperity, security and freedom. On the other hand Russia's Asian partners are of such scale that it won't be able to dominate them and in fact they will certainly have calming effect on Russian imperialist ambitions.
By Kiroff
Resistance is futile. EurAsEC will dominate Europe with the Paris-Berlin-Moscow axis no matter how hard the USAID recipients try. Rome has never won a direct war with Byzantium.
By Shade2
Byzantium never faced HIV pandemic.
By dannymu
EurAsEC will dominate Europe with the Paris-Berlin-Moscow axis no matter how hard the USAID recipients try.

This evil axis is is the result of Chirac and Schroeder's policies. They should be deported to Russia for betraying the EU.
By stannis
What?

How did they betray Europe?

By that logic I could argue for Blair's deportation to the US.

"Evil axis"? :roll:
By dannymu
How did they betray Europe?

I said betray the EU NOT Europe. And Europe is a continent whereas the EU is a supra-national European organisation.
By dannymu
Since when do you care about the EU or betrayal of it?

I care about the EU but I won't care when france and GErmany finish their axis and teh EU ceases to bea supra-national organisation.
By Foxwood
I care about the EU but I won't care when france and GErmany finish their axis and teh EU ceases to bea supra-national organisation.

You sound selfish. If UK is not part of this axis is because they refused to be. Blame it on your government.

And btw I don't see the problem with Russian gaz. The demand is huge, they can supply...go ahead !
By Shade2
If UK is not part of this axis is because they refused to be.

Then you admit this axis exists ?
And why should UK choose to become German and Russian vassal ?
By dannymu
If UK is not part of this axis is because they refused to be. Blame it on your government.

The UK don't want the EU to be a supra-national body. Just ask the average Briton on the street or ask teh Conservative Party. And the UK can't ally with Germany or france because they are committed to a supra-national EU, something Britain don't want.
By Foxwood
Then you admit this axis exists ?

Sure, I admit that France and Germany are the countries with the most "weight" in the EU. Is that wrong? Anyone actually ignored that?

And why should UK choose to become German and Russian vassal ?

Man that came out of nowhere, what are you talking about?
By dannymu
I admit that France and Germany are the countries with the most "weight" in the EU. Is that wrong?

Not most weight. they are the unofficial leaders of the EU. They can do whatever they want. I remember a few years ago France or Germany escaped punishment by the EU for not having met some economic target by using their influence on smaller countries like Portugal, Greece. I call it corruption.
By Shade2
I admit that France and Germany are the countries with the most "weight" in the EU.

France and Germany are forging an alliance with Russia in order to dominate together Europe.
Poland must oppose this threat to her indepedent existance.
By Foxwood
Not most weight. they are the unofficial leaders of the EU. They can do whatever they want. I remember a few years ago France or Germany escaped punishment by the EU for not having met some economic target by using their influence on smaller countries like Portugal, Greece. I call it corruption.

They didn't met their economic objective because they used to spend so much to support the EU when other countries didn't.
What about the US that doesn't give a fuck about UN's vetos?

And yes they are the unofficial leaders and I don't see how this is a problem. Every organisation needs a leader, even the world chose for leader the US. To get back to the EU, France and Germany are 2 of the founding members and the ones with the most developped economy. UK could have been one of them as well too but they chose not to.
By Shade2
And yes they are the unofficial leaders and I don't see how this is a problem.

You are from France, I am from Poland. I don't see countries that have completely different attitude to terrorism, independence of my country to be leaders of Europe, especially as they try to create an alliance with de-facto dictatorship.
France and Germany are 2 of the founding members and the ones with the most developped economy. UK could have been one of them as well too but they chose not to.

Then UK will have to forge alliances with countries similiary concerned with the attempt to create Franco-Germania with Russia as its policeman.
We Poles know too well what happens when Russia and Germany work together against others.

No, it's history. Remember, I was an activist, I[…]

It's not just Mapuche, there are other indigenous[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]

Then prove it.