Ideal citizens? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By silvostepa
I am momentarily in a phase when I firmly advocate that it’s the citizen’s fault if the political environment turns overly corrupt(or just inefficient), that is obviously because (for example) dominant masses of citizens don’t really understand in what world they are living(they don’t really care about politics that much to even understand how it even works or what problem it faces or are just simply ignorant) and as a result they may produce politicians that exploits their vulnerabilities in their own interest. However, the citizens might suffer from poverty or they just want to focus on careers(not political) meaning that they don’t care that much about politics or think they cannot influence the political environment whatsoever. The question is how can we make a dominant mass of citizens that engages as an external influence in the political environment if needed to address their opinions and together debate on public political activities(therefore helping politicians to better understand problems that citizens in communities are facing for example). However, the citizens are to be restrained if they desire to make the political environment too flexible to their opinions, direct democracy shall be avoided(because citizens, even if they are well informed, that doesn't make them wise).

How would someone convince citizens learn about politics to support political environment on public activities, when they will ask about the rewards and will surely question the idea, saying that it is their responsibility, that’s why they pay taxes etc. ?

I am interested if any of you thinks about a mechanism that can make and reward accordingly ideal citizens and how would you do it. I currently develop a (ideal)mechanism that has an instrument such as a video game(my country can’t strongly compete internationally with movies or animes, but fortunately game developers haven’t made a type 3 game with useful content that has interferences in the real world), an education system reform by taking responsibilities from the Ministry of Education and a recognition system. If any of you thinks this is a issue worth debating, then I might expand the subject, if not just avoid it.
How would someone convince citizens learn about politics to support political environment on public activities, when they will ask about the rewards and will surely question the idea, saying that it is their responsibility, that’s why they pay taxes etc. ?

Very good question, and I am surprised that nobody has replied other than me. In my opinion, only rewarding people for civil service doesn't necessarily solve the problem. Then you would have certain people only contributing various services because they get the reward. While this might be inevitable in any system, I think people need to see that in order to receive life-benefitting services, it is a necessity to participate in a polity and contribute to the common stock. This means paying fees for using certain common resources, or performing service when these are used. That's my brief take on it anyway
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The Greek American wife voted for the asshole w[…]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the Whit[…]