April satire - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political and non-political satire; all those terribly biased analogies live here.
By Abood
Let's move on, shall we? This is a thread for satire.

Old, but relevant:

By Kapanda
Thunderhawk's 4th one down is my favourite at the moment.
By QatzelOk
:lol::lol::lol: wrote:No one wants to "repeal" the law of supply and demand.

Bush is trying to. By invading and destroying oil-producing Arab dictatorships, he can flood the supply temporarily, thus appearing to have changed the "law" of supply and demand.

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Freedom.

Freedom whoooo....

(passes out from interrogation techniques)

:lol:
By Adrien
By Dr House

That's not funny. :hmm:
By QatzelOk
Oh yes it is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By peter_co
By noemon
Well, i dont know if this qualifies as satire, cause i see cartoons are the norm, but i'll post it and do as you as please.

Just a bit of light hearted Hellaswood:

Karamanlis: Before you speak, American, know that in Sparta, everyone, even a President’s messenger, are held accountable for the words of his voice. Now, what message do you bring?

Daniel Fried: Skopje is “Macedonia”.

Karamanlis: [Pauses] You came all the way from America to tell me that paramyth ??? Who do you think I am ...Santa Claus ? (pointing at his own belly)

Bakoyanni: Do not be coy or stupid, Puppet Boy. You have NO idea of history.

Daniel Fried: What makes this woman think she can speak among men?

Karamanlis: Because only Greek women give birth to real men.

Daniel Fried: All the God-King Dubya requires is this: a simple acceptance that Skopje is “ Macedonia” A token of Greece’s submission to the will of the US.

Karamanlis: Submission...well that's a bit of a problem. See, rumor has it that the Skopjians have already turned down our reasonable proposal. And if those deluded sheep-herders have found that kind of nerve...

KKE: [interrupting] We must be diplomatic.

Karamanlis: ... And of course Hellas has her reputation to consider.

Daniel Fried: Choose your next words carefully, Karamanlis. They may be your last as Prime Minister
[Karamanlis turns and ponders the offer - looks at Dora, Karatzaferis - the last being Papandreou]

Karamanlis: [thinking] Skopje is “ Macedonia” ? What Bullshit is this ??

[He draws his tzatziki riddled Gyros and points it towards the US messenger, whose back is to a large pit of uncollected rubbish due to the strikes in Greece]

Daniel Fried: Madman! You're a madman...!

Karamanlis: Not a Madman a MACEDONIAN !! Skopjians are “Macedonians” ???... You'll find that sort of rubbish and bullshit like that in there (pointing to the trash)

Daniel Fried: No man -- Greek or Barbarian -- no man threatens a messenger!

Karamanlis: You bring these bullshit and threats of deluded Skopijan sheep herders to my city's steps. You insult Megas Alexandros !! You threaten my people with Bulgarians and Turks! Oh, I've chosen my words carefully, American. Perhaps you should have done the same!

Daniel Fried: This is blasphemy! This is madness!

Karamanlis: [He looks at Papandreou, who nods to him] Madness? THIS IS MACEDONIA !!! MACEDONIA IS HELLAS!
[kicks the screaming Americano messenger down into the two-week old pit of Athenian rubbish]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Andres
Well, i dont know if this qualifies as satire, cause i see cartoons are the norm, but i'll post it and do as you as please.
Not being a cartoon does not disqualify it as satire, the total lack of wit does.
By noemon
Well as i said, do as you please.

I reckon the dialogue is pretty funny. The lack of wit is whats most funny.
By peter_co
This is actually rather old, but I stumbled on it recently (while doing research for another PoFo discussion, :lol:) and I enjoyed reading it greatly. I think it's one of the best recent works of satire and it clearly took a lot of work. In 1996, Alan Sokal, a physicist published a paper entitled: "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity" in Social Text, an influential cultural studies journal about the social implications of the new theory of quantum gravity. The article was written in the style of contemporary scholarship in that area, and Sokal quoted some of the most prominent individuals in the field. However, the whole thing was a hoax and Sokal just wanted to show the silliness of incorporating complicated scientific and mathematical concepts into socio-critical theory. The full text can be found at:

http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/soka ... efile.html

For a taste, read the introduction:
There are many natural scientists, and especially physicists, who continue to reject the notion that the disciplines concerned with social and cultural criticism can have anything to contribute, except perhaps peripherally, to their research. Still less are they receptive to the idea that the very foundations of their worldview must be revised or rebuilt in the light of such criticism. Rather, they cling to the dogma imposed by the long post-Enlightenment hegemony over the Western intellectual outlook, which can be summarized briefly as follows: that there exists an external world, whose properties are independent of any individual human being and indeed of humanity as a whole; that these properties are encoded in ``eternal'' physical laws; and that human beings can obtain reliable, albeit imperfect and tentative, knowledge of these laws by hewing to the ``objective'' procedures and epistemological strictures prescribed by the (so-called) scientific method.

But deep conceptual shifts within twentieth-century science have undermined this Cartesian-Newtonian metaphysics1; revisionist studies in the history and philosophy of science have cast further doubt on its credibility2; and, most recently, feminist and poststructuralist critiques have demystified the substantive content of mainstream Western scientific practice, revealing the ideology of domination concealed behind the façade of ``objectivity''.3 It has thus become increasingly apparent that physical ``reality'', no less than social ``reality'', is at bottom a social and linguistic construct; that scientific ``knowledge", far from being objective, reflects and encodes the dominant ideologies and power relations of the culture that produced it; that the truth claims of science are inherently theory-laden and self-referential; and consequently, that the discourse of the scientific community, for all its undeniable value, cannot assert a privileged epistemological status with respect to counter-hegemonic narratives emanating from dissident or marginalized communities. These themes can be traced, despite some differences of emphasis, in Aronowitz's analysis of the cultural fabric that produced quantum mechanics4; in Ross' discussion of oppositional discourses in post-quantum science5; in Irigaray's and Hayles' exegeses of gender encoding in fluid mechanics6; and in Harding's comprehensive critique of the gender ideology underlying the natural sciences in general and physics in particular.7
By peter_co
By peter_co
By Kapanda
I like Arcis' cartoon. The worst thing is that is just the tip of the hypocrisy iceberg.
By peter_co
By peter_co

For those who apparently did not see this post pro[…]

A new film has been released destroying the offic[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]