Iran, Russia condemn Israeli attack on Syria airport - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Iran and Russia have condemned an attack by Israel on a major airport in Syria as an act of aggression and a blatant violation of the Arab country's sovereignty.
Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General HosseinDehqan condemned the attack earlier on Thursday on an area near the international airport in the Syrian capital Damascus, saying the aggression was in line with Israel's policy to help the terrorist groups fighting the Syrian government.
“In my opinion, those operations help terrorists,” Dehqan said while on a visit to Moscow, adding that the strike was meant to undermine the gains made by the Syrian government against terrorist groups.
“When it becomes worse for the terrorists, the strikes follow, bringing them a message saying: 'We are defending and protecting you, so don’t worry and if it’s necessary we’ll intervene,” the Iranian defense minister stated.
Such strikes "are only aimed at ensuring the survival of terrorists," he added.
Israeli Intelligence Minister Yisrael Katz condoned the Thursday morning attack, saying it was in line with an established policy to target weapons depots belonging to the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah, a main ally of the Syrian government in its fight against Takfiri militants.
“I can confirm that the incident in Syria completely conforms to Israel’s policy,” he said.
Russia, which has also been assisting Damascus in the anti-terror fight since September 2015, also denounced the attack near Damascus as an act of aggression.
"Moscow condemns acts of aggression against Syria and regards them as impermissible and running counter to international law," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Thursday, adding, "We are urging all to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria, a UN member-state."
Syrian authorities have yet to officially report on the extent of damage suffered in the attack and whether it inflicted casualties. However, the state-run SANA news agency has quoted officials as blaming Israel for the attack. Earlier reports had suggested that the area was hit by missiles fired from the occupied Palestinian territories. Later reports, including one by the al-Aalam news network, said Israeli fighter jets had carried out the attack.
There have been numerous reports indicating that militants fighting the Damascus government since 2011 enjoy arms support and medical care from Israel.
The Israeli military said on Thursday night that it had shot down what it identified only as "a target" over the occupied Golan Heights. Some media outlets claimed that the object was a drone, but a military spokeswoman refused to comment.
skinster wrote:Ad-homs are weak-sauce.

Finkelstein is correct, Israel is a lunatic state, constantly attacking the natives, neighbours and pushing for war with other states, such as Iran.

And yet, it still largely works in Israel's favor. Don't get me wrong: I don't support Israel's Zionist leadership nor its imperialist policies in the region. However, little has come of Israel's policies that hurt it. There are the occasional mostly-harmless rocket bombs fired by Hamas, the occasional car-bombing in Israel itself, and so on. For the most part, Israel enjoys hegemony over the region, and the capacity to strike at almost any opponent except for Iran and Turkey. The Israeli government can shrug off boycotts and diplomatic condemnations, including any that come from the UN.

I don't condone Israel's policies, but the core objective for everything Israel does seems to be grounded in maintaining Israel's ability to survive any attack by its neighbors, at all costs, regardless of diplomatic fallout. I'm not sure how much of that is due to a survivalist attitude by the Israelis who emigrated to Israel before and after the late 1940s, a post-Holocaust mentality, or a reaction to repeated attacks by their Arab neighbors, but Israel's belligerence and aggression seems to simply be an extreme overreacting and heavy-handed means of maintaining regional hegemony and neutralizing its neighbors' ability to wage even a defensive war against Israel. That last part is telling, because after all, who seriously thinks Israel is going to stop with the West Bank and, once they've finished ethnically cleansing it, Gaza?

Their policies seem rational, but they certainly seem lunatic in regards to how over-the-top their level of aggression is to their neighbors.
The reasons Israel gets away with what it does is because of the support it enjoys from the empire and other powerful Western states, the weapons it gets/has from the same and because it is never penalized for any of its crimes. Given this, its policies seem "rational".

And agreed, Israel hasn't indicated anything as far as ceasing its lebensraum.
What I mean is that I don't see Israel led by people who seem crazy in the same way the DPRK is led by crazy people. As long as Israel receives billions in free money and weapons, they just don't care what anyone says about their acts of genocide against the Palestinians. They also seem immune to the irony of that: it's as if Israel's leadership over the last few decades learned that Germany's ultimate mistake was being impatient about committing genocide and territorial annexation, since Israel's policies are geared towards the piecemeal cleansing of Palestinians.
Actually Hitler could have won if he was a bit smarter

and Israel is not commiting any genocide. this is the most ridiculous statement ever. its funny that the same people that accuse Israel of genocide are not accusing bashar assad of genocide who in 6 years killed 5x times more people than the entire death toll of the Israeli Arab conflict
Bulaba Jones wrote:What I mean is that I don't see Israel led by people who seem crazy in the same way the DPRK is led by crazy people. As long as Israel receives billions in free money and weapons, they just don't care what anyone says about their acts of genocide against the Palestinians. They also seem immune to the irony of that: it's as if Israel's leadership over the last few decades learned that Germany's ultimate mistake was being impatient about committing genocide and territorial annexation, since Israel's policies are geared towards the piecemeal cleansing of Palestinians.

Agreed, but it's the impunity they receive as well which gives them free reign to continue with their oppression and ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people, if this wasn't there they'd stop acting like psychos long ago. I think there are some things that prevent the Israelis from acting quicker/psycho-ier than they have in recent times, particularly the BDS movement.

As for the DPRK, I'd say they're less crazy and actually kinda rational, given their history with America and Japan.
BRICS will fail

BRICS involves one of several configurations emplo[…]

So you do justify October 7, but as I said lack th[…]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]