Do Any Trump Supporters Know Why We Are Still In Afghanistan? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
@Suntzu
It doesn't matter if you have the same resources and minerals back home. What matters is that when it comes to the international market, more suppliers means lower prices. And a country with huge reserves of minerals like Afghanistan suddenly starts extracting them and selling them on the international market will certainly damage some US suppliers as well as countries that depends on those sectors. Like Australia for example.

On the other hand, The US as mentioned before retains presence in Afghanistan for geopolitical and strategic interests.
While the US doesn't benefit directly from retaining presence in Afghanistan, it benefits from limiting how much leverage and influence other regional players have in Afghanistan. Basically, the US benefit from not having Iran or China benefit and become even stronger.
So essentially, be assured you Americans (as in, the people) will keep footing the bill of the war in Afghanistan for many many years to come. :p
anasawad wrote:@Suntzu
It doesn't matter if you have the same resources and minerals back home. What matters is that when it comes to the international market, more suppliers means lower prices. And a country with huge reserves of minerals like Afghanistan suddenly starts extracting them and selling them on the international market will certainly damage some US suppliers as well as countries that depends on those sectors. Like Australia for example.

On the other hand, The US as mentioned before retains presence in Afghanistan for geopolitical and strategic interests.
While the US doesn't benefit directly from retaining presence in Afghanistan, it benefits from limiting how much leverage and influence other regional players have in Afghanistan. Basically, the US benefit from not having Iran or China benefit and become even stronger.
So essentially, be assured you Americans (as in, the people) will keep footing the bill of the war in Afghanistan for many many years to come. :p

Rare earth mining in the U.S. has already been driven out of business by cheap Chinese imports. We need to get out of the Middle East and mind our own business. It is not worth trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives. Afghanistan will never be anything but a shithole. We can get our opium from Mexico.
@Suntzu
If we ignored all the tons of heavy minerals there and ignored all the geopolitical interests and focused on Lithium alone.
Its easy to see why the economic future of the US is heavily attached to its presence in Afghanistan.

Just imagen the immense costs (much higher than the current war costs) of having the most valuable and essential mineral to your economy, under the control of a rival power (China, and possibly Iran).

The minute the US gets out of Afghanistan, it won little in the short term and lost big in the long term.
Actually it was the US government that reported the discovery, along side, as expressed, vast amount of minerals including gold and iron.

For economic feasibility, considering the scarcity of the mineral, and the level of development and expansion of industrial sectors requiring it; It will be feasible in the future. Until then, its a battle for who holds control over the reserves.
You know, like why countries fight over resources, even basic things like water reserves and sometimes even go to war for it even if they're not planning to use it before several decades ahead.
Its the control over reserves of important resources that gives a country power, and not necessarily extracting them at the current time.
No, because those are already under the control of your corporations.
Afghanistan on the other hand is bordering Iran, Pakistan, China and in reach of Russia. All of whom are, well, not your friends to say the least.
And you maintain presence in Afghanistan so they don't control the resources there and leverage it to their advantage.
anasawad wrote:No, because those are already under the control of your corporations.
Afghanistan on the other hand is bordering Iran, Pakistan, China and in reach of Russia. All of whom are, well, not your friends to say the least.
And you maintain presence in Afghanistan so they don't control the resources there and leverage it to their advantage.

What resources?
Crantag wrote:As I understand it, the failed plan was to build an oil pipeline from the Caspian Sea region. Afghanistan also has a lot of mineral resources, including rare earth minerals, if I'm not mistaken.

This is the ridiculous Marxist fantasy of Imperialism. Business people can be stupid the same as the next person. But I doubt there's many people in the world stupid enough to believe that Afghanistan was a viable business investment. The idea that America's corporations persuaded Bush to invade Afghanistan because it was a business opportunity just shows how pathetic the far left's fantasy world is.

Fact: 19 Sunni Muslims attacked America on 9/11. Absolutely nothing surprising there. From Saudi to Algeria to Iraq, Muslims were constantly murdering people, very often other Muslims, like Commies often murdered other Commies and Medieval Christians often murdered other Christians.

Cuckservatives like W Bush, moderate lefties like Blair and Obama and the so called truthers all tried to pretend that 9/11 had nothing to do with Islam.
Beren wrote:I'm sure that 9/11 in Chile had a lot to do with Islam too. ;)

In my far from humble opinion first past the post, executive presidencies and term limits are all stupid, inferior forms of democracy. Now I know a lot of people like these ideas. That's fine, just don't start whining when you end up with divisive dysfunctional politics, that can end in coups. Allende received 36.9% of the vote. Popular unity didn't have majority support. Allende was seeking to set up a Castro style dictatorship by stealth under Castro's guidance. Pinochet should be remembered as a hero who saved Chilean pluralism and in the longer run democracy.
Rich wrote:In my far from humble opinion first past the post, executive presidencies and term limits are all stupid, inferior forms of democracy. Now I know a lot of people like these ideas. That's fine, just don't start whining when you end up with divisive dysfunctional politics, that can end in coups. Allende received 36.9% of the vote. Popular unity didn't have majority support. Allende was seeking to set up a Castro style dictatorship by stealth under Castro's guidance. Pinochet should be remembered as a hero who saved Chilean pluralism and in the longer run democracy.

It's all fine and dandy, however, we shouldn't forget about the active role of the CIA in the coup, which was supposed to be my point. :)
Rich wrote:This is the ridiculous Marxist fantasy of Imperialism. Business people can be stupid the same as the next person. But I doubt there's many people in the world stupid enough to believe that Afghanistan was a viable business investment. The idea that America's corporations persuaded Bush to invade Afghanistan because it was a business opportunity just shows how pathetic the far left's fantasy world is.

Fact: 19 Sunni Muslims attacked America on 9/11. Absolutely nothing surprising there. From Saudi to Algeria to Iraq, Muslims were constantly murdering people, very often other Muslims, like Commies often murdered other Commies and Medieval Christians often murdered other Christians.

Cuckservatives like W Bush, moderate lefties like Blair and Obama and the so called truthers all tried to pretend that 9/11 had nothing to do with Islam.

It's a good thing I never made any such claims.

Looks like I got a fanboy in Rich though.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It has always been this way, @QatzelOk . Zionists[…]

...You are a supporter of the genocide against th[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]