Renaissance party offers clean break to Tunisian voters - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Ennahda - or the Renaissance Party - was banned under the old dictatorship, its leaders forced into jail or exile.

Its dangerous struggle against the regime of the detested ousted President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali partly explains its success at this election: Voters were looking for a clean break with the past and Ennahda's strong anti-corruption credentials proved a powerful electoral asset.

Ennahda remains an enigma though. It is an Islamist Party but does not seek an Islamic state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15453466

Two points, firstly I'm no fan of liberal democracy, however it does seem an improvement that the autocracies of North Africa, so I will applaud the Tunisian people for taking this step along a revolutionary path.

Secondly, we have had many critics on here claiming that the biggest winner in the Tunisian election plans to chain all women up, force them to be covered in sheets and beat them night and day, or something to that effect. This seems to be complete and utter rubbish. People need to understand that religion, politics and social values inform each other in all societies and are effectively expressions of the same thing, the battle for women in Tunisia is not against Islamism but against patriarchy that can be expressed as easily though liberalism than religion
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

There are numerous ways this is being attempted b[…]

Okay, so you’ve finally accepted that the Romans[…]

@Rich But the English and Americans are not Sp[…]

I met a guy from Nigeria, he explained me in Niger[…]