Your solution for the Mexican drug war? - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Not that it really matters. Relative alcohol danger is still higher than cocaine by quite a large margin.

Even if your assertion is true, what difference does it make? Are you somehow asserting that we ought to decide what is legal based upon its danger relative to alcohol? Or are you, following the rational conclusion, asserting that since both are killers both should be illegal?

You seem to misunderstand how laws are made. If sufficient people want cocaine legalized, it will be. It is not a decision that will be made by the "Council of Rational Mensa Members". It will be made by voters.
Drlee wrote:Even if your assertion is true, what difference does it make? Are you somehow asserting that we ought to decide what is legal based upon its danger relative to alcohol? Or are you, following the rational conclusion, asserting that since both are killers both should be illegal?

You seem to misunderstand how laws are made. If sufficient people want cocaine legalized, it will be. It is not a decision that will be made by the "Council of Rational Mensa Members". It will be made by voters.

Yeah vote by feeling not by logic. Good one. :lol:
I'm sorry. I forgot that you still think this is Vulcan. :roll:

So explain this to me.

Virtually unrestricted alcohol use (according to you) is killing more people than restricted cocaine use. So you conclude that the logical solution is for voters to vote for potentially far more cocaine use? :lol:

You need to brush up on "logic".

Tell me again... What is it that the voters gain from increased cocaine deaths?
Drlee wrote:Virtually unrestricted alcohol use (according to you) is killing more people than restricted cocaine use. So you conclude that the logical solution is for voters to vote for potentially far more cocaine use? :lol:

No, concluding that what we are doing now is futile and that the alternative can provide us with a few more resources (tax, less money spent on stupid useless war/ money spent on prisoners/etc) to deal with the problem is my official reason why this is a sensible consideration.
Do you even ever bother to read before posting idiocy?

You need to brush up on "logic".

Coming from someone who believe in fairy tales. Perhaps if you ask jesus to turn heroine into wine and cocaine into bread we can fix this problem.
Coming from someone who believe in fairy tales. Perhaps if you ask jesus to turn heroine into wine and cocaine into bread we can fix this problem.

How old are you? Does your mom know you are on her computer? :roll:

I love it when atheists get angry. It means they are out of clichés.

No, concluding that what we are doing now is futile and that the alternative can provide us with a few more resources (tax, less money spent on stupid useless war/ money spent on prisoners/etc) to deal with the problem is my official reason why this is a sensible consideration.

And is a "sensible consideration" absolute truth? Is there room for disagreement? Is you faith in your OPINION so great that you consider everyone with a different viewpoint illogical?

Very childish point of view. Very.
I liked the comment about deporting them to the mideast. LMAO.
Not only they'll go out of bussiness because there's a monopoly to some sort ny the Baalbak clans on it, but probably will be killed off for even trying to compete.

They cant even start there. The network that produces and distributes drugs of all sorts across the mideast, Africa, part of south America and central Asia is tight and controlled.
If you're not born into it, its practically impossible to get in.
How old are you? Does your mom know you are on her computer? :roll:

I love it when atheists get angry. It means they are out of clichés.

cry more.
And is a "sensible consideration" absolute truth? Is there room for disagreement?

Feel free to disagree all you want. Try to use facts if your allergy allows you.

Is you faith in your OPINION so great that you consider everyone with a different viewpoint illogical?

Again, there is no faith in my opinion. There is trust in my opinion. Faith disregards facts. I know you are allergic to facts, but they are good.
And no, different viewpoints are welcomed. You made an idiotic claim:
Even if your assertion is true, what difference does it make? Are you somehow asserting that we ought to decide what is legal based upon its danger relative to alcohol? Or are you, following the rational conclusion, asserting that since both are killers both should be illegal?

And I explained earlier why this was idiotic. Please don't embarrass yourself any further.
I am seriously enjoying making you angry. It is fun to see what new insults you rise to. Keep trying. You are way out of your league. Just remember to stay on topic Mr. Confidence. You are looking really good so far.
Drlee wrote:I am seriously enjoying making you angry. It is fun to see what new insults you rise to. Keep trying. You are way out of your league. Just remember to stay on topic Mr. Confidence. You are looking really good so far.

