In Mumbai: The 60-storey house for just one family - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in India.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
This 60-storey house is for just one family.

India's richest man, Mukesh Ambani, is planning a palace in the heart of Mumbai with helipad, health club, hanging gardens and six floors of car parking.

His wife, mother and three children will live there with him, looked after by 600 live-in staff.

Construction has already started on what will eventually be a 175m tower and planners are aiming to complete it in September 2008.

Earlier this year, Forbes rated Mr Ambani as the richest resident Indian with a net worth of US$20.1 billion.

He came 14th in Forbes' 2007 worldwide rankings.

Currently he is chairman of petroleum major Reliance Industries Ltd, India's largest private sector company

The building, already worth £500 million, could start a rush on skyscrapers.

Daily Mail

1.It is estimated that more than 50% of the 12 million population (2001) in Bombay(Mumbai) live in the slums/shanty towns

Source (Power Point presentation)

Welcome to capitalism. :)
By Verv
Welcome to Capitalism.

His wife, mother and three children will live there with him, looked after by 600 live-in staff.

Oh yeah, giving 600 people jobs to live with him in his gigantic house isn't so bad, you know?

I guess he could spend hundreds of millions of dollars distributing randomly to poor people but that would wash up pretty fast and be entirely useless when it was all gone -- I can give a homeless man a thousand days of food but on day 1,001 he better have some kind of plan...

It woul dbe useless, of course, unless it was used as venture capital to establish new businesses to feed the poor people...
By Abood
I guess he could spend hundreds of millions of dollars distributing randomly to poor people but that would wash up pretty fast and be entirely useless when it was all gone -- I can give a homeless man a thousand days of food but on day 1,001 he better have some kind of plan...
Or you can pay for some kind of dignified housing and for his job-training.

Good idea?

The whole "If I give someone money, he's gonna waste it, so let him survive alone" argument is just idiotic. There's been self-help schemes all around the world, where people are trained to make a better living.
By Far-Right Sage
Welcome to Capitalism

Yes, because 60-story homes are the norm in most capitalist countries :roll:
By Abood
Where did I say that?

Inequality is a product of society and we all know it.

The only difference is that in India it's all in one city. Whereas in places like America the poor live somewhere, and the rich live somewhere else.
By Verv
Or you can pay for some kind of dignified housing and for his job-training.

Good idea?

The whole "If I give someone money, he's gonna waste it, so let him survive alone" argument is just idiotic. There's been self-help schemes all around the world, where people are trained to make a better living.

He is going to be giving 600 people constant employment as well as commissionin ga massive construction project that will require thousands of people to assemble the products tha the desires.

The guy is single handedly fueling dozens of businesses in a major way...

I do not reallys ee anythign wrong with it.

I also assume the guy must be an employer of tens of thousands of people.

I hope he lives it up well, the guy deserves it...

If we were to redistribute his wealth it would only be an example to others to not work to acheive more or to move to a different country because...

You cannot get that rich. Why work for more in India?

Answer that, Abood.
By Far-Right Sage
Inequality is a product of society and we all know it.

Inequality is a product of human nature and fair competition.
By Abood
If we were to redistribute his wealth it would only be an example to others to not work to acheive more or to move to a different country because...

You cannot get that rich. Why work for more in India?

Answer that, Abood.
Of course you would get more if you work. However, no one can get that much while others are ridiculously poor without employing people. Employment = exploitation.

Inequality is a product of capitalist society and we all know it.
That's what I meant to say.

Inequality is a product of competition.
Fixed.
By Far-Right Sage
Fixed.

Consider the fact that competition is also human nature.
By Verv
Of course you would get more if you work. However, no one can get that much while others are ridiculously poor without employing people. Employment = exploitation.

How can busiensses be created and corporations organized if there is no institution of employment?

I would like to hear about this.
By Rifleman
Employment = exploitation.

For years after I started my business my employees earned more than I did, because the money my business made needed to be kept in the firm to ensure that it grew without risking a cash flow crisis which would have led to my staff being out of work.

I can only dream of exploiting people, other than myself.

What I, as an employer, do is to risk my money and my time, in the hope of making some money. My staff risk nothing and are certain that come pay day the money will be in the bank.
By proudtobeamerican
thats ridiculous. its one thing to have a mansion in a remote area, its another to flaunt your money in a downtown district in front of everyone else. what's the saying: the larger the house, the more insecure and lonely the person is? if he has to have a 60 story house to flaunt his image around, thats great. no one is actually going to look up and admire him for that. bill gates' house (which i happen to live across the lake from), is the way a mansion is meant to be built. maybe he should take notes on that instead of trying to portray himself as some self-centered asshole.

So what? Palestinians get shot in the streets and[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

or we can give the invaders serbiian Republika S[…]

Quiz for 'educated' historians

Much of Hitler's nonsense in Mein Kampf goes alon[…]

You don't seem to be listening to the point of[…]