20 Quick Facts about Latin America you might not have previously known - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
20 Facts about Latin America you might not have known.

Also most Latin Americans are living in cities. 80% in fact.

Check out this list:

http://www.prosoftnearshore.com/20-fact ... n-america/

Is there anything interesting you want to discuss from that list? If so....post it!
Suntzu wrote:All pristine compared to Mexican cities. If you travel Mexico, all you will see is trash.

That is a fallacy. Stop trolling.

Here look at how ugly Mexican cities are:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... _17_44_xtn

In fact that city is so ugly that people from NYC and Paris, London and many 'European' cities love it and retire there. Why not Cleveland, Ohio or Flint, Michigan? Because compared to those USA cities? No...they don't want to live in those toxic dump sites. In the USA.

Mexico has more UNESCO world heritage cities than the USA does? I wonder why? because Mexican cities are shit holes? I don't think so Suntzu troll.

Here is another 'ugly' Mexican city. That I happened to live in for a while. Full of Europeans tourists that all they said to me was, "Prettiest thing I have ever seen. Clean streets, beautiful buildings, great traditions, and it is a great place to live." Oh uh, Suntzu continues with shit hole. Go ahead let me post the ugliness.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

Ugliness here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPho ... nsula.html
Last edited by Tainari88 on 23 Nov 2017 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Guanajuato is lovely. Been there. Callejon del Beso. El Festival Cervantino. Oaxaca is very pretty. A lot of 'artesania'. Guanajuato is famous for a museum of 'mummies'. El museo de las Momias.

It looks like an old medieval city from Italy or something. Let me see if I can find a great photo of Guanajuato for you Pants.

Here you go Pants:

Oh those Americans really think that city is a horror don't they? Lol. I don't think they do.
I have been to all the cities in Mexico mentioned thus far. True, they are beautiful and the central parts of the city are relatively clean. You need to get away from the tourist areas to see what Mexico is really like. Nothing like a headless body layin' in the street to give you an appetite.

And most of the USA consists of gap-toothed rednecks murdering each other in swamps. What's your point? :eh:
Suntzu wrote:I have been to all the cities in Mexico mentioned thus far. True, they are beautiful and the central parts of the city are relatively clean. You need to get away from the tourist areas to see what Mexico is really like. Nothing like a headless body layin' in the street to give you an appetite.

I could care less about your opinion now. You are less than objective. I doubt you ever visited any of those cities. And if you did in that disparaging manner? I doubt you got along with any Mexican at all.

Anyway I wanted to post about a little town I mentioned to @skinster about. Bacalar. It is known for its fantastic lake. Let me see if I can post it? They are making a development there on the Mayan Riviera that is an amusement park for families based on Mayan ancient historical sites. It is in development. It is called "Amikoo".

This video gives you a good review of that area. Gorgeous colors. If you know Playa del Carmen it is near that city. The land is cheaper to buy and it is still considered a great tourism area.

There is also plans to make a permanent home for Cirque de Soleil in Mexico. The CDS people love Mexico's weather, infrastructure and so on and they find it very lucrative. So they are investing with a Mexican developer.

Why do they do this? The land is perfect for it. And Mexico is a nation with a lot of children. There is a growing middle class and they love national tourism. Theme parks are a favorite tourist attraction for Latin American families. In Spanish. Disneyland, Disney Parks, inc. have always had HUGE margins of profit with Latin American markets. Enormous actually. Disney sells more of its merchandise and character licensing in Mexico, Central America, etc than almost any other place in the world. They make and sell almost all their films and intellectual property in Spanish there. The Mexican investors got smart and decided? Got to cash in on that market. But for us. So they came up with all these ambitious plans between 2018-2020. If they make it a huge success? They will boost the economies in those states of Mexico greatly. Mexico is actually growing economically.

It has some challenges with the justice system. But there is going to be a very hard pressure to keep places corruption free to keep the economy going. When I was in Mazatlan all the businesspeople told me that tourism is vital and basically they crack down on many who create problems.

Another important thing in the future to remember is that Mexican internet reception has gotten very very good in the last few years. So many people who live off of internet businesses and don't have to live in any one place in particular are choosing Mexico for many reasons. Affordability, beauty, relaxed lifestyle, food and recreational opportunities. I find Mexicans to be respectful people with good manners.

Criminals suck in every nation. The USA is not free of crime. Especially with mass shootings in Vegas and crazy ass American white men with arsenals in their backyards waiting to kill random people because they are alienated, selfish freaks that never got treated for depression. But no one says, "Shit hole full of psychos, can't trust going out to watch a concert, they might bust a cap in your ass." But you got these others here thinking that all of Mexico is about beheaded people. Who consumes the stupid drugs from Mexico? Americans. Stop being drug addicts who love getting high and you can cut down on crime. If there are no American kids and people who rob, steal and drain their bank accounts buying illegal heroine, cocaine, and meth, and etc. there are no profits to be had.

Meanwhile back in Mexico, they are taking all kinds of investments and going forward. Whether there are dullards thinking Mexico is worthless and has nothing to offer the world. Whatever..... :roll:
"
U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, including homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery in various Mexican states. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning for Mexico issued December 8, 2016.

For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, see our state-by-state assessments below. U.S. government personnel and their families are prohibited from personal travel to all areas to which the Department recommends “defer non-essential travel” in this Travel Warning. As a result of security precautions that U.S. government personnel must take while traveling to parts of Mexico, our response time to emergencies involving U.S. citizens may be hampered or delayed.

