A Good Critique Of Liberalism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Although influenced by liberalism, and indeed able to empathise with it, I oppose much of its morphology, particulary its ontological core. I have decided to postt he link of a great book of a Teacher at my own university which has influenced my thought consierably. Bascially it takes some of liberalism's themes and analyses them. I would love to hear what you think:

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/arblaster.htm
By Comrade Ogilvy
Is no one intertested in this? I can personally testify that it is a great read.
By skeptik
Paul Doran wrote:Is no one intertested in this? I can personally testify that it is a great read.

I've just read your thread, and only just printed out the link. I would very much like to discuss this with you. I'll let you know when I've finished reading it... ;)
By skeptik
...almost done (my work is pretty full on right now). A good read so far... 8)
By skeptik
PHEW!

.....only took me 9 days... :knife:

I've just been distracted.

I did enjoy it though. I may even buy the book.

I thought one of Arblaster's most sussinct points was right at the last paragraph:

"For liberalism is not reducible to a set of general and abstract propositions. It is a historical movement of ideas and a political and social practice. We misread it's character and underestimate its chameleon talents if we abstract too much from its actual history..."

I also rather liked:

"The pragmatic case for tolerance accepts that differences in belief and behaviour exist, and cannot be eliminated, whether or not it is in principle desirable that they should be so eliminated."

Anyone else out there read it?
If you're interested in Liberalism, here's another that you might find worthwhile www. LiberalsLikeChrist . Org / Liberals

This is not a biological adaptation, it’s a cultu[…]

Yes, these are the type of problems suffered in t[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is very clear that Zionists executed men, wome[…]

Somehow this is the CIA's fault. I'm sure.