Peru once again in the hands of the corrupt - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
This guy again, come on give me a break.

Last time he was president he bankrupted the country and had to live in exile for almost 20 years because of everything he did to Peru and now they elect him again!!!

Exit polls favour Peru's Garcia

Alan Garcia promised to have more women in government
Peruvians appear to have re-elected a former president, Alan Garcia, in the country's run-off election over nationalist candidate Ollanta Humala.
Exit polls, issued after voting stations closed at 1600 (2100 GMT), show Mr Garcia in the lead with nearly 53% of the vote to 47% for his rival.

In the first round, Mr Humala received 30.7% to Mr Garcia's 24% and a fiercely contested campaign ensued.

The first official election results are expected shortly.

I believe that Peru has the right to choose its own path and its own model

Alan Garcia

Election Q&A
Tough choice for voters

"We can consider Garcia the virtual president-elect," said Alfredo Torres, director of the Apoyo polling firm.

He quoted a sampling of votes nationwide based on an error margin of about 1%.

For weeks, the two men vying to be president had traded insults and allegations, writes the BBC's Hannah Hennessy in Lima.

Mr Garcia tried to portray Mr Humala as a dangerous threat to democracy and peace.

He has frequently referred to the former army officer's involvement in an armed uprising, and has criticised his lack of political experience and his close ties to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"I believe that Peru has the right to choose its own path and its own model," he said before voting, adding that he wanted to block "the expansion of a country that, because it has more wealth, wants to export its model".

Chavez factor

Mr Garcia may have gained some ground after international observers said Mr Chavez had been meddling in Peru's elections.

Ollanta Humala went jogging before casting his vote

But Mr Chavez's support for Mr Humala has been a major part of the nationalist candidate's campaign.

For his part, Mr Humala kept reminding Peruvians of the mistakes of Mr Garcia's presidency, which was marked by rebel attacks and rampant inflation.

"We have faith we can develop a nation without discrimination, a society where our young people have a future," he said after casting his vote.

The nationalist leader had promised to break with the past, pledging to give the state more control over Peru's vast natural resources - a policy which has won him support among the poor.

And he oversaw an effective advertising campaign, even if many analysts regarded his promises as rather naive and too nationalistic.

In their desperation to gain an advantage, Peru's two candidates left a climate of distrust and confusion in a country where voting is compulsory. Many Peruvians said they would not vote for either man and would destroy their ballot papers.

Even more said neither candidate appealed and they would have to decide which of the pair was the lesser of two evils.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5045634.stm

According to the website of one of the bill sponso[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I'm not ignoring the timeline. I'm showing you a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMUYnS4Wk[…]

That's a bad model, go the bottom of the class. ;[…]