CBS refuses to air antibush commercial @ superbowl - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By SpiderMonkey
Censoring the opposition is the sign of a weak government.

Is it me or are bushists getting more and more desperate these days?

The only bad thing about this is that the administration might do something silly as it dies.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Censoring the opposition is the sign of a weak government.

I thought the control over others was a sign of your power?

By that theory the powerless government will fix the election in the ultimate example of how little influence it has.

You really DO like killing the English language, don't you?
By tragicclown
You are missing the point, a very powerful organization doesn't care one way or the other for criticism because no criticism can effect the outcome, a weak organization looks to stamp out criticism because it poses a legitimate threat.

Why censor opposition speech if that speech is totally unable to harm the government, there would be no point. So, it follows that if you do censure, it assumes that the thing censured must pose at least some sort of a threat.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Why censor opposition speech if that speech is totally unable to harm the government

Because you can.
By Cap
Goranhammer wrote:Now before you say I generalize, keep in mind I said MOST on both occasions.

Yeah, well that would still be a little stereotyping in action now wouldn't it?

So let me get your position straight...

Conservatives are haves, liberals are have-nots.
Conservatives are intelligent and aware, liberals are stupid and ignorant of the facts.

(for the MOST part, as you say)

Does that sum it up? :eh:

My point is, if most of the stupid people become liberals, then the USA would be mostly a liberal country (going by your logic of stupid=liberal), because the majority of the population is generally ignorant (this goes for any country --most people are stupid-- I'm not picking on the US by any means).

It doesn't strike me that the USA is a left-leaning country though, for the most part.

Cap 8)
By Comrade Ogilvy
I don't think they should air political advertisements during the superbowl at all- I want to see the game, with boobs and talking animals doing funny things in between- I want to be entertained not talked to by politicians, there is the rest of the year to do that leave those five hours or so to the sport and mindless entertainment. They have plenty of time for their ads- leave it alone.
By Goranhammer
CaptainCanada wrote:It doesn't strike me that the USA is a left-leaning country though, for the most part.

American GOVERNMENT isn't left-leaning, but I would say the American PUBLIC very much is.

Okay, in theory, let's go into a New York street corner. We'll put up a sign that says "poll for people who feel they don't know much about politics", and eventually we'll take 100 people. Okay, now this is 100 people who proclaim they have no working in-depth knowledge of politics.

Now let's make up a fictional test.

1. What did you say to yourself when you found out Bill Clinton had an affair in the White House?

a) What the hell was he thinking?
b) I hope he shot it in her eye.

2. How did you feel about the Iran-Contra affair?

a) Understandable. The Cold War and overall conflict with Russia needed to be financed somehow.
b) Reagan supports terrorism.

3. What did you think about Bush's tax cuts while, even though they were cut for everyone, were cut more for the rich?

a) They pay more taxes than me anyways. I can see why they'd get a bigger cut.
b) Fuck Bush.

4. If you could quit your job tomorrow and know that the government would take care of you, what would you say?

a) Uh, no. I strive to give myself and/or my family a nice place and security.
b) Fuck yeah! Where do I sign up?

-------------------------------------------------

How do YOU imagine the scores would turn out?

Oh and yes, I do think the cons are pretty much haves, and the libs are have-nots. Libs have nothing to lose, and everything to gain with their ideas.
By Cap
Okay, well that's a pretty flawed test first of all... :D

And I guess the majority of libs in your country don't have the internet, or decide not to talk about politics, because most of the Americans I've spoken with are right-leaning.

Just out of curiosity, how would you answer the last question of your quiz?

And regarding your last paragraph, maybe it's because libs are more selfless.

Cap 8)
By Goranhammer
CaptainCanada wrote:Okay, well that's a pretty flawed test first of all...

Well, were this a real field experiment, it'd be longer and more diverse. This was just to give you a feel for it.

And I guess the majority of libs in your country don't have the internet, or decide not to talk about politics, because most of the Americans I've spoken with are right-leaning.

I think most Americans on these boards are very left. And I agree that most do not talk about politics. It's considered "taboo" by most people, as is religion (even I don't like to get into long discussions on religion, because it's based more on belief than fact).

Just out of curiosity, how would you answer the last question of your quiz?

And regarding your last paragraph, maybe it's because libs are more selfless.

I'd answer A (myself, not my family...condom hasn't broke yet). And it's a split highway as far as how I see libs. I see some libs as totally selfless. I see other libs as the most selfish people in the world.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]