China boosts business links with S Africa - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
China boosts business links with S Africa
By Richard Lapper in Johannesburg
May 12 2010

China will on Friday formally announce its largest investment in South Africa for two years, entrenching its position as the resource-rich continent’s most important economic and commercial partner

The China Africa Development Fund and the Jidong Development Group will help build a new cement plant worth at least Rmb1.5bn ($220m, €174m, £148m), the Financial Times has learned.

The announcement lays the ground for a planned August visit to Beijing by Jacob Zuma, the South African president, who has made deepening economic and political ties with China a priority of his foreign policy.

China emerged as South Africa’s largest trading partner last year, partly due to a large rise in iron ore exports, mirroring a trend in other countries on the continent, which have been courted by Beijing for their resources and growing markets.

The latest agreement will see the two Chinese entities joining forces with Continental Cement, a local enterprise, and Women Investment Portfolio Holdings, a South African company dedicated to empowering black women. They will build the new plant in Gauteng province, outside Johannesburg.

The new plant is aimed at making up a shortfall of domestic building products, such as cement, much of its caused by the huge infrastructure programme from construction for the football World Cup.

Congested roads and railways make it relatively costly for South Africa to import cement, so investment in local production facilities is correspondingly more attractive

Growing economic ties with China and other big emerging markets have paved the way for closer political ties, especially since Mr Zuma came to office last May. While his predecessor, Thabo Mbeki, expressed reservations about China’s role in Africa, Mr Zuma’s own enthusiasm has been greater.

A $5.5bn investment by the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China in South Africa’s Standard Bank agreed in October 2007 remains easily the largest Chinese investment in Africa to date, accounting for about a quarter of the funds that Beijing dedicated to the continent.

Much of that investment has concentrated on roads, power plants and other infrastructure but analysts say a growing number of Chinese companies are beginning to buy building and other materials locally. They are also eyeing Africa’s rapidly growing consumer markets.

For example, FAW, a Chinese carmaker, last month announced a $100m investment in South Africa. “Chinese companies are coming to the party,” said Martyn Davies, chief executive of Frontier Advisory Services, a Johannesburg-based consultancy. “They have a high level of confidence in the continent and see South Africa as a springboard for expansion elsewhere.”

Mr Davies predicted that the China African Development Fund will probably fund much of this investment. CADF, which eventually expects to have $5bn available, established a South African office last March. “They have a lot more deals in the pipeline,” he said.

The Financial Times

There is nothing new really except the ferocity with which Chinese companies - mostly state-owned - have invested in and built up relations with African countries. All this seems to be under the radar - despite being reported in mainstream press - while the US is too busy with its domestic politics and war on terror in countries where China also has begun to make investment. You'd think the US wants to contain China but not really at this stage.
By Igor Antunov
The US is the one that should be contained. China brings infrastructure and investment, the US brings bombs and violence. That's the key difference between imperialism and legitimate economic trade.
By politburo player
The US is the one that should be contained. China brings infrastructure and investment, the US brings bombs and violence. That's the key difference between imperialism and legitimate economic trade.

You make me laugh so hard I almost stumbe.

China is the new lowest denominator when it comes to imperialism. They are now getting involved in dirty little third world conflicts that you can't even find on Wikipedia. Maybe you forgot about China's history of selling containers of .25 cent machetes to Africans that killed millions. Read up on recent and ancient (decade old) history...
By ThereBeDragons
Indeed, China is evil. Selling machetes for so cheap undermines the American arms market.
By kingbee
Maybe you forgot about China's history of selling containers of .25 cent machetes to Africans that killed millions. Read up on recent and ancient (decade old) history...

PP, I often find your claims have no source. Can we get one please?
By Igor Antunov
Maybe you forgot about China's history of selling containers of .25 cent machetes to Africans that killed millions. Read up on recent and ancient (decade old) history...

:lol:

Machetes are not designed for use as weapons or specifically killing people. All my knives say 'made in china' I'm assuming if I go on a stabbing spree you can blame not me, but china.
By politburo player
(Read between the lines)

Unloading crates of free machetes for use by illiterate, shoeless peasants to exact revenge on other ethnic groups is practically the definition of genocide. We are not talking about selling Chinese collector knives to be put on a shelf in some redneck's bedroom here... China lit the wick of genocide.

By Dagoth Ur
Yup America and the west never armed death squads. And if they ever did, the certainly don't anymore. Right? :roll:
By politburo player
Well maybe you could remind us of a few contemporary examples where two million people died because of U.S.-supplied arms.
By Igor Antunov
That were referring to machetes as arms equivalent to rifles and the like speaks of your ridiculous stance. Most of the world's knives are made in China, let's blame them for all of the worlds stabbings, after all they supply these 'arms'.
By politburo player
That were referring to machetes as arms equivalent to rifles and the like speaks of your ridiculous stance. Most of the world's knives are made in China, let's blame them for all of the worlds stabbings, after all they supply these 'arms'.

You don't think it makes a difference that these "knives" or "machetes" were delivered by the truck load to squatter camps where poor Africans lived at the start of the war? Youth and unemployed males chewing khat scampered at the opportunity to maim the other tribe on the opposite side of town given such a plentiful supply of killing blades. You might as well flick a match into a pool of gasoline... Stop being such a hypocrite!
By ThereBeDragons
Arms sales to Africa of any stripe are reprehensible. The reason that they get rifles from the United States and machetes from China is because the West is good at manufacturing rifles and China is good at manufacturing machetes. While shipping machetes to Rwanda is reprehensible, the same is true for sending light arms to war-torn regions like the Congo, although Russia seems to have been the largest offender with respect to the African arms trade, as it liquidates large portions of its Soviet military. In particular, I find your story of Chinese delivery of machetes directly to camps somewhat implausible; it is more likely that Chinese people simply dropped containers off at ports, although if you could source it that would be nice.

Here is some basic information on the global arms trade:
http://www.globalissues.org/article/74/ ... g-business
By politburo player
In particular, I find your story of Chinese delivery of machetes directly to camps somewhat implausible; it is more likely that Chinese people simply dropped containers off at ports, although if you could source it that would be nice.

Of course the containers were left at ports... where they were quickly emptied into military trucks bound for villages. This tactic made everybody - even young boys - killers.
By Igor Antunov
Of course the containers were left at ports... where they were quickly emptied into military trucks bound for villages. This tactic made everybody - even young boys - killers.

So the Chinese made African boys into killers by dropping off machetes at ports? :roll:

God forbid if they had dropped off ACTUAL FIREARMS.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Moscow expansion drives former so called Warsaw (i[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will do[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]