Do Liberals believe in Multiculturalism or Integration? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Donald wrote:I submit that you cannot.

Sure. At least you are not making comments about my ass or my mom.

Because this would be the most rational approach to official multiculturalism. It is an institution, not a church. There isn't some kind of magic that guarantees the success of any particular institution.

So it is no different from any other institution or policy ever created by humans. How does this help us understand anything?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Sure. At least you are not making comments about my ass or my mom.

This is quite the spectacular Freudian slip.

When have I ever made comments about your mom? The meme is that you let your wife, a former PoFo'er, peg you. But somehow your mom has entered this picture.

Edit: or your ass for that matter?

So it is no different from any other institution or policy ever created by humans. How does this help us understand anything?

It could help us understand the strengths of Canada's own immigration policies, which tend to favour educated immigrants from Southeast and East Asia. Also, our educational standards in the job market are very good and they discourage a lot of low quality immigration.

In other words, Canada's institution of multiculturalism needs to be protected from itself.
Donald wrote:This is quite the spectacular Freudian slip.

Well, that didn't take long for you to make it personal.

When have I ever made comments about your mom? The meme is that you let your wife, a former PoFo'er, peg you. But somehow your mom has entered this picture.

Nor did it take long for you to start talking about my ass. This is why I always hesitate responding to you.

No, I am not going to help you remember when you tried to insult my mom.

It could help us understand the strengths of Canada's own immigration policies, which tend to favour educated immigrants from Southeast and East Asia. Also, our educational standards in the job market are very good and they discourage a lot of low quality immigration.

This has nothing to do with your previous comment.

In other words, Canada's institution of multiculturalism needs to be protected from itself.

This seems like a nonsensical phrase.
@Donald
For the record, we're taking in plenty of refugees who's education isn't what it could be if the families hadn't had to live in surviver camps, but hopefully they'll catch up. The language thing is an added effort, to be sure.

@Pants-of-dog
Here's hoping get your mother and wife are well. Is it rude to hope your bottom's well, too? :)
Decky wrote:People tend to come down to your own low level of posting when you enter a thread PoD, why would they waste actual arguments on you? You should be used to that by now.

I find it odd that you consistently respond to me in this manner, despite any lack of provocation.

----------------

There are two reasons why Canada is more successful when it comes to multiculturalism and integrating immigrants.

The first is the obvious one: Canada has set up its economic system to benefit from immigration. We have tons of medical professionals from all around the world who were educated on someone else's dime. The same with architects and engineers.

The second is a bit more esoteric. Since Canada has been pursuing multiculturalism since the 1970s, we are far ahead of other countries who are only worrying about it now. And this has crept into the Canadian identity: one where Canadians see themselves as not having a particular ethnic identity and accepting of all ethnicities.

Now, the first one is obviously considered more important by the government, and the supposed equality of all ethnicities is often undermined by economic concerns. The most obvious example of this the oppression of indigenous people. Their cultures are deliberately undervalued, because to treat them as equal to the Canadian identity would be to invite threats to the existing economic order.
Stormsmith wrote:@Donald
For the record, we're taking in plenty of refugees who's education isn't what it could be if the families hadn't had to live in surviver camps, but hopefully they'll catch up. The language thing is an added effort, to be sure.

@Pants-of-dog
Here's hoping get your mother and wife are well. Is it rude to hope your bottom's well, too? :)

1st world countries taking in refugees from 3rd world countries and Islamic countries are potty. It's a recipe for disaster. The vast majority are ungrateful savages, and a drain on resources. They should be homed in similar countries to where they came from. In the UK our prisons are full of immigrants, and the NHS can't cope. Schools are crammed and the infrastructure is collapsing, however we still have stupid liberals marching up the road carrying banners reading "let them in". Absolute bloody madness !!
I also want to blame immigrants and refugees for the problems caused by corrupt banks and ineffective tax enforcement. All those 20-something Poles working full time put huge strain on the public services they barely use whilst the lack of tax revenues from trans national corporations isn't a problem.
@Pants-of-dog on point 2:
I would argue a little differently. Our approach is historic: Canada rejected slavery in the 1790's by accepting black men without a biase. Black women along side of white women had to wait for the right to vote. Unfortunately, from 1885 to 1923, we imposed a head tax on Chinese immigrants/Shang hired folks. I don't have to tell you what we did to the Japanese during WWII. But after the the war, we seem to have understood the principle of egalitarianism.

We returned to our roots - different demographics doesn't matter
Donald wrote:...I don't really look at it that way. I see Canada as being uniquely adept at avoiding problems that surmount in Europe or America. The last thing we should do is develop an exceptionalistic attitude toward Canada's official multiculturalism. We should view it as an institution that can easily be strained and become vulnerable to outside instability...

