USA and Taliban sign Peacedeal - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
The Afghans have to negotiate a peacedeal when the US Forces are out.

The Taliban can win a war against the government but they can not manage the country wich is full of resources and could be as rich as Dubai.

"copper, lithium, talc, marble, gold, uranium and others"

The Taliban live and die for Honour. I think they will keep their pledge and the country will find peace
Last edited by Skynet on 29 Feb 2020 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:
Any proposals of an inter-afghan peacedeal???

The Taliban control 40% of the country so they could get 40% of Parlaiment seats.

Not gonna happen.

Pakistan wants to control Afghanistan, and they plan on using the Taliban to do it.

The Taliban will get it all, something we've known almost from the beginning.
late wrote:Not gonna happen.

Pakistan wants to control Afghanistan, and they plan on using the Taliban to do it.

This would mean they lie, like normal politicians do. But I think they have a different mentality then normal politicians one of honour.

And in the 90s they did not controle the hole country the north resisted the strict taliban rule.

I hope for the country they hold their pledge or else it will become a proxy war like in the 90s between India and Pakistan
Last edited by Skynet on 01 Mar 2020 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
late wrote:Not gonna happen.

Pakistan will not be able to control Afghanistan any more than any other country can control Afghanistan, or Afghanistan control itself. Withdrawal was and is inevitable, and Afghans will go back to the time honored national sport of killing each other instead of the foreigners who always leave. What should have happened is a punitive expedition to teach the Jihadis hiding in Afghanistan a lesson by killing as many of them as is possible, and then withdraw. But the United States didn't do that because some of us are delusional about nation-building... When we can't even ''build'' our own country up yet persist in lecturing other nations.
As soon as the US pulls out, that place is going to fall apart, and that's ok.

Question, would india move in as a way to push back on pakistan?
annatar1914 wrote:Pakistani But the United States didn't do that because some of us are delusional about nation-building... When we can't even ''build'' our own country up yet persist in lecturing other nations.

This was already tried
The Soviet Union bombed everything to hell and the insurgency just got bigger
Last edited by Skynet on 02 Mar 2020 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
annatar1914 wrote:
Pakistan will not be able to control Afghanistan any more than any other country can control Afghanistan, or Afghanistan control itself. Withdrawal was and is inevitable, and Afghans will go back to the time honored national sport of killing each other instead of the foreigners who always leave. What should have happened is a punitive expedition to teach the Jihadis hiding in Afghanistan a lesson by killing as many of them as is possible, and then withdraw. But the United States didn't do that because some of us are delusional about nation-building... When we can't even ''build'' our own country up yet persist in lecturing other nations.

Good point.
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:This was already tried
The Sovie Union bombed everything to hell and the insurgency just got bigger

But you'll note, that even today Jihadis do not control Central Asia as their Basmachi ancestors wanted and tried to do after the Russian October Revolution in 1917 and were beaten by the Red Army in the 1920's. And that's why the Soviet Union went into Afghanistan in 1979, to control an pandemic of Jihadi Islamism from spreading again into Central Asia.
@annatar1914

The Soviets were ruthless in Afghanistan and to me, it seemed their strategy almost worked. They had a "scorched earth" policy of depriving the insurgents they fought any possibility of food and water to subsist on. Had the insurgents not had a safe haven in Pakistan, I believe the Soviet strategy would have worked in Afghanistan.
annatar1914 wrote:Pakistan will not be able to control Afghanistan any more than any other country can control Afghanistan,

:lol: Yeah its a great a joke that one. Please please stop the laughter will kill me! Yeah I remember, the whole one about how the ISI couldn't stop Osama Bin Laden attacking America from Afghanistan. What was so particularly funny was that Americans and Europeans were either so stupid as to believe it or so cowardly as pretend to believe it. Pakistan would have no trouble controlling Afghanistan, the only problem of control is that the Pakistani Democracy when its allowed to function can't control the Pakistani deep state.

