What if? - Anachists collectively formed their own 'state' - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I don't totally agree with all libertarians, on some social issues. I do believe that we need some laws.

All libertarians believe we need laws. Most libertarians believe a minimal government should set and enforce those laws. On these forums, many libertarians (self included) are anarchists, who believe in non-centrally-enforced law. Law without government, as it were.

You even state that you think an army would be necessary as well as diplomacy. This seems impossible without leadership and a hierarchy.

The key attributes of the state as such are (1) monopolization of the legitimised use of force, and (2) initiation of force (aggression) as an essential component in its functioning.

You can have laws, police, even army and diplomacy without government, as part of a distributed and voluntary system.

I imagine that all anarchist would have to be strongly individualistic.

That depends on the sense of "individualistic". Anarchism (at least in its property-respecting variety) requires respect for individuals as individuals. However, it is silent as to the values, priorities or choices of those individuals. Individuals in an anarchy can choose to dedicate their lives to their families, community or humanity.

We need to choose men of better moral character to represent us.

Please don't fall into the rhetoric trap of referring to politicians as "representatives". When I hire a lawyer, he represents me. I can fire him at will. He cannot, at the same time, represent my adversaries. He is my agent, and beholden to me personally.

Politicians do not represent us. They rule us.
Market anarchists / voluntaryists / anarcho-capitalists do not object to authority as such. We only object to authority involuntarily imposed. More precisely, we object to authority imposed through a violation of a person's property rights or, equivalently, authority imposed through the initiation of force (or threat thereof) against a person's body or his (peaceful) projects.

People may, and often do, choose to subject themselves to authority for many good reasons.

I am reminded of a story of Chinese labourers who worked together pulling rafts on a river. The problem they faced was that some members of the team were slacking off. So the team (not any boss), paid for the services of a task-master who would identify and whip slackers.

The workers found it in their own interest to subject themselves to authority.

I believe, though I am not sure, the story is right. However, it certainly makes sense. There are a lot of circumstances under which it makes perfect sense for people to choose and subject themselves to (temporary and/or conditional) authority.
ReactionaryRichard wrote:I am a huge advocate for personal liberty. I don't totally agree with all libertarians, on some social issues. I do believe that we need some laws. This is the part of anarchism that I can't grasp. Can we have laws without violent enforcement? It seems that if you are an anarchist, proposing a state of any kind is directly opposed to your ideals. I mean how will an anarchist "state" govern anyone without coercion in some form. You even state that you think an army would be necessary as well as diplomacy. This seems impossible without leadership and a hierarchy. The closest thing that I can imagine being anarchist would be at a family level, where trust and interdependency would be natural, but even at the family level there is a hierarchy. I don't think humans can function without this collectivist ideal. I imagine that all anarchist would have to be strongly individualistic. The republican ideal is the only true hope left for liberty, anarchist should help us rid our republic of the corruption. We need to choose men of better moral character to represent us. These politicians don't go to Washington out of a sense of civic duty, they go to Washington for money and power. I think we can all agree that power corrupts. We need smaller governments at local levels that can be held accountable. Any federal bureaucracy and standing army is a slippery slope. Government is like a hungry beast that needs to continue to grow and feed itself, especially at the federal level.

A hypothetical series of questions:

The philosophical question that will hopefully be asked by more and more people as time goes on is ... do humans have an inalienable right to live free from coercion? If so, what does "coercion" mean in this context? Can a system that limits choices, thereby forcing humans to live under undesirable circumstances, be fairly considered coercive? If so, and if we view the right (of at least sane adults) to live free from coercion as "inalienable" ... and we follow this idea to its logical conclusion, then only a society where decision making is made through consensus, can be considered a "just" society. Under a scheme of parliamentary governance, decision making is invariably consequentialist. In other words, we balance the interests, adversarialism becomes a necessity, we sacrifice "a few trees" for the sake of the woods. In a consensus based society, the dichotomy of minority/majority becomes redundant. No one is sacrificed for the sake of anyone else, and in every decision, we solicit and address the concerns of all who will be affected by the decision. So, is the concept of "liberty" overdue for a new and more enlightened definition?

Anarchism does not imply chaos or lack of organization. Moreover, there is a split among anarchists (one that really hasn't been a serious impediment to cooperation among different schools of anarchism, but only because anarchism hasn't been taken seriously for a very long time, but I expect this issue will need to be addressed in a serious way at some point in time). The split is precisely over the issue you're highlighting here. Can a society survive (in a reasonable way) without laws? For those of us who share an affinity for anarchist philosophy, and who have studied anarchist philosophy, we have to admit, anarchist philosophy has never addressed the law and order problem in a comprehensive way (beyond addressing garden variety "Hobbesian" concerns with sort of emotive platitudes, postulating an almost mystical view of human nature ... that doesn't seem to correspond with reality very well).

The only philosopher who tried to tackle this issue in a thorough way, was (in my view at least) Peter Kropotkin. As a biologist (who specialized in zoology) he looked at the bad aspects of human nature, as postulated by Hobbes (and others), from the perspective of animal behavior. However, Kropotkin was writing in the late 19th century, and his theories are long overdue for updating (with new research, based on all the information regarding human and animal nature, science has accumulated since the late 19th century).