Ha! it is interesting how you perceive a reflection of your own arguments as an insult. I would not have imagine that. If you don't like offtopic then stop posting offtopic shit. You cannot complain when you are the first to do it!
XogGyux wrote:I think one of the things that could make this a politically viable policy is that the policies to legalize it will include provisions to protect american farmers/american jobs/american industries. In other words, I think for this to be politically viable, laws will favor or limit the production of drugs here in the united states. Therefore I think at the beginning of this hypothetical period Mexico and similar countries with heavy drug cartels will have a short period of disarray (years) before there is stabilization. I do think stabilization will return and will make the country far more stable and safer. Economic help from the US should be encouraged to speed up this transition.

How does this relate to what I said?
Pants-of-dog wrote:How does this relate to what I said?

It relates in the following way: In an hypothetical scenario were drugs are legalized, i believe provisions would be made by US law-makes so that the drugs are produced in the United States (for the reasons I stated previously).
You said that Mexico only needs to legalize transport, but this might ultimately be meaningless as the drugs would be produced in the US in this hypothetical case.
Furthermore the vacuum of resources/money that this shift of production will cause, will probably lead to a temporary rise in chaos and violence in drug-cartel infested countries. Which brings me back to your argument, I think initially, it is reasonable to think violence might be exasperated even if long-run I do agree will lead to a overall reduction (like I stated previously.)
Did I explain myself?
XogGyux wrote:It relates in the following way: In an hypothetical scenario were drugs are legalized, i believe provisions would be made by US law-makes so that the drugs are produced in the United States (for the reasons I stated previously).

I have no idea if the climate in the US is good for growing coca plants. But I doubt that legislators will overcome many years of being taught drugs are bad if we tell them they can make the drugs themselves.

You said that Mexico only needs to legalize transport, but this might ultimately be meaningless as the drugs would be produced in the US in this hypothetical case.

Sure. If you guys could get your nose candy out of Mexico, then Mexico wouldn't have to deal with the violence caused by US drug addicts.

Furthermore the vacuum of resources/money that this shift of production will cause, will probably lead to a temporary rise in chaos and violence in drug-cartel infested countries. Which brings me back to your argument, I think initially, it is reasonable to think violence might be exasperated even if long-run I do agree will lead to a overall reduction (like I stated previously.)
Did I explain myself?

No. The main reason for the drug cartel violence in Mexico is to control the smuggling of drugs to US consumers. If there was no smuggling, there would be no need for violence. I have no idea why you think that taking away the cause of violence will lead to a temporary rise in violence.
I am still waiting for someone to tell me why it is wise for the voters to accept a dramatically increase in drug deaths, more bankrupted families, more deadly drivers and more tax and regulation.
Drlee wrote:I am still waiting for someone to tell me why it is wise for the voters to accept a dramatically increase in drug deaths, more bankrupted families, more deadly drivers and more tax and regulation.

Are you talking about legalising cocaine?
Pants-of-dog wrote:I have no idea if the climate in the US is good for growing coca plants.

Neither do I. The US does have vast diversity of weather and there are multiple varieties of coca plants that thrive under different conditions. In addition, a hypothetical legal coca plant might benefit from the bio-technologies that we currently use in most of our crops. So an educated guess is that a combination of all those three might yield a suitable growable plant in US soil.
As I understand, the real work comes with processing. I do believe, in the event of legalization, we would want to keep processing inside this country. I think this way there can be regulation (make sure poison do not make it to the drug, even potency, etc).
A scenario where drugs are legal in the US, but illegal in latin america probably won't do much to help them anyway.
A scenario where drugs are legal in the US and at least manufacturing is legal in latin america could lead to potential skirmishes in which the cartels terrorize legal manufacturers or even tries to taint legally produced "merchandise" in order to incite panic in consumers in the US and discourage the population from buying legally and instead buy illegal (thus not resolving all the problems associated with illegality).
But I doubt that legislators will overcome many years of being taught drugs are bad if we tell them they can make the drugs themselves.

Now? Yes (perhaps). But in order to this even becoming a possibility to be considered there must occur a dramatic paradigm shift. Once they are willing to consider this possibility, you have to consider the pros/cons. Certainly the economy benefits is a big pro and any politician that eventually decides to support this will have to point it out.
No. The main reason for the drug cartel violence in Mexico is to control the smuggling of drugs to US consumers. If there was no smuggling, there would be no need for violence. I have no idea why you think that taking away the cause of violence will lead to a temporary rise in violence.

