Ejercito Zapatista de Liberación Nacional - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Steven_K
EZLN: Indigeneous rights movement based in Chiapas, in Southern Mexico. There main battle was over the selling of their land as a result of the NAFTA agreement. There was some fighting in the early 90s when the agreement was signed, but since then it has been relativly quite. Lead publicaly but Subcomandante Marcos. Obviously there's more to it, but thats the Coles Notes version.

As for what I think, I find the movement's goals and actions generally inspiring, and have to say I support their struggle against the Mexican government for a bettter standard of life.
By Fernando
To me the EZLN is just another team of 'salvapatrias' trying to 'free' through violence.

Of course, they are far better than other LatAm groups since they have killed comparatively few people since they appeared in or around Christmas in 1990 or so. As far as I know they have not performed significant actions during the last years. They achieved an agreement with the government and did a demonstration in Mexico DF.

His speaker, the 'subcomandante' Marcos (who is the 'comandante'?) is a kind of mediatic idol.

It is quite strange to me that they are inspired by Zapata (just the same as the party the are fighting against).

As far as I know Chiapas is quite in the same situation it was before the EZLN. It is said they have been supported by Castro.
By Wilhelm
I'll display my ignorance on the matter.

Know: A bunch of Mexicans who in some way support the ideals of Emiliano Zapata, go around with rifles and socks on their faces, and whose commander calls himself "Marcos". They were founded in 1994 and they are against NAFTA.

Think: Nothing. I am not sufficiently informed to have an opinion on the EZLN.
By sharpe
I came across these guys in San Cristabel in Mexico.

Supposedly a native Indian group protesting about NAFTA. They timed their capture of San Cristabel to move in line with the activation of the treaty.

Subcommandant Marcos is the leader. He is a left leaning intellectual from Mexico City and his writing and actions are extremely inspirational. He wanted the movement to be lead by Indians, hence there is a Commandant somewhere that is supposedly in charge, but everyone knows Marcos calls the shots.

They seem well organised in San Cristabel, and on a host of topics, and I was there for a big party they were holding in the town square.

Speaking to a local book seller, she told me they were getting less popular after they had attacked some members that had tried to leave.

My opinion is in line with Marco's on the subject. In his university thesis he condemned Mexico City intellectuals that disagree with things but never do anything about them.

No, it's history. Remember, I was an activist, I[…]

It's not just Mapuche, there are other indigenous[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]

Then prove it.