Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...
Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods
Another miserable failure for socialism.
Conscript wrote:This is a failure of the left wing of capital, not socialism.
Eauz wrote:What does that mean? Left wing capital?
The third conclusion is that history works. We don't think or wish democracy into existence, you don't just propagate it as a good idea, and it is similarly idealistic to believe democracy just suddenly ended and began again with administrations elected into the state. The reality is Venezuela was and still is a capitalist republic that engenders ruling interests (economic in nature) it has to take care of, it manages the affairs of national capital, and if it mismanages them with 'socialism' (compounded by falling oil prices and foreign support for opposition) the system will correct itself.
And it did. History works. The left wing of capital has been replaced with its more right wing, liberal cousin out of systemic need, lest Maduro be lynched by impoverished masses blaming the incumbent, anyway.
Lexington wrote:There will be no left in Venezuela for a generation after this catastrophe. Combine this with what's going on in Argentina and Brazil and there's an earthquake going on in South America against the leftist governments that came to power in those countries.
How is it a failure of socialism? The Venezuelan government structured policies around trade and capitalist theory. If you want to blame anything, it's a failure of the capitalist theory to properly translate into developing the economy. What do you expect when vendors will hoard goods and services in order to create a faux-shortage.
This is a failure of the left wing of capital, not socialism.
The good thing is that Maduro seems to be respecting the results of the election. He'd given indications that he might not.
Interesting post Lexington, I liked the factoids.
layman wrote:Socialists say this every time a socialist country fails
By all means, provide some examples of how this was a failure of socialism.
Heinie wrote:Maduro's Colombia was socialist in the sense that China is Communist.
layman wrote:Kurt and you lot defended them on POFO ad nauseum - that is my proof they were socialists
Among the things that baffle me:
* They elected a socialist government ages ago, but the kind of socialism the Chavistas practiced was basically looting PDVSA.
* In spite of even conservatives telling them they should declare state bankruptcy and stop paying, instead Maduro's continuing to pay on his government's bonds held by capitalist financiers.
* The country has some of the world's most ridiculously complicated exchange rates and price controls in one of the most hamfisted economic disasters on the face of the planet. Perhaps only Zimbabwe has been more horrifyingly mismanaged in recent memory.
* Maduro's Venezuela is dead last on rule of law indexes.
* The country has some of the highest murder rates in the world after the economic catastrophe the Chavistas have inflicted on the country and their total incompetence at managing a country.
* Venezuela has the world's largest oil reserves, and in spite of the record high oil prices in the 2000s, PDVSA oil production actually declined under Chavez/Maduro due to horrifying incompetence and plundering the industry.
Lexington wrote:Chavez/Maduro had complete control of the country for years.
KurtFf8 wrote:Don't get me wrong, the PSUV obviously made quite a few mistakes,
Socialists say this every time a socialist country fails
Lexington wrote:The country has the highest murder rates in the Americas after like Honduras and Haiti. This is not the result of some American plot to destroy them- this is because the Chavistas are utterly incompetent. Nothing the United States could do could do that.
China is the biggest patent thief of the World. Am[…]
A Taliban leader said 1kg of opium kills more enem[…]
So you don't think Epstein was guilty? I don't k[…]
Which one(s)? Still no evidence to support yo[…]