Why the EU? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Andres
Shade2 wrote:I can't see anything likable about country that tried to exterminate several nations by classyfing them as animals.
Then you are irrational, and not just for your inability to comprehend time diferences. I see much that is likable about Germany presently, even if it is not perfect, and despite the events of the past.

Efficiency and discipline is for the robots.
This statement is simply inane.

Yet she has an picture of a person who wanted to destroy Poland. Her nationalism is clearly visible.
Considering the irrationality that you display in the first part of your post, it doesn't surprise me that you are unable to see that she might see beyond a boolean logic.
By Shade2
Then you are irrational,

Please, do tell. I am very interested in an opinion of German what is so very rational about liking Germany that tried to exterminate several nations that were classified by Germany as animals.

. I see much that is likable about Germany presently,

Oh yes, like giving funds to organisation that tolerates Waffen SS marches, was co-founded by Nazis and its leader is portayed as victim of expulsions because she was born in Poland due to her father's role as soldier of the occupation force after invasion.
Yup, Germany is such a nice place.

Efficiency and discipline is for the robots.
This statement is simply inane.

Yeah, I guess you would take it so, and not understand. Perhaps that is why German propaganda in WW2 in Poland never was anything but joke to the Poles.

Considering the irrationality that you display in the first part of your post

Forgive me for not seeing rationality in liking a country that wanted to exterminate my people, perhaps I do not understand the rights of the Great German people and their destiny towards the world ?
it doesn't surprise me that you are unable to see that she might see beyond a boolean logic.

Well its obvious, after all I am a lowly Pole not a enlightened and reasnoble German.
By Andres
Shade2 wrote:I am very interested in an opinion of German what is so very rational about liking Germany that tried to exterminate several nations that were classified by Germany as animals.
Regardless that you appear to think that things are static, your inability to see that an object might possess several properties is what makes your view irrational.

Yup, Germany is such a nice place.
Indeed it is, despite the problems present.

Forgive me for not seeing rationality in liking a country that wanted to exterminate my people, perhaps I do not understand the rights of the Great German people and their destiny towards the world ?
Basically you liking them is not what makes your view irrational, but your inability to see anything positive in them.

Perhaps that is why German propaganda in WW2 in Poland never was anything but joke to the Poles.
Or perhaps it is no longer the early 1940s.

Well its obvious, after all I am a lowly Pole not a enlightened and reasnoble German.
Having only met a few poles, I don't know if your rational abilities in this area are low or high compared to the rest of the population, but I would imagine that your ability is likely to be lower rather than higher compared to the rest.
By Torwan
Yet she has an picture of a person who wanted to destroy Poland. Her nationalism is clearly visible.

Does the sentence "I am not a nationalist" mean anything to you?!

And who wanted to destroy Poland, from the picture?
By Joschka
the problem is, that shade2 is still living in the past of history.

its pretty paranoid to think germany would like to create a new empire through the eu...

the aim of the eu is to create a peaceful europe in friendship, and germany has not a few times made compromises to the own disadvantage to keep the idea of the eu alive.

but with people like shade2 it might be impossible to reach such glorious aims!?

im wondering why you are so full of hatred about germany, did you ever met one personally? have you ever been to germany? @shade2
By Thunderhawk
What, pray tell, is so glorious about the EU that wasnt around in the 60s?
By Joschka
the eu is an unique creation (a state sui generis) in the world, where had never been existing anything comparable. despite i dont like the unbelievable bureaucracy and the type of subsidies... im proud to live in the eu, which succeeded in eliminating duty, in removing enmity (which had dominated the european continent for whole history) in building a stable currency unit and much more. everybody who had dealed onetime himself with the huge differences in interests and ideas by the european states knows what a hard work building the eu has been and still is...
By Decky
The EU exists to create German domination ofEurope with them needing to go to war(tryed and failed).
By Joschka
one more paranoid guy...
originally the eu was founded, among other things, to keep germany under control by the french...
By Far-Right Sage
The EU exists to create German domination ofEurope with them needing to go to war(tryed and failed).

Shade2? Is that you?

The only German domination of Europe that exists is economic domination.
By ThirdWorldSoldier
Germany does have the biggest economy in Europe, but I would hardly call it economic domination seeing as there are numerous countries, such as France and the UK, who have respectable economies.
By Far-Right Sage
Germany does have the biggest economy in Europe, but I would hardly call it economic domination seeing as there are numerous countries, such as France and the UK, who have respectable economies.

Fair enough; it may not exactly be "domination", but it is no secret that, even with the existence of the European Union, the Germans are doing far better economically than either the British or the French. That's not to say that the United Kingdom or France are doing poorly, but the post-World War II attitude of holding Germany back doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit, nor would non-German Europeans even want it to, at this stage in the game.
By Ordord
I haven't read the whole discussion because, frankly, that takes too long. I do notice you're talking about Germany and I'd say that a number of factors will lead to its preeminence within the EU.

One of those factors is that Germany is, and will continue to be the top dog economically - but we should also pay some attention to social stability: Both Britain and France are contending with mounting social issues. Paris riots, etc.

Germany, unlike France and Britain, is marching head first in favor of further integration towards something of a super state. Going back to the coal and steel agreement, it seems to me Germany's spent much of its post-ww2 existence doing penance by leading the charge against national sovereignty.

Britain could foreseeably vie for equal clout within the EU, but I think it will remain at the fringe of the integration process, not in the least because of its "special relationship" with the US, but also simply because it hasn't turned its cheek to nationalism like Germany has.

Joschka made a comment about the EU being a unique creation. I'm not so sure about that. Europe has historically, since westphalia(and well before), tried to tame its internal competitiveness with supranational organizations. Congress of Vienna is one example. I also see many parallels between the papacy of the middle ages and the way brussels operates now. Basically, I don't think like many pro-eu folks do - this integration process just seems like another round of the same game they've been playing since the 17th century(and before).

Whether or not this new supranational organization transcends its predecessors is really up to the europeans themselves, and maybe more so political conditions that might force western europe and its eastern periphery closer together: russia.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]