Gun battles between rival criminal organizations or with Mexican authorities have taken place on streets and in public places during broad daylight. The Mexican government dedicates substantial resources to protect visitors to major tourist destinations and has engaged in an extensive effort to counter criminal organizations that engage in narcotics trafficking and other unlawful activities throughout Mexico. There is no evidence that criminal organizations have targeted U.S. citizens based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the level of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes.

U.S. government personnel are prohibited from patronizing adult clubs and gambling establishments in the states of Coahuila, Durango, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, San Luis Potosi, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Jalisco, Colima, and Nayarit.

Kidnappings in Mexico take the following forms:
Traditional: victim is physically abducted and held captive until a ransom is paid for release.
Express: victim is abducted for a short time and commonly forced to withdraw money, usually from an ATM, then released.
Virtual: an extortion-by-deception scheme where a victim is contacted by phone and coerced by threats of violence to provide phone numbers of family and friends, and then isolated until the ransom is paid. Recently, hotel guests have been targets of such "virtual" kidnapping schemes.

U.S. citizens have been murdered in carjackings and highway robberies, most frequently at night and on isolated roads. Carjackers use a variety of techniques, including roadblocks, bumping/moving vehicles to force them to stop, and running vehicles off the road at high speeds. There are indications that criminals target newer and larger vehicles, but drivers of old sedans and buses coming from the United States are also targeted. U.S. government personnel are not permitted to drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from intercity travel after dark in many areas of Mexico. U.S. citizens should use toll roads (cuotas) whenever possible. In remote areas, cell phone coverage is limited or non-existent.

The Mexican government has deployed federal police and military personnel throughout the country as part of its efforts to combat organized criminal groups. U.S. citizens traveling on Mexican roads and highways by car or bus may encounter government checkpoints, staffed by military or law enforcement personnel. In some places, criminal organizations have erected their own unauthorized checkpoints, at times wearing police and military uniforms, and have killed or abducted motorists who have failed to stop at them. You should cooperate at all checkpoints."
@Suntzu

As a wise man once said, "If you run into a shithole in the morning, you ran into a shithole. If you ran into shitholes all day, you're the shithole".

Hey, Suntzu, instead of emulating government/military paperwork why don't you give us an actual citation. Yes I know that this may seem like a shocker but on the internet, no one fully trusts you and your opinions thereby making all of your posts and the effort you put into them a waste of time. You will not change any opinions if you don't offer citation.

If you don't know what citation is, citation a link to where you found all this stuff out. As you can obviously see this makes citation very important on internet forums and I think you know why because you have given citation before, you just don't give a citation when you don't really have the source you got this information from making you look like an idiot.
That was from the Department of State official website. A person with a three digit I.Q. would do a search on a 20 word string and find out what the source was, just sayin'.

I live about 20 miles from the border. I was in Mexico on Tuesday. I have a pretty good handle on what is happening in Mexico. There are shootouts just about daily. You, on the other hand . . . :lol:
@Suntzu

That isn't an excuse to not provide citation. The bearer of evidence is you, not me or anyone else in this thread. You are responsible for backing up your own claims and quotes. This is a political forum, you don't go around quoting unknown sections of articles expecting others to find the citation themselves that's bad debating and displays a large amount of arrogance and laziness on your part. I think it's time you being to become aware of your own insignificance just like every other adult on this forum.

I highly doubt you live near the border of Mexico ("shootouts happen daily" 20 miles from the border of Mexico :lol:). I think you would rather kill yourself than go as far as to stand 100 miles from Mexico. You probably live in an urban area around either the South or North East of the US. My guess is that you live in or have lived in Florida at some point in your life.

Yes, I live in Iran is that a problem? You seem to enjoy acting as if you understand everything that is going on in my area, why can't I partake in the fun of pretending to know everything about Mexico?
Oxymandias wrote:@Suntzu

That isn't an excuse to not provide citation. The bearer of evidence is you, not me or anyone else in this thread. You are responsible for backing up your own claims and quotes. This is a political forum, you don't go around quoting unknown sections of articles expecting others to find the citation themselves that's bad debating and displays a large amount of arrogance and laziness on your part. I think it's time you being to become aware of your own insignificance just like every other adult on this forum.

I highly doubt you live near the border of Mexico ("shootouts happen daily" 20 miles from the border of Mexico :lol:). I think you would rather kill yourself than go as far as to stand 100 miles from Mexico. You probably live in an urban area around either the South or North East of the US. My guess is that you live in or have lived in Florida at some point in your life.

Yes, I live in Iran is that a problem? You seem to enjoy acting as if you understand everything that is going on in my area, why can't I partake in the fun of pretending to know everything about Mexico?

I live in Harlingen. Google Earth is your friend. I was in Nuevo Progresso on Tuesday, Chiapas and Guatemala about this time last year.
@Suntzu

Hmm, your demeanor led me to believe that you were a Floridan. Unfortunately I do not possess the ability to track your location to seek exactly where you are. In other words, I have no idea where you live so Google Earth is entirely useless.

If you were in Nuevo Progresso I assume you must have traveled to Tamaulipas at some point. In which case Tamaulipas fits your description of a "violent and savage Mexico" as it has one of the highest crime rates in Mexico. Unfortunately for you, Tamaulipas is not representative of the rest of Mexico. It's like me taking Detroit and holding it as an example of American savagery.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]