Venezuelan Politics (current - 2014) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.

Ford Cutting Production in Venezuela on Growing Dollar Shortage

Ford Motor Co. (F), the second-largest U.S. automaker, is reducing production in Venezuela as the South American country faces a shortage of hard currency.

The availability of U.S. dollars “is crimping our ability to pay suppliers,” Chief Operating Officer Mark Fields said yesterday in Detroit. “We’ve taken our production down.”

Output fell about 75 percent in the fourth quarter last year from the rate Ford was running in the first three quarters of the year, and the company’s assumption for this year is that output will remain near the fourth-quarter level, he said.

Car sales in Venezuela fell 64 percent in December from a year ago to 2,959 units, the Caracas-based Automotive Chamber of Commerce said in a report posted on its website yesterday. Shortages of foreign currency have emptied Venezuelan shops of everything from shaving blades to milk as importers struggle to get dollars and prices rise at the fastest pace in the world with annual inflation of 56 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-1 ... rtage.html
I think they have an idea. In 2006 I met with a senior Cuban official and he agreed Fidel had made a huge mistake because he nationalized us companies before he wrecked them. Taking over wrecks is a lot cheaper. What the Cubans who run Venezuela don't get s that as they destroy the economy they induce a huge flight of the educated middle class, this essentially lobotomizes industry and commerce. They trust the petrodollar flow, but they don't know the industry, and as it turns out PDVSA is also falling apart.

However they will march on destroying everything. That's their trade mark, they are cancer. Eventually they destroy themselves. But they do cause a lot of suffering.
I guess many Chavez and Maduro apologists would be very happy to see this. I read some posts here suggesting there was a western intervention in Venezuela. I have to say that if you take a walk down Venezuela you'll get the real reason of what's happening here. The lack of basic goods it's simply enough for us. Anyway, petrodollars can buy support very easily
Politics forum has lots of foreigners defending the Cuban invaders. Tell your friends about politics forum so they can set the record straight about the human rights abuses in Venezuela

The Devil's Excrement is an award winning blog written by an economist. The name of the blog refers to oil, which some economists refer to as being similar to crap when a country has large oil reserves but can't handle the consequences.

I like to quote from this blogger to highlight what goes on in Venezuela because he lived there until recently (i believe he fled a year after i left), he's Venezuelan, he's smart, and my experience living in the country and my friends who are still there confirm what he writes.

Here are his thoughts after the mass protests and ongoing government repression by the Maduro regime

Venezuelan Protest and Violence As Seen From Afar

So, here is my take:

Venezuelans are fed up. The shortages, crime and inflation are taking their toll. People are arrechos, which in English has a very straight translation: People are really pissed.

The students, the young frustrated people of Venezuela, were going to protest on February 12th. anyway, the day when Venezuelans celebrate La Batalla de La Victoria...

And they went to the Prosectors office, where they met with not only resistance from police, but with violent groups belonging to either the so called “collectivos” or to the “Sebin” intelligence police. There are videos of Police and Sebin (intelligence police) officers shooting real bullets against the protesters.

But even before violence erupted, the Government was already threatening the media, saying that they could be shut down for showing protests. Most of the media applied self-restraint and it was difficult to determine exactly what was going on.

By the time February 12th. came around, there were few media outlets covering the events, and one, Colombia’s NTN24, was not only blocked from the Internet after covering events live all day. But NTN24 was removed from the programming of all cable TV stations, simply disappearing from the scene, while protests were taking place. Maduro called this a “decision of State”

I feel bad for the Devil's author. He has put a lot if time writing about Venezuela in his blog. It's not as sad as say Baghdad Burning or Turning Tables. But it does show the country's dark descent into a world of pain. In spite of the extremely high crime rate Venezuelans are actually mild mannered. I would call them a gentle people, sometimes even soft. So it's hard to see the ruin and mayhem created by the Chavez and Cubanoid Maduro regime. It's the same crap all over again.
Social_Critic wrote:So it's hard to see the ruin and mayhem created by the Chavez and Cubanoid Maduro regime. It's the same crap all over again.

The Chavez's regime certainly has its dark sides but the situation was far worse before him. And even his anti-medias measures have to be put in balance with the fact that the medias were all in the hands of the former oligarchy and actively participated to the coup in 2002. Let's not forget that the country also experienced many pro-democratic advancements. Btw it's good to remember that he was democratically elected and re-elected (and although there were problems they favored both camps and the U.S. president Carter himself acknowledged that this victory was fair) despite two-thirds of the medias' audience belonging to a private sector mostly dominated by the former oligarchy and current political opposition, who usually despise democracy.

The Venezuelan situation is complex, made of subtle shades of gray. Far from the binary situation you're describing where the Venezuelan people would be oppressed by Chavez, who would have doomed this country.

Finally I must add that in France the U.S. medias have the reputation to be very anti-Chavez so I advise caution.

