Is Africa A Sh*tHole? One African Thinks So. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
jessupjonesjnr87 wrote:It's not sarcasm and I'm not critising anyone, that's just the way it is.

I am curious about this opinion. So why is the wealth of the west, and the unconscious acts of its citizens, contributing to the continued shit-hole state of places like Africa, in your opinion? Why do you believe this to be true, what are your reasons?
Neo-imperialism and neo-colonialism of the developing world by the US and its allies is not an opinion. It is a fact.

Trump’s rude, unintelligent, probably racist, imprecise, inappropriate, generalisation is an opinion. Which is why it seems odd that people think it is somehow correct.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Neo-imperialism and neo-colonialism of the developing world by the US and its allies is not an opinion. It is a fact.

Trump’s rude, unintelligent, probably racist, imprecise, inappropriate, generalisation is an opinion. Which is why it seems odd that people think it is somehow correct.

Somebody's triggered. I don't really care about your feelings on the matter and I didn't ask you the question at hand.

Don't get offended. Chill.

People tend to think Trump's statement is correct, because it is correct. Africa and the 3rd world are shitholes.

Why people would think the post-colonial west is responsible for them being shitholes is something I am interested in and why I asked someone (not you) for their opinion on the matter.

You are welcome to give an explanation and answer instead, but that would require you to make arguments and give presentations, which is not your style.
The issue is not whether Trump was being honest. Whether Africa is a shithole is a matter of perspective. Much of it is certainly not pleasant, and regardless of the excuses (the legacy of colonialism, mismanagement by native leaders, decades of war and famine and disease across the continent, etc) as to why Africa is the least developed permanently inhabited continent on the planet, it's the issue of how Trump conducts himself.

China has been pouring many billions of dollars into Africa for many years now. They are intent on attempting to replace Western influence as much as possible for the long term: it won't happen tomorrow, but it's clear they have a long-reaching strategy to become the major rivaling power for influence in Africa, and they're well on their way to succeeding.

A world leader in Trump's position might feel strongly, with conviction and reasonable justification, for thinking "Africa is a shithole." Saying something like that out loud in front of other major politicians isn't simply gross stupidity, but what we call a diplomatic incident. As @Drlee has already pointed out, it weakens American diplomacy in the entire region, makes it more difficult to gather intelligence and do business, and strengthens the hand of rival powers like China who are invested in Africa.

It might seem exciting or empowering for some people to see Trump blurt things out loud, with no mental filter, about what he thinks about certain things (even if his perspective is pretty accurate in the real world), but anyone can clearly see how dumb it is to behave and talk like that. It helps no one but our rivals when the POTUS behaves like a child.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Somebody's triggered. I don't really care about your feelings on the matter and I didn't ask you the question at hand.

Don't get offended. Chill.

Lol. You are now emulating @Finfinder?

He also accuses people of being emotional instead of making valid points.

People tend to think Trump's statement is correct, because it is correct. Africa and the 3rd world are shitholes.

Not quite.

People tend to think Trump's opinion is correct, because he says stupid racist things and stupid racists then feel vindicated.

And then when people point out it was stupid and racist, everyone runs to Trump’s defense because these Trump supporters feel people are (correctly) calling them out on their stupid racism, and Trump benefits by having a whole bunch of people defending his stupid racist opinions.

Why people would think the post-colonial west is responsible for them being shitholes is something I am interested in and why I asked someone (not you) for their opinion on the matter.

You are welcome to give an explanation and answer instead, but that would require you to make arguments and give presentations, which is not your style.

Sure. Look up ”US intervention in Africa” to start.

Or look up “IMF african debt”.

Or look up the meanings of neo-colonialism and neo-imperialism.
Beren wrote:The best in the Trump presidency is that every Tom, Dick, and Harry at an auto repair shop or construction job-site can feel like president anytime the Donald opens his mouth. Also, the issue is not whether there are shithole countries in Africa. I like the comparison with Blair, his words sound like that of a statesman.

Yes, and Senator Graham is considered a statesman by saying publicly in the Senate 4 years ago that we can not accept people from every "hell-hole" in the world. Somehow "shit" is racist and "hell" is not. Is it the color of "shit" that makes the difference?

Last edited by Hindsite on 16 Jan 2018 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Lol. You are now emulating @Finfinder?

He also accuses people of being emotional instead of making valid points.

You must be emotional since you follow me around like a puppy dog, replying with this same statement. In reality, it seems that facts which do not align with your progressive ideals obviously trigger you.
The statement from a country leader was idiotic. It was extremely undiplomatic, and also very false. This is not something that your leader should be saying. Remember, he represents all Americans, not just the assholes.

Most people who call Africa a shit-hole, have never ventured far from their backyards in Bigotville, USA, are exercising their ethnocentrism and cultural superiority complex. The same applies to all the so-called "third world countries" that people routinely comment on.

