My ideology? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Kosmonaut
Hello, I am a new member here and partially why I joined was to figure out where I am ideologically. I believe I am somewhere around liberalism (not necessarily what Americans think of as liberalism), but just making sure.

Here are some of my beliefs. You're free to ask more of my opinions, but this is what I could come up with by myself.
- Abortion should be legal for everybody.
- Same sex marriage should be allowed.
- Equal rights for every race, gender and sexuality.
- Fair and free elections are something that every nation should strive for.
- Death sentence is not okay under any cirmustances, nor is torture.
- Drugs, such as marijuana, should be legal for medical and recreational use.
- Multi-party system to keep the cogs running so that progress doesn't get stuck between only few parties.
- High standards of public education and healthcare for everyone, but make even higher standards available for those, who can pay.
- Capitalism is the best economical ideology we have, but it requires some regulations and control from the government, because corporations or any profit motivated entity can't be trusted to control themselves.
- We have to take care of environment, while still using its resources. Healthy environment to live in is every person's right. Global warming is a realistic threat.
- Secularism to cut all the ties between religion and the government. Everybody should be allowed to practice their own religion and religious symbols, such as hijab, should be allowed to wear in public.
- Advocacy for peace and cosmopolitianism. We all are of the same species, and I wish there was no need for borders, but this is my "if I got to decide, it would be like this". Unfortunately, it isn't possible.
Last edited by Kosmonaut on 04 May 2013 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
By fuser
Well it was easy, You are a "liberal", liberal capitalist.

Consider marxism.
By emmitt
Classical neoliberalism.
You might be a proponent of ordoliberalism.
By Kosmonaut
Thought so, but had to make sure. I am welcoming all the ideologies though. I am not a man of one cause, but I like to have some proof that my cause is actually functional, so far this is what I have managed to gather.
By Kosmonaut
Social_Critic wrote:Kosmonaut is my clone. He escaped the clone farm and gained access to a computer.....sorry, it won't happen again.

Hello, father. Escaping your facility wasn't easy, but definitely worth it.
By SpaciousBox
Hi Kos, Welcome!

Some great points there, and certainly much I agree with. You and I are probably very close in terms of ideology, though I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on methodology. For example, take your support for reducing climate change and/or the acceptance that business interests are not always people interests: If a company were to say break those standards, how would you react? What government systems would you have in place to ensure your result reached? There are many groups in this world who claim to believe very similar lines of thought to what you have posted, but then their true colours/beliefs are often shown when they fail to stand up for those values once challenged. I am drifting leftwards due to this reality, and would be interested to hear if you are too. How far do you feel is acceptable to go in defence of your Liberalism?
By Kosmonaut
I am a social liberal to the core and that cannot be questioned. My economical liberalism isn't as pure as it could be, because I can't simply trust in companies, since they've shown how they are under no control.

I believe there should be certain set of standards, that protect the environment, for the companies, for example standards on releasing pollution into the nature. If these standards were not followed, it would result in a fine or some other sort of penalty, obviously depending on the seriousness of the violations.

Economically, I believe a government should set certain rules, and the companies should play by them. By giving companies too much space to play by themselves, we will end up stepping on people's private rights, which I believe to be most sacred. "Freer the market, freer the people" doesn't always work, and modern times are a proof of that.
The rules I mentioned earlier would include environmental protection standards, prevention of monopolies and cartels through some regulation and close inspection of the companies, and control of some possibly dangerous products, such as cigarettes, guns, alcohol etc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2xXMrwU[…]

I define my terms very clearly and very simply. S[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Yes. It's an adaptation to socially-constructed c[…]

Corruption ain't domination, and history ain't th[…]