Social_Critic wrote:my experience living in the country and my friends who are still there confirm what he writes.

Given that you work in the oil industry, I guess you had more friends working in the oil industry and U.S. corporations than farmers, right?
Chávez is dead. Maduro barely won an election last year. So he started out with 50 % opposed to his presidency in a very polarized nation. Then he proceeded to make incredibly stupid moves. Your defense of the regime claiming its not as bad as what existed before is lame.

Here's a video to show you what's going on

Here's a photograph of a demonstration. The sign on the man's t shirt says "respect the Constitution". The large sign in the back says something about payments to retirees. With 50 to 60 % inflation and no government action to correct this problem, retirees are really hurting. What I sense is that different groups have different grievances. But from what I gather everybody is really pissed off at Maduro. Shooting demonstrators doesn't help.

Regarding your last comment.....That comment shows you are running on empty. Why not visit the Devil's Excrement website, read it, and criticize what he writes? You can't, can you?
Chavez should have destroyed the Venezuelan right-wing immediately after defeating the 2002 coup, leaving no reactionary alive to tell the tale. It's not too late for Maduro to pull it off, though.

And a thorough destruction of the Right would be a major injection of morale for the far-left worldwide, a shining beacon of what we're striving towards.
Social_Critic wrote:Chávez is dead. Maduro barely won an election last year. So he started out with 50 % opposed to his presidency in a very polarized nation.

But you criticized the Chavez-Maduro regimes. While I am largely ignorant about the Maduro regime, I know enough about the Chavez regime to know that it had to be defended. Apparently you acknowledge what I said because now you only criticizes the Maduro regime. Fine for me.

Regarding your last comment.....That comment shows you are running on empty.

You used your Veneuzlian acquaintances as an argument, I exposed how biased they were. And remembered that you and they could very well have interests in the demise of the current regime.

Why not visit the Devil's Excrement website, read it, and criticize what he writes? You can't, can you?

Does anyone who knows more about a topic than me tells the truth? Of course not. Should I religiously believe what such a person says? Of course not.

And if I wanted to get informations about Venezuela, I would certainly not take them from an American blog with interests in the oil industry!
Chavez is dead. Maduro is in trouble. The economy is a mess. There are very serious human rights violations by the government. It's up to you to be honest and face the truth. Hiding from reality won't help you.
a new law that limits companies' profit margins to 30 percent

Another "smart" move. So now if you have a successful business you better burn some of the money on some costs, any costs, even if they are completely useless, since bigger costs allow you to earn more profit.

The only purpose of this policy seems to be to sacrifice some more of the economy in search of a scapegoat.
Thanks for posting this. It's interesting we haven't seen those who think what has been happening in Venezuela the last 10 or so years to be a good thing come out and say anything about what has been happening recently...... hhhhhmmmmmmmm
Rancid wrote:Thanks for posting this. It's interesting we haven't seen those who think what has been happening in Venezuela the last 10 or so years to be a good thing come out and say anything about what has been happening recently...... hhhhhmmmmmmmm

As you know I post articles and write comments. I saw this coming because I know some of the people involved. For example I am acquainted with Rafael Ramirez, and since 2005 or so I realized Ramirez didn't understand how to do his job properly. Because Chavez felt Venezuela was rich in oil, and Ramirez assured him PDVSA could produce huge volumes Chavez behaved as if he were a child in a candy store, and allowed an incredible amount of theft and corruption to grow.

In a sense, if we look at it from this perspective, Ramirez killed Chavez' dream.

This was the protest at Chacaito yesterday. The multitude extended for several km. it was peaceful. By nightfall they started to set fires in the street. It's a common protest technique in Venezuela, called the "guarimba". From what I gather there were guarimbas all over the country, and in some places people were getting shot (but this situation won't be televised, there's strict censorship and all they have is some Internet access at low speed).

I do notice what I add to the forum doesn't get much answer, though. I guess the Chavista backers tend to back off. If you have any questions I can try to answer them, or I can ask friends in Venezuela.
The first video reminded me of Gene Sharp, he wrote:

"Mass noncooperation and defiance can so change social and political situations, especially power relationships, that the dictators' ability to control the economic, social, and political processes of government and the society is in fact taken away. The opponents' military forces may become so unreliable that they no longer simply obey orders to repress resisters. Although the opponents' leaders remain in their positions, and adhere to their original goals, their ability to act effectively has been taken away from them. That is called nonviolent coercion.

In some extreme situations, the conditions producing nonviolent coercion are carried still further. The opponents' leadership in fact loses all ability to act and their own structure of power collapses. The resisters' self-direction, noncooperation, and defiance become so complete that the opponents now lack even a semblance of control over them. The opponents' bureaucracy refuses to obey its own leadership. The opponents' troops and police mutiny. The opponents' usual supporters or population repudiate their former leadership, denying that they have any right to rule at all. Hence, their former assistance and obedience falls away. The fourth mechanism of change, disintegration of the opponents' system, is so complete that they do not even have sufficient power to surrender. The regime simply falls to pieces."