The real crux of the theoretical problem is the idea that self defense cannot be delegated to a third party. Individualist anarchists would say that only the individual enjoys a right of self defense (and thus only the individual may respond to threats against his physical safety with defensive measures, or take retribution for acts of violence against his person, or his family). The social anarchist would say the community (as a social unit) has a valid interest in defending its members, and thus, self-defense and corrective measures (to deal with antisocial behavior) is a right enjoyed by the community as a whole. However, both of these approaches to anarchism generally rejects the idea that self-defense can be delegated to a third party (like police departments, courts, etc.).

As someone who considers himself a social anarchist (anarchist with a small "a" ... maybe a minarchist), I acknowledge this as a serious pitfall in anarchist philosophy. However, I also believe that the "self defense" function can be delegated to a third party, as long as it's done consistent with the ideas of horizontal organization and consensus based decision making.

If a police department was structured as say a nonprofit (or conceivably a public agency under a participatory democracy framework), it's members unionized (so they had a voice in how their jobs are structured), but a police department which acted consistently with the consensus based decisions made by the community as a whole, then I wouldn't personally have a problem with the idea. It is true that some forms of coercion would remain, but only as against those who would seek to coerce others through their conduct (and if we view the principal of non-coercion in a way that prevents us from restricting coercive conduct, it becomes an absurdity).

Moreover, laws should serve as minimal guidelines for human conduct, but all too often, they wind up becoming the maximum standard; and as long as we can find a loophole to provide us with the indicia that we're acting under color of law, we pat ourselves on the back, justify our conduct, even where it's morally wrong. This is the negative consequence of a society based on an elaborate codification of what right conduct entails. Thus, in an anarchist society, we would want to guide our thinking using values (versus rigid laws governing conduct), and "law enforcement" would (in theory) become the rare exception, not the norm. I suppose another valid question would be, is a highly intellectual society a necessary prerequisite that must precede a society organized around anarchist principles? I personally believe this is a non-issue. I endorse gradualism (not an abrupt shift to a radically different social structure, which I believe would cause a serious degradation of living standards, which could take generations to reverse). If this sort of change is implemented gradually, at each discrete step, society will have a chance to absorb and acclimate to change. We don't commit ourselves in irreversible ways, we experiment (and through a gradual trail & error process, we figure out what works, what doesn't, and proceed accordingly). The key is resetting our trajectory, so we begin moving in this direction.
ReactionaryRichard wrote:What about the ideas of leadership and an hierarchy in the anarchist state? I thought most anarchist are directly opposed to authority.

My take is that every man is king of himself (or queen of herself) and no other. Such a king has the prerogative to voluntarily and temporarily choose to follow the leadership of another. The result is fluid, flexible and flat hierarchies that serve the interests of the participants.
truth_seeker wrote:Can a system that limits choices, thereby forcing humans to live under undesirable circumstances, be fairly considered coercive?

We have to start answering your question with the realisation that the physical universe, by its very nature, forces humans to live with a limited set of choices, and under undesirable circumstances. This is humanity's starting point, and the yardstick against social structures must be measured. That, rather than a utopia of milk and honey, or a Garden of Eden.

To be able to survive, let alone thrive, people must be able to engage in a variety of projects, from short-term (pick a fruit from a wild tree and eat it) to long-term ones (plant fruit trees that will take decades to fully mature). The essence of political ethics is the respect that people owe each other. Prohibition on coercion, if it is to be meaningful, has to mean the prohibition against physically interfering with another person's peaceful projects.

The goal of social norms cannot be a complete removal of want, nor the necessity to live under undesirable circumstances or a set of limited options. All of those, as mentioned above, are constraints imposed by the physical universe. Rather, social norms should start with mutual respect realised through the Non Aggression Principle. Beyond that, people are welcome, nay encouraged, to aim their projects, at least in part, towards aiding each other. But the degree and means via which one seeks to aim one's projects towards assistance to others is itself part of that person's protected autonomy.

Provided people stick with peaceful projects - projects that do not impose themselves on others' similarly peaceful projects - they may, as taxizen correctly pointed out, choose to temporarily and conditionally place themselves under other people's authority.

Most libertarians (even most anarchist-libertarians, myself included) believe that human will or self-ownership is inalienable. That means that, as far as practical, people are allowed to change their minds regarding impositions are commitments they voluntarily undertook. But only self-ownership, not ownership over external objects, is inalienable.

Thus a moral employment system must allow an employee at any point and for any reason to quit. Consequently, at any moment, every employee always faces an option to quit rather than obey his manager's orders. Such a system isn't really coercive. Rather, the employee is continuously choosing the benefits of ongoing employment over the price (obedience to his employer's commands).

If an employee chooses to quit, he isn't generally worse off than he would have been had the employer not chosen to offer him employment to begin with. I say "generally" because clearly an employee who quits frequently may well acquire reputation for unreliability which will make his chances of securing further employment justifiably lower.