You take a away the source of income of criminals (in many cases violent criminals). However they are still criminals (or are you also planning on forgiving them). Now they have less resources to bribe the police, to give to townships that protect them, to give them to informants or to pay for protection. Fight between themselves might also start to happen as they all try to compete for a dramatically smaller market (maybe to other countries, etc). In any event, they are still criminals and they won't be happy. So I think these unhappy criminals are a recipe for a transient period of raise in violence. Maybe months, maybe years depending how quickly their markets disappear and their cashflow ends.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why it is wise for the voters to accept a dramatically increase in drug deaths, more bankrupted families, more deadly drivers and more tax and regulation.

As compared to our very successful drug on drugs? (sarcasm). Look if you can come with a reasonable system that can eliminate drug consumption in the US sign me in, furthermore sign me in for alcohol and tobacco as well since they are just as shit. But the reality of the world we live is that prohibition does not work. People still have access to drugs, but rather than the money/resources of this illegal transaction going into helping society, they go back to drug dealers and cartel leaders. In other words, the one thing that illegalization of drugs is doing is making sure all the money from drugs go to criminals. Not just that but we also spend billions of dollars trying to prevent this, we spend billions of dollars putting people in prison for non-violent crimes, etc. The list goes on.
Like I said, if you have a magic secret plan that can realistically put a stop to drugs I am all ears.
XogGyux wrote:You take a away the source of income of criminals (in many cases violent criminals). However they are still criminals (or are you also planning on forgiving them). Now they have less resources to bribe the police, to give to townships that protect them, to give them to informants or to pay for protection. Fight between themselves might also start to happen as they all try to compete for a dramatically smaller market (maybe to other countries, etc). In any event, they are still criminals and they won't be happy. So I think these unhappy criminals are a recipe for a transient period of raise in violence. Maybe months, maybe years depending how quickly their markets disappear and their cashflow ends.

What would be their incentive for being violent? To control a smuggling route that no one needs any more?

As compared to our very successful drug on drugs? (sarcasm). Look if you can come with a reasonable system that can eliminate drug consumption in the US sign me in, furthermore sign me in for alcohol and tobacco as well since they are just as shit. But the reality of the world we live is that prohibition does not work. People still have access to drugs, but rather than the money/resources of this illegal transaction going into helping society, they go back to drug dealers and cartel leaders. In other words, the one thing that illegalization of drugs is doing is making sure all the money from drugs go to criminals. Not just that but we also spend billions of dollars trying to prevent this, we spend billions of dollars putting people in prison for non-violent crimes, etc. The list goes on.
Like I said, if you have a magic secret plan that can realistically put a stop to drugs I am all ears.[/quote]
What would be their incentive for being violent? To control a smuggling route that no one needs any more?

Survivance. Like I said, criminals won't stop being criminals. Even if the governments of their respective countries agree they will no longer actively pursuit those whose only crime was to produce or transport drugs. Many (I guess probably even most) of the people in the business also committed many other crimes. Anywhere from bribery to multiple counts of murder. If you think those people are just going to go quiet I think you are wrong.

As for the rest of the post I think you made a mistake (too much wine for celebration? :D ) So I will wait until you fix it. Happy new year everyone.
By this point the cartel is an integral cultural trait, embedded directly into the Mexican ruling system. If drugs were to cease existing tomorrow, they would find a different racket to engage in.

It is too late. This is not the Sicilian mafia in southern Italy. It pervades every aspect of Mexican society. A better question is; 'how does one leverage this organized criminal resource to ones advantage?'
Drlee wrote:I am still waiting for someone to tell me why it is wise for the voters to accept a dramatically increase in drug deaths, more bankrupted families, more deadly drivers and more tax and regulation.

I think it makes more sense to compare cannabis with opium. Currently opiates are our primary pain killers and lead to numerous deaths and addictions. Cannabis is impossible to OD on and may cause less impairment to concentration and alertness than opiates.

I don't know of any medical benefits of cocaine use, though.
AFAIK wrote:I think it makes more sense to compare cannabis with opium. Currently opiates are our primary pain killers and lead to numerous deaths and addictions. Cannabis is impossible to OD on and may cause less impairment to concentration and alertness than opiates.

I don't know of any medical benefits of cocaine use, though.

It is currently used as an anesthetic, specially among dentists and ENT doctors. Very good for nose/throat surgeries.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The far left does not want another October 7. No […]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]