As someone already mentioned, there are shit-holes everywhere, and in every country.
Bulaba Jones wrote:The issue is not whether Trump was being honest. Whether Africa is a shithole is a matter of perspective. Much of it is certainly not pleasant, and regardless of the excuses (the legacy of colonialism, mismanagement by native leaders, decades of war and famine and disease across the continent, etc) as to why Africa is the least developed permanently inhabited continent on the planet, it's the issue of how Trump conducts himself.

China has been pouring many billions of dollars into Africa for many years now. They are intent on attempting to replace Western influence as much as possible for the long term: it won't happen tomorrow, but it's clear they have a long-reaching strategy to become the major rivaling power for influence in Africa, and they're well on their way to succeeding.

A world leader in Trump's position might feel strongly, with conviction and reasonable justification, for thinking "Africa is a shithole." Saying something like that out loud in front of other major politicians isn't simply gross stupidity, but what we call a diplomatic incident. As @Drlee has already pointed out, it weakens American diplomacy in the entire region, makes it more difficult to gather intelligence and do business, and strengthens the hand of rival powers like China who are invested in Africa.

It might seem exciting or empowering for some people to see Trump blurt things out loud, with no mental filter, about what he thinks about certain things (even if his perspective is pretty accurate in the real world), but anyone can clearly see how dumb it is to behave and talk like that. It helps no one but our rivals when the POTUS behaves like a child.

It appears that Trump only whispered it to Senator Durbin, the only Democrat at the meeting, since the others did not hear it. And only Senator Graham, who called the places "hell-holes", has verified that the President said a bad word, but failed to verify it was "shit". But what I want to know is it the color of "shit" that makes it racist? Can you answer that?
Godstud wrote:It's not racist. It's just a really ignorant thing for a president to say. :knife:

Okay, now I get it. An intelligent President would have called the places "hell-holes" instead. Praise the Lord.
@Godstud the Chinese are busting moves all over the place and have been doing so for a long time. They are investing in Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico, all of Latin America, and Africa. They are doing it with a lot of deliberation. The purpose? To control the flow of economic trade, have access to the raw materials and markets, they are taking advantage of intellectual property rights that the USA claims to have exclusive rights to, they are doing all kinds of very chess like 'check-mate' moves on the world.

Why? Because they are planners and they have a long term strategy in mind. The PRC is in the latter stages of state capitalism. They are dealing with the fallout of decades of environmental degradation because they were the new manufacturing center for the first world nations who needed goods produced at a low cost. Now the rising wages and increasingly growing Chinese middle class are going to be going up the ranks and the planned and well regulated by the state private investment and industry of the PRC is going to go with a government/investment/leadership strategy that includes undermining any American control or influence in the "Third World" hellholes, shitholes or other non PC terms that these arrogant dumbell American elitists use. The final reality? That Africa has enormous resources. So does Latin America. The PRC has to deal with access to that if they hope to build up Chinese living standards and create sustainable growth over time without severe crashes with their state capitalist program.

The USA prez is not up to the task of coping with a Putin or the Chinese prez either. They will kick his ass and eat him for breakfast and probably have done so already. But that is the incompetent that the fear based American nationalistic tea party and semi redneck and non redneck but don't know better crowd chose. It is their call.

It is their messy bed without much intelligence, let them sleep in it.
Doesn't seem like Trump has admitted or denied this statement but you got to wonder why people leave their countries if they thought they were good places to live?

Regarding the US and western Europe, people move there because it's easy to do, not necessarily because it's so much better than every other place in the world you could live.
Finfinder wrote:You must be emotional since you follow me around like a puppy dog, replying with this same statement. In reality, it seems that facts which do not align with your progressive ideals obviously trigger you.

Sure.

Please note that you have not presented any argument, and the only thing you have done is exactly what I predicted you do.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Sure.

Please note that you have not presented any argument, and the only thing you have done is exactly what I predicted you do.

You predicted that I participated in an internet forum, gave an opinion based on another's post. Congratulations!! Are you in charge here or something; are you the mayor and your high level of internet autonomy I’m supposed to be crushed? :lol: :lol: I wasn't aware of the POD rules for posting.

To which I replied, I have observed that the same people who think and group people as a basket of deplorables are now all of a saddened outraged about a comment and using terms like bigot and racist to describe it.
Finfinder wrote:You predicted that I participated in an internet forum, gave an opinion based on another's post. Congratulations!! Are you in charge here or something; are you the mayor and your high level of internet autonomy I’m supposed to be crushed? :lol: :lol: I wasn't aware of the POD rules for posting.

To which I replied, I have observed that the same people who think and group people as a basket of deplorables are now all of a saddened outraged about a comment and using terms like bigot and racist to describe it.

None of this is an argument.

And your assumption that we are all Clinton supporters is incorrect. People can think Trump is stupid and racist and at the same time not like Clinton.

The link to the previous post is on this page. Ple[…]

It has already been explained that this type of c[…]

For me Republicanism is masculine and monarchism i[…]

Sure, keep thinking that. Election year is caus[…]