Mexico missing students:10 more held. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Mexico missing students: 10 more held

Relatives of the students have been holding vigils and protests across Mexico asking the authorities for answers on what happened to them

Mexican authorities investigating the disappearance of 43 student teachers in Guerrero state have arrested a further 10 municipal police officers.

Around 90 people in total, including 58 police officer, have been detained so far.

The students disappeared in September after clashes with police in the city of Iguala.

National prosecutors say police handed them to criminal gangs who murdered them and burnt their bodies.

Parents of the students dispute this, arguing the authorities are hiding what happened to them.

The remains of only one student, Alexander Mora, have been identified so far.

They were found near a rubbish dump where criminal gang members say the students were taken to be shot and their bodies burnt.

Members of the gang said they killed the 43 and burned their bodies after they were told the students belonged to a rival gang.

The relatives of the other 42 missing students say they will not give up hope of finding them alive until forensic evidence proves they are dead.

The slow pace of the initial investigation into their disappearance and the collusion it has highlighted between local authorities and drug gangs has led to mass protests across Mexico.

BBC © 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-30670391
Mexico is in complete disarray. It is virtually lawless. Though I live near the border I would not even think of traveling there these days.

I see no bright future for them but rather a further descent into lawlessness. It is a tragedy but one, I fear, that has no practical solution short of the immergence of a very strong autocrat.
I see no bright future for them but rather a further descent into lawlessness. It is a tragedy but one, I fear, that has no practical solution short of the immergence of a very strong autocrat.

They've already had one. His name was 'Porfirio Diaz', I believe. And I seem to recall that it didn't end well....

As I've always said, Mexico doesn't have any problems which couldn't be solved by a proletarian revolution. I'm serious.
As I've always said, Mexico doesn't have any problems which couldn't be solved by a proletarian revolution. I'm serious.

I don't disagree. Judging from the history of proletarian revolutions however, and the subsequent immergence of autocratic governments, I fear you are articulating a distinction without a difference.
It's America's rapacious desire for cheap drugs that has made a bad gang situation worse. America should get it's house in order before recommending tyrants for the rest,
Potemkin wrote:They've already had one. His name was 'Porfirio Diaz', I believe. And I seem to recall that it didn't end well....

Why don't you think a proletarian revolution would produce an autocratic ruler? I can't think of any proletarian revolutions that didn't end with a strongman dictator? You could be saying that a proletarian revolution would produce a decent sort of autocratic ruler though but that's questionable as well.

I think an autocratic ruler is needed to sort this mess out. The legalisation of drugs would play a massive part in the solution, but the problem is the United States would have to legalise cocaine as well and this is unlikely- you'd have a system where the government in Mexico is selling cocaine illegally in the United States. America probably wouldn't be willing to turn a blind eye while the Mexican government sells cocaine to gangs. I'd be interested to see how that would turn out though.

The Mexican government therefore would have to become very intrusive to smash the drug cartels. Something I've mentioned on here before is the use of prisoners for profit. I think they generally cost a lot of money to house, but if you could get them to work many houses a day on making products to sell, it would become profitable to lock people up. You then build more prisons which are better designed and keeping sending people to jail until the problem is removed. If the prisoners refuse to do anything they can be put in solitary confinement, some of them will have to be in solitary confinement anyway.
It's America's rapacious desire for cheap drugs that has made a bad gang situation worse. America should get it's house in order before recommending tyrants for the rest,

Won't fly my friend. We attempt to stop it at great expense. Mexico, often with the government looking the other way, profits from this. All countries have drug addicts.

Of course, comrade Tim, if you would join with me and call for a US invasion of Mexico, removing the government, killing the cartel leaders and destroying the crops completely then I think we can reach agreement. We could put a nice friendly "democratically elected" despot in charge and fix the problem. Sound good to you? We could do it very easily and be welcomed as liberators by a great many people.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yale course on Ukrainian history: https://www.you[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]