What holds with respect to employee-employer relations holds, mutatis mutandis, with respect to other relations such as landlord-tennant.
I've been thinking a bit about where our anarchy might be sited and I think the western sahara offers a good spot.
- Very sparse population - means lots of vacant land.
- Very poor natural resources - means little incentive for serious conquest from other states
- Up for grabs - Morocco claims it but no other states recognise that claim and nobody else wants it.
- Earnings are extremely low for the few people there and in Morocco which claims it - easy to buy off opposition, any economic benefits we bring to area will easy overwhelm opposition, opposition will not be well funded.

With a bit of technology and work the geographic disadvantages can be nullified or even turned to advantages. Desert equatorial climate means lots of sunlight for solar power. Lots of sand means cheap glass, use the glass to enclose closed loop aquaponics for fish and veg production to preserve water. Solar powered desalination plants to get water from sea.

I have some more ideas too.
Indeed. I have been following them for a few years now, and have been impressed with the progress made on both Engineering and non-Engineering issues.

My main concern was over the risk of a military action against such a project, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much thought was given to the question.

With advancing technology, I think it is only a matter of time before the project becomes economically-viable. In addition to not being currently claimed by any nation, the high-seas present the advantage of allowing the transportation of relatively-massive structures. It is thus conceivable that a person could move her home from one community to another, thus enabling effective competition between different models of governance.
Here is outline of how a project to create a viable sovereign anarchy on the coast of the Western Sahara (or similar location) could proceed.

Phase 1 - Recruitment / organisation
Find and organise 10,000+ individuals to volunteer to pioneer the project. Not as hard as it sounds. It could be done in collaboration with existing anarchist and libertarian organisations such as IOPS, IWW, Occupy..
Phase 2 - Obtain a cargo ship to carry supplies and pioneers to the proposed location.

Phase 3 - Build first settlement using the cargo ship as a base until settlement developed enough for habitation.

Phase 4 - Expand settlement as required and develop defensive capability. Build up economic activity - tourism, tax free banks, manufactories etc.

Phase 5 - Obtain recognition as a sovereign 'state' from the UN. Continue development.
Eran wrote:Do you envision operating under an agreement with Morocco? Or do you expect to be ignored until such time as the settlement can physically resist Moroccan attempts to subdue it?

Excellent question but before I answer I will lay out a bit more of the political background.

Morocco isn't the only claimant to the territory, there is a local pro-independance movement too called the Polisaro. Morocco and the Polisaro are basically at war with each other over who gets to be king of the desert. Morocco is trying to colonise the territory by bribing their own citizens to move there. It is a huge cost to the government purse and probably unsustainable. You might think this makes the prospect of peaceful existence there all the more unlikely but actually this is an opportunity in disguise. Now realistically we can't make any agreements with the Moroccans because that would make us enemies of the Polisaro likewise we can't make any agreements with the Polisaro because that would make us enemies of the Moroccans. So the best thing is just go ahead and stay neutral but hint to each that when they have achieved legitimate claim to the territory we can make some deal. Each will leave us alone because each will think we will be a potential cashcow once the other is seen off. To the extent that we are not claiming the whole territory but just a small patch we are neither sides enemy no. 1.

The real risk won't appear until one of the sides emerges triumphant in which case we will have to re-evaluate the situation.
The One. wrote:Man if you're gonna take people from occupy to man the trenches you guys gonna get owned so hard its not gonna be funny. :lol:

8)
heh you are right us westerners are a bunch of pussies in the main. Whereas the people of the desert are pretty much as tough as they come. Some anarchist minded people are ex-military though so it may not be a total lost cause. Anyway I hope we can get some people from outside the couch potato west including some of the locals.
Why go to the sahara or the sea? This is a fantasy but what if we try this:

We all move to the same town in a democratic country which offers relatively large independence to local communities (for example Switzerland). Then we form a libertarian party and get ourselves elected with absolute majority. We then start adopting local libertarian legislation within the framework of the nation. At this point, we only adopt legislation that we are legally allowed to adopt. Once this happens and it still isn't a total disaster, we can try to become more and more independent from the nationstate and try to seccede. This may be a long process but I believe using referenda to ask for independence can really put some pressure on the nationstate.
Yes it does sound like the free state project type approach. I support that approach, its worth a try, but I prefer starting with clean slate. To do that you really need to start with somewhere undeveloped and unclaimed or if not unclaimed, weakly claimed. Seasteading is starting with something unclaimed but of course lacks actual terra firma so is perhaps overly capital intensive and precarious. What is great about the western sahara is that it is about as close to unclaimed as any land is anywhere outside of the polar regions. The fact that it is very poor in natural resources is good too. That needn't mean any settlement would be poor though as there is much more to wealth than natural resources. Dubai? Contrary to what you might expect Dubai has literally no natural resources at all (unless you count sand) not even oil.. Neighbouring emirates like Abu Dhabi have oil but Dubai hasn't got a drop. Japan has pretty poor natural resources too but is or was the second biggest economy in the world.
I fully support Libertarians going off to the desert where they will almost certainly be killed by the locals. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh and don't the chaps who live there have any say when the almighty market comes knocking at their door?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Moscow expansion drives former so called Warsaw (i[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will do[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]