The experiment of multiculturalism has hardly been running any time at all, so no-one can confidently claim that it works, except a maybe a utopian dreamer. It'll be a while before we see the definite results

We have some early indications though: it only seems to be wealthy countries who seem able to sustain this rickety structure, and this is by a constant input of welfare and services (bread and circuses). When we see relatively poor countries being able to sustain it then we might be able to conclude that it can actually work.
jakell wrote:The experiment of multiculturalism has hardly been running any time at all, so no-one can confidently claim that it works, except a maybe a utopian dreamer. It'll be a while before we see the definite results

We have some early indications though: it only seems to be wealthy countries who seem able to sustain this rickety structure, and this is by a constant input of welfare and services (bread and circuses). When we see relatively poor countries being able to sustain it then we might be able to conclude that it can actually work.

I would class the UK as a wealth country, and it doesn't work here at all. Swarms off immigrants congregating in areas they have managed to run down and turn into ghettos. Immigrants in the UK constitute a totally disproportionate amount of people that are in prison. As well as this, the indigenous people have to suffer the liberals, who tell us how wonderful diversity is.
AFAIK wrote:I also want to blame immigrants and refugees for the problems caused by corrupt banks and ineffective tax enforcement. All those 20-something Poles working full time put huge strain on the public services they barely use whilst the lack of tax revenues from trans national corporations isn't a problem.

The banks are a totally different argument. Yes, there are a lot of 20-something Poles paying their taxes, but there are also a lot of EU immigrants filling our prisons and hospital wards. Unfortunately we can't have one without the other, so I am going for the "keep them out" option
Know It All wrote:... The vast majority are ungrateful savages,

That is an opinion and not an argument.

and a drain on resources.

Please provide evidence for this claim, thank you.

They should be homed in similar countries to where they came from.

Why not just let them decide? Many white people seem to have the idea that they can shuffle people of colour around wherever they want.

In the UK our prisons are full of immigrants, and the NHS can't cope. Schools are crammed and the infrastructure is collapsing, ...

Please provide evidence for these claims. Thank you.

------------------

Stormsmith wrote:@Pants-of-dog on point 2:
I would argue a little differently. Our approach is historic: Canada rejected slavery in the 1790's by accepting black men without a bias. Black women along side of white women had to wait for the right to vote. Unfortunately, from 1885 to 1923, we imposed a head tax on Chinese immigrants/Shang hired folks. I don't have to tell you what we did to the Japanese during WWII. But after the the war, we seem to have understood the principle of egalitarianism.

We returned to our roots - different demographics doesn't matter

To a degree, yes, but ethnic equality in Canada is not perfect. There are still issues concerning racism against blacks and indigenous people. These problems stem from economics.

This thread, however, is about immigrants, and since Canada benefits economically from immigration, the he problems we do have concerning ethnic minorities are not with immigrants.

-----------------

jakell wrote:The experiment of multiculturalism has hardly been running any time at all, so no-one can confidently claim that it works, except a maybe a utopian dreamer. It'll be a while before we see the definite results.

By the same logic, no one can confidently claim that it does not work, except maybe a...whatever the opposite of a utopian dreamer is.

I am not sure that you are correct. While many poor countries have problems due to their poverty or a legacy of colonialism and imperialism, they do not seem to have troubles with ethnic or cultural diversity.

-----------------

Know It All wrote:I would class the UK as a wealth country, and it doesn't work here at all.

The Scottish people, the Welsh, the Brits and the Irish seem to be getting along. Even though the English can't seem to keep their hands off Irish lands.

Swarms off immigrants congregating in areas they have managed to run down and turn into ghettos. Immigrants in the UK constitute a totally disproportionate amount of people that are in prison. ...

Please provide evidence for these claims. Thank you.
I am not sure that you are correct. While many poor countries have problems due to their poverty or a legacy of colonialism and imperialism, they do not seem to have troubles with ethnic or cultural diversity.

You can also find studies showing the greater the diversity, the less tolerant the people. You will find plenty of studies and statistics to back up either side of the argument. Jakell is correct in we just don't know yet.
jakell wrote: The experiment of multiculturalism has hardly been running any time at all, so no-one can confidently claim that it works, except a maybe a utopian dreamer. It'll be a while before we see the definite results.

Pants-of-dog wrote:...By the same logic, no one can confidently claim that it does not work, except maybe a...whatever the opposite of a utopian dreamer is.

Which is why I called it an experiment. It's a pretty irreversible experiment though, but some people like to tinker (with other people's lives), especially those who simply want change at any cost.

I did mention some early indications though.
One Degree wrote:You can also find studies showing the greater the diversity, the less tolerant the people.

Please provide a link to one of these studies. Thank you.

You will find plenty of studies and statistics to back up either side of the argument. Jakell is correct in we just don't know yet.

Your faith is not an argument.

-----------------

jakell wrote:Which is why I called it an experiment. It's a pretty irreversible experiment though, but some people like to tinker, especially those who simply want change at any cost.

I did mention some early indications though.

Yes, you mentioned poor countries, but I do not agree that poor countries have a problem with multiculturalism. Much the same way I do not agree that i migration into the UK has created any unsustainable issues.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Two things can be true at once: Russia doesn't ha[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]