Satire Week Beginning 28/2/05 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
By Saf

People slamming the UN on Darfur know nothing about how it works. It's only as powerful as its member states and their contributions. Most conservatives idiotically bash the UN for failing in Darfur. Obviously no resolution was going to pass because there are no troops willing to be sent. America, as the world hegemon and biggest power, has the primary responsibility. But in the end, every nation that failed to act, multilaterally or unilaterally, is at fault: America, Canada, all of Europe, South America, etc.
By CCJ
Perhaps even, gasp, AFRICAN countries?
By Ombrageux
African countries are way too fucked up to worry about other African countries. The West on the other hand is swollen with money and stable. If we care about our fellow man, we have the means to help them.

But we don't care so the point is moot.
By Boondock Saint
People slamming the UN on Darfur know nothing about how it works.

The UN said it isnt genocide. Fuck the UN.

I do agree though that the UN is only capable of doing what the member states decide it should do ...

I believe though that the person who made the cartoon is trying to make the point that Hollywood is the only group with the balls to take on the whole genocide issue while the world govts (represented by the UN in this cartoon) stand around with their collective thumbs up their asses ...

Oh and Max knows how I feel about Africa.
By Kylie

In honor of Martha Stewart and her release from prison today!

The evil bitch of a hag that she is :D :evil:
By Ombrageux
I think the cartoon was also commenting on how the whole genocide issue was being commercialized by Hollywood and made into none-serious easy entertainment that answers our need for gore and as well as showing reality (voyeurism).

Not to say that all movies about war are commercialized and shallow, most WW2 ones are.
By Saf
The UN said it isnt genocide.

Wrap your brain around this: it was obviously genocide, BUT because we all know none of the powerful states were going to do anything about it (black people? no oil? fuck that!), it's no surprise that those states, who are most powerful in the UN, made sure it woudl not be called genocide. You act like the UN is this third-person separated from the states - it's not. It's MADE of the damned states. This isn't called genocide because Bush, Blair, Schroeder, and everyone else didn't WANT it to be called genocide so they wouldn't look like assholes.
By Eauz
I was just wondering, TAL, when will Canada be on the Axis of Evil list? I guess you have to knock out one of the 3 currently on there, before that happens eh? :roll:
By Boondock Saint
I think the cartoon was also commenting on how the whole genocide issue was being commercialized by Hollywood and made into none-serious easy entertainment that answers our need for gore and as well as showing reality (voyeurism).

I don't think Hotel Rawanda commercialized the killings, I think it actually had the balls to talk about it.

You act like the UN is this third-person separated from the states - it's not

Oh bullshit. The UN IS a third-entity. I know it is made up of states, naturally it is but you act as if when the state reps arent present there is no one home. There is UN staff, there are people who do not represent states in charge of the UN, running the UN, working for the UN ... not for states. I think you need to wrap your head around that ... and this ... the UN is a waste of time and is pointless. Kofi Annan is a criminal. The west is above the UN and should pull out ASAP, it serves no ones interests to continue this waste of time.
By Luke
TAL do you even know why it was refused?

Paul Martin refused to join into the BMD because he does not want to start an international arms race. Have you ever heard of George Santayana? The Bush Regime needs to learn from the Cold War instead of being so narrow-minded.
By STA
I got home faster when I drove faster than the speed limit. So that means breaking traffic laws works!
By Luke
We won the Cold War. So that means arm races work!

I'm going to be straight up about this. If you're being serious, you're an idiot.
By The American Lion
Soviet Union could not compete with us with Arms. Thats one of the reasons for the collapse of the USSR.
By Luke
Soviet Union could not compete with us with Arms. Thats one of the reasons for the collapse of the USSR.

Completely irrelevant... Is english your first language?
By CCJ
TAL, it doesn't matter who "won" the arms race: millions of people are dead because the US helped dictators and oppressive regimes. In addition, the US wasted TRILLIONS of dollars on WMDs [ you know, the kind of weapons we attacked Iraq for having, which, of course, they didn't ]. That money could have been spent on more important things like scientific research or whatnot. But no, we had to have a fucking arms race. At the end we were in debt up to our eyes.
By STA
There is no death penelty in Canada, therefore murders should be much higher per capita here, right? The opposite is true. Your world is shattered, TAL.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]