A question to liberals - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Mordimer wrote:And not only, as you might have guessed.
I don't get liberals and libertarians.For isn't every man free in every system? Isn't the amount of thing which are punished by law the only difference between the political systems?

And I, as a Libertarian, think far less things should be punished by law. When too many things are illegal, you don't have a free society.
Mordimer wrote:And not only, as you might have guessed.
I don't get liberals and libertarians.For isn't every man free in every system? Isn't the amount of thing which are punished by law the only difference between the political systems? If so, then it means that liberals are fighting for less repression from the state. Why? Well, I dunno.

Why do I oppose government oppression? Because I don't want to be oppressed by the government, nor do I see any particular reason to cause others to suffer even if I were able to arrange it so that I would not. Empathy, I suppose you could say. It's a vital human quality.

Maybe because they are not content with the basic law of nature that strong rule over the weak?

That is hardly a "basic law of nature." About the only "law" one might adequately describe is that "the species that makes best use of their available energy will emerge the victor in the long run." Being strong when you don't need to be strong, merely to dominate others who need not be dominated, is a wasteful and self-destructive proposition. To state a tautology that you probably ought to be reminded about; one only needs to be as strong as one needs to be, no more.

Maybe because they don't have guts to go for power themselves so they want to take the power from those who have it?

Not everyone has an irrational instinct for absolute domination; some of us have a reasoned and measured respect for that tool. I don't really care about power except in as much as it is required to protect myself.

Maybe because they don't realize that there are many systems which are far more effective then liberal ones?

There are systems that are more productive, perhaps, but few that are less effective. Societies are a long-term proposition, and long-term efficacy is often at odds with short-term productivity. Compelling everyone to work by force, for example, has a lot of short-term economic benefits, but it comes at a tremendous long-term cost--social instability and revolution.

If a black person is born and brought up in a Eur[…]

I trust Biden with my country, I wouldn't go as[…]

@Pants-of-dog the tweets address official statem[…]

No dummy, my source is Hans Rosling. https://en.[…]