Oaxaca - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Mikolaj
Could someone give me a brief breakdown of this issue? I've seen it come up, but I haven't had any time to really immerse myself in what exactly happened.
By C-Kokos
Best place to start is here. I haven't got much info on it either.
By clanko
Indymedia UK are giving it quite good coverage. The near-silence over this entire situation from the mainstream outlets is frightening. The BBC gave significant coverage to the lawmakers actions in Parliament in early September, but since then and with specific regards to the situation in Oaxaca...it's been quiet.
By Steven_K
I support the revolution in Mexico even if it fails.

I support it unless it fails, in which case I never supported it.
By lepac
Oaxaca's conflict started by a syndicalist conflict.
The teachers of the Sección [Section] 22 of the SNTE (Sindicato Nacional de los Trabajadores de la Educación)[National Syndicate of the Workers of Education] demanded more resources for education.
They were being heard (sorta) but then a dissident group named APPO (Asociación Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca)[Popular Association of the Peoples of Oaxaca) entered, their leaders allied and they started causing physical havoc.
Oaxaca's government, lead by Ulises Ruiz, had to repress that sprout of violence, and conflict ensued.
The APPO wants the destitution of Ulises Ruiz (which cannot be done by constitutional means) but (and this is noteworthy) they have already forsaken all the demands of the Sección 22.

That's the conflict, in a nutshell. There's naturally a lot more (like the former president Vicente Fox not doing anything and other factors)
By clanko
Well, there was a huge teacher contingent in the violence as well..as opposed to it being some sort of nasty cabal from the APPO.

That's the conflict, in a nutshell. There's naturally a lot more (like the former president Vicente Fox not doing anything and other factors)

Like....blank uniformed death squads gunning people down?
By TaylorS
I'm not suprised that this isn't mentioned by the Corporatist Media in the US. Can't let the Plebs know that people hate the US-backed neo-liberal lackeys. :roll:
By JustinG
Basically it is the on coming of the revolution in Mexico. Must of the issues that the people protesting and fighting for is workers solidarity.
By capndoncarnage
Just to let you all know, the teachers union and the APPO are having their marches this weekend.

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octob[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

So you do, or do not applaud Oct 7th? If you say […]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]