You obviously like fairy tales, perhaps you also liked the one about the Pakistani security state not knowing where Bin Laden was hiding. Remember why Osama launched his war against the far enemy in the first place. It was because of the lack of opportunities to take on the near enemy after the defeat of the Algerian Islamists. By 2011, there were lots of opportunities for Al Qaeda and western Zionist governments to ally both against Shia forces and secular dictators that had fallen out of fashion. That's why the ISI gave up Bin Laden. The whole thing was nicely timed for the anniversary to help Obama's re-election campaign.
Rich wrote::lol: Yeah its a great a joke that one. Please please stop the laughter will kill me! Yeah I remember, the whole one about how the ISI couldn't stop Osama Bin Laden attacking America from Afghanistan. What was so particularly funny was that Americans and Europeans were either so stupid as to believe it or so cowardly as pretend to believe it. Pakistan would have no trouble controlling Afghanistan, the only problem of control is that the Pakistani Democracy when its allowed to function can't control the Pakistani deep state.

You obviously like fairy tales, perhaps you also liked the one about the Pakistani security state not knowing where Bin Laden was hiding. Remember why Osama launched his war against the far enemy in the first place. It was because of the lack of opportunities to take on the near enemy after the defeat of the Algerian Islamists. By 2011, there were lots of opportunities for Al Qaeda and western Zionist governments to ally both against Shia forces and secular dictators that had fallen out of fashion. That's why the ISI gave up Bin Laden. The whole thing was nicely timed for the anniversary to help Obama's re-election campaign.

Influence is not control, and the Pakistani ISI can't even control the hill tribes in their own country much less Afghanistan. Your narrative is a very biased one.
Politics_Observer wrote:@annatar1914

The Soviets were ruthless in Afghanistan and to me, it seemed their strategy almost worked. They had a "scorched earth" policy of depriving the insurgents they fought any possibility of food and water to subsist on. Had the insurgents not had a safe haven in Pakistan, I believe the Soviet strategy would have worked in Afghanistan.

It would have also worked if some measure of war was extended into Pakistan, to strike the Jihadi supply bases and safe havens and smuggling routes. But that would have caused problems with the West.
@annatar1914

Yes the Soviet strategy in Afghanistan was a classic Russian strategy that they used while Russia was being invaded by France and the Germans throughout their history except in Afghanistan it was a scorched earth policy in reverse. The Russians would destroy all crops and anything of value so that when the invading enemy forces arrived and captured pieces of Russian territory there was nothing of value left for the enemy to use. This was a strategy designed to prevent their enemies from foraging on them.

A common tactic the Union Army partook in during the American Civil War was to forage supplies on captured enemy territory in the Southern United States. The Russian strategy of scorched earth is designed to prevent and deny an invading enemy those supplies and thus raise the cost on invading armies for invading given that they then have to rely on their own supplies instead of food and crops left behind by retreating Russian forces.

In Afghanistan, the Soviets used the same strategy in reverse. They would poison the water supplies of rural areas where enemy insurgents blended in with the civilian population as well as destroyed crops and poisoned the soil to where crops could no longer be grown. This denied enemy insurgents that blended in and hid within the civilian population any sort of food supplies. However, it had the effect of creating a massive refuge crisis in Pakistan and depopulating the rural areas of Afghanistan. Plus, the Soviets would level whole villages with Mi-24 gunships. That was a serious monster of a helicopter with some serious firepower and it was heavily armored too.
@annatar1914

Main thing the West was afraid of when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan was the potential threat that the Soviets would continue into Iran and seize Iranian oil fields. The second thing that concerned the West was preventing the Soviets from gaining a warm water port through Iran or Pakistan. If the Soviets went into Iran, an interview of Jimmy Carter indicated he would have been willing to use nuclear weapons to stop a Soviet advance into Iran from Afghanistan.

This could have been bluster on the part of Jimmy Carter but if I were the Soviets I would not have tested Jimmy Carter on that and risk a nuclear war either by invading oil rich Iran knowing how important Middle East oil was to the West. I am not so sure he would been willing to do the same though if the Soviets went into Pakistan. It's also important to bear in mind that it would have been hard to predict how Reagan would have reacted had the Soviets went into Pakistan to deny safe haven to Afghan insurgents. If they did, they also could have established themselves a warm water port which the West did not want the Soviets to have.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]