Satire Week Beginning 07/03/05 - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
By Maxim Litvinov
If the comic author didn't want to embrace the stereotype, then he shouldn't have adopted it.

The fact is there is much stronger evidence to support a link between gun culture and violence than there is between video games and violent behaviour in adolescents.

To the extent it's a comic about uninvolved parenting or encouraging violent behaviour, it's salient. But that it tries to make the point in so bankrupt a way is quite frustrating.
By Boondock Saint
To the extent it's a comic about uninvolved parenting or encouraging violent behaviour, it's salient. But that it tries to make the point in so bankrupt a way is quite frustrating.

Fair enough that it is as typical an argument as the one he has the character as saying but still ...

I believe the comic is pointing out that picking one issue out of a hat is not the answer ... or perhaps that is what I want to see and really the author is doing nothing but trying to blame video games for the violent culture we now live in.
By Infidel
Boondock Saint, do you mean that videogames create violence? I'm very doubtfull concerning that conclution. To me it seems that violent videogames is an expression of a violent society, but an harmless expression itself. Now, did Marilyn Manson create Columbine? The logic is quite similar...

Futhermore: What creates violence? Maybe not the best thread to start this kind of disussion but please, I find it very interesting. Someone?
By Boondock Saint
Boondock Saint, do you mean that videogames create violence? I'm very doubtfull concerning that conclution. To me it seems that violent videogames is an expression of a violent society, but an harmless expression itself. Now, did Marilyn Manson create Columbine? The logic is quite similar...

No no ...

I was not giving my opinion on anything but the cartoon itself.

I dont think GTA creates violence but it certainly does glorify it, I know I play it. It's a video game in which you can kill as many cops as you have ammo for, car jack someone and drive your new car into a spray shop to get the coppers off your tail. Then you go pick up a hooker, drive to a secluded area and fuck her to regain your health. Then when you are done and she gets out you get out and beat her to death to get your money back.

If that is not glorifying a culture of violence then nothing is.

Marilon Manson did not create Columbine, nor did Doom. But neither did much to help prevent it, in fact put together they helped create some motivation for the shooters. It is simple fact that that young and impressionable minds are easily swayed ...

I would say that to glorify violence only adds to the violence within a society thus compounding it further. Simply having firearms in a society does not create a violent society but in the current culture of violence seen in the US the presence of firearms only compounds it.

Why?

I don't know.

But one issue with not solve the problem.
By Infidel
Boondock Saint wrote:Then when you are done and she gets out you get out and beat her to death to get your money back.

I'm a very experienced GTA nerd, therefore I must contradict your statement. You can't reclaim your money by killing the "used" hooker, the ammount you will recive is identical with any other pedestian's and far under the cost of fucking youself to 125 hp. :D

Boondock Saint wrote:I would say that to glorify violence only adds to the violence within a society thus compounding it further. Simply having firearms in a society does not create a violent society but in the current culture of violence seen in the US the presence of firearms only compounds it.

This seems possible. But who are violent and who plays GTA? To me, the typical GTA player is a 16 year old computer nerd, a boy from the middle class. I don't think GTA players are overrepresented as violators. On the contrary, games like GTA can be a way to get rid of your aggressions. As you brightly state, it's the conbination between a violent envrioment and violent videogames that is fatal. Let's connect this to the cartoon: The father seems conserned about the violence in the society, therefore I'm sure he brings up his childen to respect one another and don't kill eachother. And doing this at the same time as he lets his children play GTA is not a contradiction!

Conclution: This cartoon is stupid.
By Apollos
...and somewhat hypocritical.

Since everyone seems to be commenting on these comics, I shall comment:
This is not a states rights issue. Murder is wrong morally, and therefore no state has the right to change that standard. Read the Declaration of Independence.
By N^G
No no ...

I was not giving my opinion on anything but the cartoon itself.

I dont think GTA creates violence but it certainly does glorify it, I know I play it. It's a video game in which you can kill as many cops as you have ammo for, car jack someone and drive your new car into a spray shop to get the coppers off your tail. Then you go pick up a hooker, drive to a secluded area and fuck her to regain your health. Then when you are done and she gets out you get out and beat her to death to get your money back.

If that is not glorifying a culture of violence then nothing is.

Marilon Manson did not create Columbine, nor did Doom. But neither did much to help prevent it, in fact put together they helped create some motivation for the shooters. It is simple fact that that young and impressionable minds are easily swayed ...

I would say that to glorify violence only adds to the violence within a society thus compounding it further. Simply having firearms in a society does not create a violent society but in the current culture of violence seen in the US the presence of firearms only compounds it.

Why?

I don't know.

But one issue with not solve the problem.

Why is it video games responsibility to contribute towards determining how people behave in society? Violent films which are much more graphical have been around for a long time, a lot longer than video games, yet it is video games that still get it in the neck.

Computer games do not create nutcases, although if someone can be affected so much by a game as to go out and harm someone in real life then its the people close to them's responsibility to make sure they dont have access to the product.
By Boondock Saint
Why is it video games responsibility to contribute towards determining how people behave in society

I never said it did.

I only said it's not helping. Neither are firearms in US society nor movies that glorify violence.

I am not saying anything should change, I am simply saying people should stop asking 'why are we so violent?' when it is glaringly obvious as to why we are so violent.

I have said it in other threads and I will say it again, I know and accept how violet we are and I embrace the culture of violence I live in. I do not blind myself to thinking that scapegoat-x is the one and only reason and that if we just outlaw scapegoat-x then all will be good.

I am not saying you feel that way, just that I do not.
By jaakko
Is that the leg of the U.S. Eagle?
By Lord_Tito

I think so.
By Boondock Saint

Since the cartoon is from Japan I would say it is indeed the talon of the Chinese dragon.
By Le Rouge
I find anyone who blames violent games and music for real violence blind - blind to the failing system of the family.

Maybe if kids went outside and chilled with friends or had real conversations with their parents they wouldn't go blow stuff up.
By Boondock Saint
I find anyone who blames violent games and music for real violence blind - blind to the failing system of the family.

Followed by ...

Maybe if kids went outside and chilled with friends or had real conversations with their parents they wouldn't go blow stuff up.

So you are saying that if kids went outside (ie- did not spend all their time inside playing video games) and were social (as opposed to sitting home along playing violent games like DOOM or GTA) and had actual conversations with their parents (as opposed to gattin gangstas on the PS2) then they wouldnt be sick in the head?

So which is it?

Does staying inside playing violent video games have a negative influence or not?

Because by your post it would seem you say 'both' ...

As is usually the case, you are wrong. Back in t[…]

I am not lying You purposefully ignore this, b[…]

@Rugoz Why does wanting America taken down a p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

litwin doesn't know this. What litwin knows is: […]