Is liberalism necessarily left-wing? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rei Murasame wrote: Wow, that certainly sounds interesting. Liberal governments themselves don't seem to agree with this though.

No one expects them to agree with it. In fact, we expect the gov't to try and slip its leash all the time. And it is unfortunately successful too much of the time.

That doesn't refute anything I have said, though. The fact that we can only apply this theory imperfectly does not mean that there is anything wrong with the theory.
I doubt "economic score: 1" suggests "heavy capitalist edge". I don't think that liberalism is necessarily left-wing. While there are many who are left, you seem to be a centrist, and I am definitely right.

After analysing the meaning of some questions better my political compass has changed to economic score 3 and authoritarian/liberal -1.

The thing is, I used to align myself with the tolerant liberal left for some years, specially when I was a teenager, but when I realized the sheer amounts of political correctness I gave. I don't have a place on the right as well - I'm not religious or socially conservative enough to be accepted by conservatives (even though I share some conservative views like euro-skepticism) and I'm not capitalist enough to be considered a libertarian (right-wing).

I find myself progressively becoming more protectionist as well. Despite my liberal views I find state authority to be essential to society in many areas and I support a small but strong government, namely military wise. I also find myself becoming more and more anti-immigration and in favour of restricting it, and I think national culture and values are more desirable than foreign (immigrant) ones. I prefer realism and pragmatism over utopia and idealism. The things I agree with modern liberals are gay marriage, abortion, prostitution (regulation), minor drugs legalization, and just a little of welfare. On everything else I am easily right wing.
Yes, liberalism is left-wing... why do you think all of the political parties identified as liberal are considered to be on the left? Just because liberals aren't communists does not make them at all conservative or right-leaning.

As I said in another post, political democracy is a major innovation and something all leftists ought to get behind and find ways to STRENGTHEN instead of blanketly condemn.

The opposition of the far-left to modest improvements in the political situation is one of the most self-defeating and insane things
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]