Comic: NATO in Afghanistan - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
By spex
Hello,
I'd like to hear your opinions about this comic. I think the four sitting men stand for the four different stagesin Afghanistan (Germany, Italy, Canada, USA). Can you tell me why it is four times the same guy? Why is he / are they supposed to go? And what's the bag and the gun in the middle of the NATO-symbol.
Thank you very much.
Last edited by spex on 23 Nov 2007 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
By spex
Sorry that the picture didn't work. Here it is again. I hope it's better.
By Donna
At least they got it surrounded.
By theodd1out
They have got their backs to Afghanistan coz they expect to get a good kicking anytime soon.
By Thunderhawk
When the USA was attacked on 9/11, the USA invoked the NATO treaty for its allies to help out. This eventually lead to a war against the 9/11 terrorists, AlQueda and their protectors, the Taliban.

It is implied that occupation of Afghanistan is part of the call to arms. Various NATO countries however disagree with that as they view their NATO obligations to have been fulfilled by ousting the Taliban and making Afghanistan no longer a threat to the USA/NATO. They view rounding up the left over Taliban and AlQueda as an internal Afghani issue, a policing action, and therefore not part of the NATO mission in Afghanistan.

The truth however, is that the various countries called to arms by the NATO treaty have no interest in sending their soliders into Afghanistan. They are willing to send Aircraft, equipment, material goods, monetary aid, etc.. but not troops for occupation duty because the death of soldiers is politically unpalpable.

The picture is satire: Various members of NATO throughout the world (the people sitting at the points) refuse to send troops, and are saying others should go. Arms and equipment await them in Afghanistan (the centre) .
By spex
Thanks a lot for this great interpretation. It sounds so easy and obvious but I never would have managed to figure that out on my own.

@Rich The Dutchmen argue that Holland invente[…]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Jews? Are you insane? Tsars actively supported t[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]