Wow we didnt know that Belgium was blown up. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
Belgium Destroyed by Rogue Asteroid!

The obscure nation of Belgium, often called "Europe's forgotten country," was virtually destroyed by the impact of an asteroid -- but incredibly, outsiders didn't notice for three weeks.

And even after they found out, newspapers and TV stations in the United States didn't bother to report it!

A concerned media critic is calling this the "most underreported story of 2003."

"I conducted an Internet search and I found only two references in the American media to the catastrophe in Belgium. Yet for the same time period I found more than 6,500 stories about Kobe Bryant," blasts media critic John Blancing of New York.

"We have to start getting our priorities straight as journalists. Belgium is a country of more than 10 million people, with a very rich history. To let its destruction go unreported is appalling and unforgivable."

The oversight has been blamed on a number of factors, among them the fact that the asteroid struck on September 12, when media attention was largely focused on the deaths of singer Johnny Cash and actor John Ritter.

There's also the sad reality that no one, either in the United States or the rest of Europe, is particularly interested in what happens in Belgium.

"Belgium hasn't made a major contribution to world history since the days of Flemish artists like Pieter Rubens in the 17th century," notes an expert.

"No American vacations there -- why would you, when there's London, Paris and Rome? To most outsiders, it's as if Belgium doesn't exist. And of course now it doesn't."

When astronomers first spotted the tiny, 460-square-foot "mini-asteroid," dubbed Appler 3710, late last year, it generated quite a stir, but interest died down after experts determined it would probably not hit Earth.

That turned out to be a big miscalculation, however.

"No one was keeping an eye on Appler 3710. Against all expectations, it landed in the heart of Europe," Blancing says.

The careening space rock spawned earthquakes across Belgium, which is about they size of Maryland, damaging concrete dikes and creating massive flooding in coastal areas. The death toll is believed to be at least 8,000, with millions more left homeless and hundreds of historical sites destroyed.

Extensive damage occurred in nine of the 10 provinces, with Antwerpen, Brabant and Wallon especially hard hit.

Fiercely proud, King Albert II has refused to allow Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt to reach out to fellow European nations for aid. And appealing to America for help was "out of the question," given Belgium's stubborn refusal to back Operation Iraqi Freedom earlier this year, Blancing notes.

In neighboring Luxembourg, which experienced minor quake damage, reports of the disaster in Belgium first began to surface in early October. But newspapers in France and Germany, which also border the tiny country, ignored rumors of a catastrophe.

"To put it bluntly, the Germans and French are concerned only with themselves," Blancing says.

It was only when the media critic happened to interview the Belgian ambassador to the U.N. that he himself learned what had happened.

"The ambassador didn't know about the asteroid until he phoned relatives back home," Blancing notes.

A trickle of reports on the deepimpact tragedy are finally beginning to crop up in the U.S., but it's too little, too late.

"CNN and FOX News should have been on top of this," the expert says, "but apparently Britney Spears' bare midriff or Eminem's latest antics are more important."

Source: http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/news/ind ... ceid=60195

:lol:
By TROI
Is this taking the piss out of Belgium not being a big player in world affairs or that the American media doesn't care about anything outside of Hollywood?

Anyway I like Belgium, the city of Brugge is amazingly beautiful and the Belgian people are a friendly and humble sort. Needless to say I would probably mourn the loss of Belgium more than if the squalid nation of the U$ was destroyed by an outer space anomaly :roll: .

Matt
By Cyrus
"Belgium hasn't made a major contribution to world history since the days of Flemish artists like Pieter Rubens in the 17th century," notes an expert.

How dare they I say! What about Adolphe Sax, René Magritte, Georges Lemaitre, Jacques Brel, Georges Simenon and Tintin?? Mmm ... these are the only ones I can come up with. And sadly enough our vicious silly kings.
Oh and fries were invented in Belgium, at least that's what we say, but then the French took all the honour. I demand rehabilitation! :p
By The American Lion
Cyrus wrote:

How dare they I say! What about Adolphe Sax, René Magritte, Georges Lemaitre, Jacques Brel, Georges Simenon and Tintin?? Mmm ... these are the only ones I can come up with. And sadly enough our vicious silly kings.
Oh and fries were invented in Belgium, at least that's what we say, but then the French took all the honour. I demand rehabilitation! :p

Cant! Belgium has been whiped out! :p
By Adrien
Oh and fries were invented in Belgium, at least that's what we say, but then the French took all the honour. I demand rehabilitation!

Eh, we never demanded anything about the fries, it's those bloody rednecks over there in America that aren't able to properly read a goddamn map!

:)
By Trotskito
Is King Leopold alright?

(what? It's been a while since I've seen Belgian news, alright...)
By TROI
His ancestors were real Bastards I can tell you that especially in the Congo.

Matt
By Truth-a-naut
Yeah, those crazy Belgians sure had their way with the congo, I have a book on it.

SO I KNOW!
By TROI
All hail the book owner
By naked_turk
How dare they I say! What about Adolphe Sax, René Magritte, Georges Lemaitre, Jacques Brel, Georges Simenon and Tintin??

Who!? :lol:

Just kidding man... I feel for you. No one cared when my country (Kyrplakistan) was destroyed either. WHAT!? What do you mean you don't know where's Kyrplakistan!?
By Nox
Goldstein wrote:Yeah, those crazy Belgians sure had their way with the congo, I have a book on it.

SO I KNOW!

Oh Yeah!

Well I rode in a taxi with a guy, who had a cousin, who had a neighbor, who had a third cousin four times removed, who knew someone, who had actually seen the person that wrote the book you are talking about.

SO YOU ONLY 'THINK' YOU KNOW ... I, HOWEVER, REALLY DO KNOW!

Nox
By Trotskito
The Role Of Ideology wrote:His ancestors were real Bastards I can tell you that especially in the Congo.

Matt

erm, we are talking about the same people not 'his ancestors' it was King Leopold that set up the Belgian empire in the Congo. I was making a joke about how seldom Belgian news reaches the world.
nevermind. :roll:
By TROI
alright ease on trot didn't mean any harm.
By Trotskito
All in good jest mon signieur.

@FiveofSwords wrote: More genuine anthropologi[…]

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]