20 Quick Facts about Latin America you might not have previously known - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
I've never had a problem with Mexico, but it is funny to piss Rancid off by calling him a sea Mexican.

Mexico has a very interesting history and is very beautiful. I don't think its fair to shit on Mexico's social problems as an American when its our demand and criminalization of drugs that empower the cartels and their bloodthirsty tactics. As other people have mentioned the US is not without its own blemishes. I would love to travel more through Latin America when I have the time and disposable income!
Red_Army wrote:I've never had a problem with Mexico, but it is funny to piss Rancid off by calling him a sea Mexican.

Mexico has a very interesting history and is very beautiful. I don't think its fair to shit on Mexico's social problems as an American when its our demand and criminalization of drugs that empower the cartels and their bloodthirsty tactics. As other people have mentioned the US is not without its own blemishes. I would love to travel more through Latin America when I have the time and disposable income!

Mexico has some very interesting places to visit. The further south you go the more corrupt it becomes. Mexico is pretty tame compared to Central America.
Red_Army wrote:Corruption isn't the scariest demon in the world. I lived in Russia for 2 years and its pretty well known for corruption.
I live in Thailand, and whereas there is corruption, it doesn't seem to be as bad as people imply. A lot of the corruption isn't just at the top, like in Western nations.

Crossing borders anywhere is a pain in the ass.

I hope to get to Latin America again, someday. Cuba sounds great, and I loved Mexico.
Godstud wrote:I live in Thailand, and whereas there is corruption, it doesn't seem to be as bad as people imply. A lot of the corruption isn't just at the top, like in Western nations.

Crossing borders anywhere is a pain in the ass.

I hope to get to Latin America again, someday. Cuba sounds great, and I loved Mexico.

Cuba is very interesting Godstud. I also can give you an interesting history of Cuba. Cubacanan is the original name of Cuba. The Dominican Republic and Cuba and Puerto Rico are the three Spanish speaking islands of the Greater Antilles. Cuba by far is the largest of all islands in the Caribbean. Mexico and Cuba have a very long and deep history with each other. In fact, fun fact, Lazaro Cardenas the ex president of Mexico was Fidel Castro's 'godfather'. Cardenas wound up using his political pull to spring Fidel Castro, Che, and company out of jail in Mexico City. Castro's failed overthrow of Batista's administration and army on board the Granma would never have happened without not being able to be taken out of jail by Cardenas. Cardenas was deeply resented and hated by the USA gov't because he nationalized all Mexican petrol production and Shell, Chevron, Texaco, etc all lost their money. The American corporations wanted to profit off of Mexican oil reserves without paying the Mexican government. Cardenas took the profits and built schools, clinics, improved roads and was a highly popular Mexican president. You see his name plastered everywhere in Mexico because he actually invested the money from oil in actual real services for the people of Mexico. He was not from the right. That doesn't surprise me. :lol:

Che and Fidel Castro met each other for the first time in Mexico City. Mexico has been the setting for many of a plot for all of Latin American revolutions and schemes. It is a very 'busy' place for conspiracies.
My brother just came back from a week in Mexico City and I want to visit Mexico more than ever. He particularly liked the Mariachi Bands, and he had an amazing time.

The last time I was in Mexico was in an all expenses paid place, and I didn't see much, but next time I'll be far more adventuresome.
Godstud wrote:My brother just came back from a week in Mexico City and I want to visit Mexico more than ever. He particularly liked the Mariachi Bands, and he had an amazing time.

The last time I was in Mexico was in an all expenses paid place, and I didn't see much, but next time I'll be far more adventuresome.

I am a bit of a adventurer in Mexico. I do a lot of spontaneous trips that are completely unplanned Godstud. One time our plan was to just take a train ride from Chihuahua City, Chihuahua to Los Mochis, Sinaloa. Once in Los Mochis I wanted to go to the beach there. All the locals told me, "All the beaches in Los Mochis are not very nice. Not pretty. There is warm water, but you should go further south to Mazatlan for a nice beach." We had not planned on that. We had no car. But we took a bus to Mazatlan. Five hours later we arrived in mid afternoon in Mazatlan. I had no idea what to expect. I asked the Taxi driver to take me to a cheap $15 dollar a night hotel in the middle of town. He argued with me a lot in the taxi, "Senora, don't do this. A decent woman like you should not go there. Go to Hotel Las Gaviotas instead. They are having a discount on summer tourism room rates. You get more than half off if you say I sent you. It is much nicer hotel and only about $25 dollars a night with a discount. It is worth it. You are close the beach. Only one block. And the service is nice. They have a pool and decent families stay there. You will thank me!" And he was right. It was lovely with a great sea breeze. Reasonable little hotel. One block from a beautiful beach with a very fancy and expensive resort. Las Gaviotas Hotel was only behind the very expensive resort. So we stayed in Las Gaviotas and I wound up going to off islands, visiting with local farmers and I explored Mazatlan that had a bull ring, a shopping center, a beautiful performing arts theater that was gorgeous, live classical music and many things. I also saw whales, dolphins and sea lions on a ferry boat that took us for all day excursions.

I wound up finding out the life stories of many of the local people there. It helps to speak Spanish like a native. You get a different experience. The experience of having people tell you all their problems and all their good luck as well. I met a fine family, they invited me to their home. Etc. etc. Everyone in Mexico is curious about how someone like me winds up in their part of the world. They have questions galore. How is Puerto Rico? I never been there they say to me. I see it on TV---it is so fun. I can't afford to go. The USA says you got to have money in the bank to visit Puerto Rico because it is part of the USA...my Uncle Jose is in the Navy in Mexico and he told me when they dock in Old San Juan it is the best time in the world, etc etc. No one speaks English there but it is the USA. That is weird? Why is that? Questions galore.

Most of the travel and living I have done in Mexico over the years was never planned. I just talk to someone and say, "What the hell? Let us try that."

This video is lovely. That Copper Canyon or "Barrancas del Cobre" in Chihuahua through Sinaloa is beautiful beyond compare. I think this video explains why. You should try it at least once in your life. It is worth it!

Mazatlan is also the home of a great beautiful arts and theater building called Angela Peralta:

It is an interesting little arts community they have in Mazatlan. Once a simple shrimping and fishing village in the Pacific side of Sinaloa state--it is an interesting mix now of many things. For you beer lovers it is the home of Cerveceria Pacifico. Here is the video of the beer brewery:

Confessions extracted under torture...seems legit.[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]