Peru, Chile and Bolivia hit by floods after heavy rain - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Social_Critic wrote:Around here nobody points out science.

Actually, almost every single climate change thread has copious links to study showing that anthropogenic climate change is real.

I can't even find anybody who understands what a model grid means,

A model grid is a grid in a model that defines the resolution of the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cli ... odel_grids

or what is goofy scenario planning. All I get is stares.

Goofy is subjective.

PoFo isn't much better. It's impossible to discuss a subject when there's panic and everybody runs around as if te world were about to catch on fire. It's kinda funny.

"HYSTERICAL."
Pants, I said "around here". This means literally around here, my locus. But I also said PoFo isn't much better. It's a bit better, because PoFo has a more educated and focused population than Eastern Spain.

And now we have to rehash this again. I never said anthropogenic global warming wasn't taking place. What I keep saying is there's no evidence for the panic I see around here. We got children drawing pictures of a world on fire, discussions about what's going to happen when sea level rises 2 meters, super storms, that Spain is going to look like the Sahara desert, and all sorts of garbage discussions on TV by people who are getting on the panic mongering bandwagon because its the panic du jour. you guys really ought to cut down the hysteria because you will accomplish nothing as long as china and India are burning more coal anyway.

And the damn models are trash if we compare the claims to the results. So, one more time, the money ought to go into data gathering and model improvements. And if you do know about model development why don't you discuss grid improvements instead of getting into these dumb discussions where you throw graphs at each others' heads as if you were teenagers in a food fight?
Social_Critic wrote:Pants, I said "around here". This means literally around here, my locus. But I also said PoFo isn't much better. It's a bit better, because PoFo has a more educated and focused population than Eastern Spain.

You should not assume that anyone actually knows or cares where you are. But thanks for agreeing that climate change is actually supported by science.

And now we have to rehash this again. I never said anthropogenic global warming wasn't taking place. What I keep saying is there's no evidence for the panic I see around here.

"HYSTERIA."

We got children drawing pictures of a world on fire, discussions about what's going to happen when sea level rises 2 meters, super storms, that Spain is going to look like the Sahara desert, and all sorts of garbage discussions on TV by people who are getting on the panic mongering bandwagon because its the panic du jour. you guys really ought to cut down the hysteria because you will accomplish nothing as long as china and India are burning more coal anyway.

"HYSTERIA. HYSTERIA. HYSTERIA. HYSTERIA. HYSTERIA. HYSTERIA."

And the damn models are trash if we compare the claims to the results. So, one more time, the money ought to go into data gathering and model improvements. And if you do know about model development why don't you discuss grid improvements instead of getting into these dumb discussions where you throw graphs at each others' heads as if you were teenagers in a food fight?

No, the models are as good as the models need to be. Are they perfect? No. Do they have to be? No.

--------------------------------------

wat0n wrote:I agree with your points on climate change, but this is usual in the area, we call it "Bolivian winter" around here.

I think it's a combination of this and increasing climate irregularities. There was even rain in the Atacama.
Social_Critic wrote:Pants, if the models are good enough then should we cancel all new model development? Good enough for what?

They are good enough to model overall climate trends over decades.

Rain in the atacama...try google for ancient atacama flooding events

No. Why should I look up irrelevant things?
Huh, so they are. Geez, and I thought we had a good fight going and now you end up agreeing with me? Of course they are good enough to model the future several decades forward.

but they aren't good enough to tell us which options are more efficient so we can act in an intelligent way. In other words they aren't fit for our needs.

The funniest thing is that these clowns actually […]

@Godstud , @Tainari88 , @Potemkin @Verv […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. Ther[…]

@QatzelOk , the only reason you hate cars is beca[…]