And the last video is just absurd, did Maduro's security forces really kill a human being as if they were killing a fly? Did he survive? Do you know anything about that man?

BTW, I took this pic below two days ago in Bal Harbour, Miami. I saw two cars more with these same words written on their rear windows. It was great to see that the Venezuelans in exile still care and want their country back! Maduro will end up like Mussolini or Ceauşescu. Matter of time now.

It seems to be getting out of hand . Check this video

The resistance seems to be much more intense in the Andes, where the bulk of the population is backing protests. I have unconfirmed reports the town of San Cristobal forced National Guard to leave. They used huge logs, rocks, and concrete pipes to block roads.

One of these videos above shows people chanting as national guards retreat. But I hear these units refused to fire on the crowd and the town is surrounded by paratroopers.

Also some comments about mercenaries being flown in from abroad. Possibly from Nicaragua.

Another video shows some kids using rockets to fire at a national guard group.

It sure looks bad.
By Social_Critic
Venezuela protests: Barricades leave 'empty streets'

Venezuela protests: Barricades leave 'empty streets'26 February 2014 Last updated at 14:25 GMT

Venezuela has been paralysed by weeks of protests with more than a dozen people killed in clashes with security forces.

The opposition leader in Venezuela says the government is on its deathbed and needs to be replaced for the country to recover.

Vladimir Hernandez reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26355361

Here´s a video made by SOS Venezuela in which the protest movement explains the reasons for its actions

In this video we see a nigh scene at Los Ruices, the neighborhood where the National GUard and a motorcycist were shot yesterday after the riots caused by Maduro´s speech. The BBC article and this video are from February 26th. The events which culminated with Maduro´s call for open repression by Brown shirts yesterday have been building over time. The night of February 26th wasn´t particularly special. Neither is Los Ruices, other than I happen to have the videos taken in the área and that´s where the National Guard was shot.

In minute 1:00 we can hear a voice shouting "CUBANOS DE MIERDA". A loose translation would be Shitty Cubans..

Some may wonder why this event is particularly noteworthy. I had an ítem I posted moved to Minor Interest Stories. However, the key ítem to note is that Brown shirts descended on all neighborhoods all over Venezuela and started shooting right after Maduro´s speech. Since then things have been quite confused. I do know I´m getting messages from people asking for help to get their children out.

Street barricades have been going up all the time. Sometimes they burn bonfires and tires. The pot banging and noise making is a common technique used to protest against the government in Venezuela. They call it a cacerolazo.

The National Guard isn´t endearing itself to the population with behavior like this

National Guard taunting the people from an armored car with a loudspeaker

Interesting view of what appears to be teenagers throwing stones at national guard and Brown shirts. Notice they are all "upper class" and "wear designer outfits".

Evidently this isn´t Rwanda. However, it started in San Cristóbal in early February. I think Maduro´s call yesterday for more action by Brown shirts is caused by the refusal of two senior national guard officers to continue repressive actions in the city of Valencia. Also, I suspect that after a month of continuous actions the National Guard has to be getting tired.
You guys sure have trouble winning elections. How many opportunities to lose have the anti-Chavistas taken in the last couple years? I believe it's three or four times in a row, yes? Also I don't get the impression that violent crime or economic difficulties are recent problems in Venezuela.
You guys sure have trouble winning elections.

Indeed, it's kind of hard to win fraudulent elections. Are you aware that Putin had 107% of the votes in Chechnya?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/world/europe/fraudulent-votes-for-putin-abound-in-chechnya.html

Ombrageux wrote:Also I don't get the impression that violent crime or economic difficulties are recent problems in Venezuela.

I don't understand why some of you do this. Why would someone write shit like: "I don't get the impression that violent crime or economic difficulties are recent problems in Venezuela"?

Do you know what was the murder rate in Venezuela in 1999? Do you know what was the murder rate in 2013? If yes, can you compare both? If no, why are you writing about something that you don't know? Do you know what was the food shortage rate in 1999 and in 2013? Yes, economic difficulties are not something new in Venezuela, but they used to have food available, now the shelves are empty.

Why do you support Maduro? It's crazy that ideological affinities can reach a point where it resembles unconditional love. I guess this is the root of fanatism.
Last edited by Soulflytribe on 07 Mar 2014 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know, it just seems like you guys always give a one-sided POV reflecting your class prejudices and interests.

I'm sure you can criticize the regime but I'd wish there were some account for the fact you keep losing elections and for Venezuela's actual economic performance (although I'm sure there are major problems).

Yours is not history, just tinfoil-hat nonsense[…]

That was weird

I was watching the evening news, and they were cov[…]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2xXMrwU[…]

I define my terms very clearly and very simply. S[…]