Satire Week Beginning 20/12/04 - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
By repr0bate
The last one was easily the funniest this time :lol: I love how they don't use the word 'gun' once. 'Protection', 'tools', 'life preserver'...does the marketing not work as well if you adress it for what it actually is - a machine designed to kill other people?
By Le Rouge
My God those are disguisting fascistic images, and besides the second ammendment never meant free ownership of GUNS let alone by the populus.
By Attila The Nun
CWAS wrote:Cops were fighting crime then, not every department was corrupt, We have a larger population and actual suburban population, so of course crimes are going to go up, during the great depression of course crime would be increased and in the south crime was releatively low.

More than enough were for my claim to be viable. Especially innercity cops, where most of the crime happened.

And? the majority of americans don't smoke or drink, however that should not impede the liberty of another american who wishes to do so. And you were not allowed to carry around conceled weapons in many municipalities then, there just was not a federal law against it, people owned guns and kept them in their home. The more popular guns owned then were larger, rifles and shotguns, not glock nines, handguns were rather luxurious, I wonder someone wouldn't lag around a shotgun. Innocent victimes make up about 1/10,000 of gun crime. And modern day crime rates in many cities is higher today with gun control than it was then.

In 60 years there has not been one reputable study showing gun control reduces crime, in fact the anti gun tyrants are in a fury over the latest study that came back inconclusive.

Exactly! They don't carry around shotguns and rifles! And hell if you could even get your gun out in time if you were geting robbed. The only way you could would if the criminal turned his back and didn't notice you. Not to mention guns aren't the most concealable thing in the world.

And 1/10000, give me the number for that source.

And those studies show the wrong thing. Crime is a fact of life. No one can stop it. The difference is whether that criminal has a gun or not.
By repr0bate
The difference is whether that criminal has a gun or not.

I agree. This is something gun advocates seem to ignore. They assume only law abiding citizens will have guns...as if a gun is something that can't be stolen. Having armed citizens protects against armed criminals, but the solution is just to remove guns from society. There's a very big difference between crime in general and crime involving firearms. One pretty much guarantees someone involved will be killed or maimed.
By Saf
The "Mere Things" one is tres bon, M. Libertine.
By repr0bate
It's stupid. A computer, knives and matches all have multiple, peaceful uses. Name another use for a gun other than for killing.

(don't say practice shooting unless you're willing for live ammunition to be replaced with paintballs).
By Monkey Angst
By TROI

Love it :D.
By | I, CWAS |
Triggerhappy Nun
More than enough were for my claim to be viable. Especially innercity cops, where most of the crime happened.

Indeed and as gun control appearered those crime rates skyrockted to the point of "white flight" in which the inner cities were left with minorities in most places black ones, and guess who has the guns?

Exactly! They don't carry around shotguns and rifles! And hell if you could even get your gun out in time if you were geting robbed. The only way you could would if the criminal turned his back and didn't notice you. Not to mention guns aren't the most concealable thing in the world.

And 1/10000, give me the number for that source.

And those studies show the wrong thing. Crime is a fact of life. No one can stop it. The difference is whether that criminal has a gun or not.

States with right to carry laws (concealed weapons) have on average between 25%-30% lower violent crime rates. And this is my favorite of all
And those studies show the wrong thing

It's amazing when evidence proves people wrong, in fact almost every study, then it's just a fact of life, and that fact should be taking away the liberty of law abiding americans, so some liberal can feel superior. You should really research some actual facts about gun control history, here is a short one, but it's mainly focused on the lies of the liberals concerning assualt weapons.
hamline Journal of Public Law & Policy
http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/DeMay1.html

Reprobate
I agree. This is something gun advocates seem to ignore. They assume only law abiding citizens will have guns...as if a gun is something that can't be stolen. Having armed citizens protects against armed criminals, but the solution is just to remove guns from society. There's a very big difference between crime in general and crime involving firearms. One pretty much guarantees someone involved will be killed or maimed.

Oh I see, take away a law abiding constitutional right, because, possibly a criminal might have access to a gun, because there is no such thing as a black market. And I thought Gun Control advocates were out of touch with reality
Last edited by | I, CWAS | on 26 Dec 2004 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
By TROI
Unless every single member of society is in possession of a gun, regardless of economic position, there can be no argument for gun ownership.
By | I, CWAS |
TROI
Unless every single member of society is in possession of a gun, regardless of economic position, there can be no argument for gun ownership.

Forcing people to own one would be a violation of liberty, and as with most things many in the society will choose not to own one, but that does not invalidate the liberty of others. However Gun contorl laws work against the poor, and minorities, so It's almost impossible for many to own them. However as with alarm systems and marijuana you have to be able to afford it, I don't see any reason why someone couldn't afford one, if they relax regulation $50 will ge you a good gun
By TROI
Forcing people to own one would be a violation of liberty

Fine then, those who want to get one should be completely subsidised by the government.

Otherwise you have a economic hierarchy of those who can 'protect' themselves and those who can't.
By | I, CWAS |
Fine then, those who want to get one should be completely subsidised by the government.

Otherwise you have a economic hierarchy of those who can 'protect' themselves and those who can't.

In this situation government is the problem, if they are providing subsidies then they can set the rules. It's a right to own a gun, but Unlike healthcare, fire protection, education and other civil services, I can't see an ethical reason to subsidize them. It's just like Cocaine, I believe people should have the right--as in it not being a crime and little to no restrictions--There are payment plans, and other things, but just like a television set you have to be able to afford it, unless you are in the millitary.
By TROI
if they are providing subsidies then they can set the rules.

You're making things needlessly complicated. How could the government be setting the rules by giving everyone (not just your lower-middle class white fan base) the ability to 'protect' themselves?
By repr0bate
Oh I see, take away a law abiding constitutional right, because, possibly a criminal might have access to a gun, because there is no such thing as a black market. And I thought Gun Control advocates were out of touch with reality

Constitution? Yawn. Think for yourself, don't let a piece of paper do it ;) Your constitution holds zero relevance to me. The pictures you posted assume guns are only used for protection...as if a woman in her own home is going to have the time to raise a rifle and instantly kill the two armed men who break into her house. Pretty picture, yet you accuse me of being out of touch with reality? I wonder...have you ever actually been in a situation where a criminal was armed with a firearm? My dad was and having a gun wouldn't have helped in the slightest. I think of effectiveness; armed population >>> armed criminals >>> need for a gun. I respect your argument on the grounds of liberty, but not reality.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]