Discussion Wanted on a Society Design - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hi. I've been self-studying societies, political science, economics and game theory for the past couple of years and designed a society. I've got the outline mostly all written. There are a couple of areas I still need to work on, such as education, health & media. Because of that, some people may think that requesting a discussion on it at this point is premature. However, I've been living abroad for the past 9 years and the isolation is finally starting to bear down on me. So if you're interested in political projects, and I hope some of you are, then please read my paper. You can download a pdf of its current form here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QSFen9n1WEWlNyYXJjYnpjNUU/edit?usp=sharing.

For now, I've been calling it a "Meritocratic Democracy". The reason requires knowing a bit of history on the design. What started my interests in social design was learning about technocracy while looking for a solution to technological unemployment. Once I came to grips with the fact that every technocratic design was either delusional, half-baked or totalitarian, I decided to make an original design. When I first started out studying social structures, I started with the Roman Catholic Church. I'm a materialist but since they've been around a few thousand years, I figured it would be a good place to start learning. Next I moved on to feudalism, then the Roman Empire and eventually the Magna Carta and the resulting commonwealth. From there I learned the modern Republic structure with its districts and problems of gerrymandering as well as the reasoning behind unicameral vs bicameral congresses. Somewhere during the time I spent studying all of these things I learned about the different organizational structures of various churches. Eventually, I relearned America's democratic republic structure and the history of America's development. I studied movements, wars and the history of societies. I also spent a lot of time studying economics. So where does the name Meritocratic Democracy come from? I started out studying meritocracies and moved on to democracies. I've been designing and redesigning the system from the very beginning, changing it as I learned. My first design had a congress with legislative districts that were organized in a way that each district was represented by a president who was chosen the same way the pope is chosen in the Roman Catholic Church. I called it a Meritocratic Democracy. That was my first social design, but I kept evolving the design as I learned. Now it is probably unrecognizably different than the original. Still, I've kept the name just to use as a placeholder until the final product is finished. Then, maybe I could call it Open Source Democracy but that name seems to have already been taken. So has the name Meritocratic Democracy from what I've found with a recent Google search.

There are still a couple of issues I want to iron out. For instance, I like the potential safety against extremism that a Republic theoretically could offer, but I'm worried about gerrymandering and people's movements. Also, I want a minimum voting age but I also recognize that new societies may need to be more inclusive to attract early adopters. Anyways, if society structure interests you please read my paper as it is right now and let me know your thoughts. If you're interested in open source sustainability through profit incentive, it might interest you to know that I've given the patent and copyright system a ton of thought and touched on a solution.
Hi,
I have not read through your entire proposal, but rather focused on your first slide, "Justification for Government". Unfortunately, even this early on, you fall victim to a common myth, namely that government is the only way to secure people's rights to peacefully use existing resources while minimising conflicts and disputes associated with the use of scarce resources.

it is quite obvious that without order to maintain peace, the resulting anarchy would make human life far less enjoyable, thus it is better to have some form of order than none. However, life is far more fulfilling when society members are free to form rules and procedures collaboratively without being restricted by the whims and personal opinions of a monarch or a group of unelected individuals who cannot represent any interests other than their own.

Yes, it is quite obvious that rules are required for maintaining the peace. And yes, rules formed by the whims and personal opinions of a monarch, a group of unelected officials or a group of elected officials tend to be restrictive and represent the interests of those making up the rules.

Having some rules upon (virtually) all members of society can agree is the precursor rather than the outcome of government. Without the vast majority of Americans agreeing that the US Supreme Court has final authority over Constitutional interpretation, the American government couldn't function. An agreement over the political supremacy of the Constitution preceded the formation of the American government.

Once we realise that societies often achieve (near) unanimity over rules (or meta-rules, i.e. rules for forming and adjudicating rules), we can proceed to free ourselves from the myth that government is instrumental or even conducive to having a peaceful, rule-bound society.
Eran wrote:I have not read through your entire proposal, but rather focused on your first slide, "Justification for Government".

To be quite frank, I never expected an anarchist to read past that first section. It's fine though. I'm actually quite happy that you read through even that far and replied. Thank you for giving a "statist" like me the light of day.

Eran wrote:Yes, it is quite obvious that rules are required for maintaining the peace. And yes, rules formed by the whims and personal opinions of a monarch, a group of unelected officials or a group of elected officials tend to be restrictive and represent the interests of those making up the rules.

That was quite clever of you to point out how a group of elected officials have the same drawbacks as unelected officials, but I feel you're being a bit disingenuous here since the statement ignores that elected officials hold their positions of power temporarily, giving society members opportunities for change, while unelected officials in a monarchy or oligarchy have a lower turnover rate, giving society members fewer to no opportunities for change. But, as I said, I'm sure you know this already and were just looking for an opportunity to poke me in the ribs. Have you read the rest of the paper? I'm still interested in what you have to say about the other sections.

Eran wrote:Having some rules upon (virtually) all members of society can agree is the precursor rather than the outcome of government.

I think at best, you could possibly argue that point in a beginning government with a small number of participants. Otherwise, I have to disagree. In the section titled "Enlightened Self-Interest", I explain that we can never have 100% agreement. This is why agreements are the outcome of government, not the precursor. (see my next post for an amendment to this reply.)

Eran wrote:Without the vast majority of Americans agreeing that the US Supreme Court has final authority over Constitutional interpretation, the American government couldn't function.

I don't think it is necessary for the majority of Americans, let alone the mass majority, to agree that the US Supreme Court has final authority over anything, and that includes the constitution, for a democracy to exist in general. Individuals only have as much power as they hold individually and no common American has the kind of power to stand up against the US Supreme Court. That requires collective power. Individuals must become a collective to change laws and that requires forming a new government with its own congress. The only other option an individual could have is to emigrate, because there is no way to get around that fact.

Eran wrote:An agreement over the political supremacy of the Constitution preceded the formation of the American government.

Fifty-five men attended most of the meetings, there were never more than forty-six present at any one time, and ultimately only thirty-nine delegates actually signed the Constitution. http://www.constitutionfacts.com/us-con ... he-signers

Eran wrote:Once we realise that societies often achieve (near) unanimity over rules (or meta-rules, i.e. rules for forming and adjudicating rules), we can proceed to free ourselves from the myth that government is instrumental or even conducive to having a peaceful, rule-bound society.

By societies, I think you mean the people in the society. There are very few unanimous agreements because we are individuals. No one can agree with everyone.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. This is at least a start.
Last edited by clintonsam75 on 24 Jun 2014 04:46, edited 4 times in total.
I thought of a better response and I think I can meet you half way.

Eran wrote:Having some rules upon (virtually) all members of society can agree is the precursor rather than the outcome of government. ... societies often achieve (near) unanimity over rules (or meta-rules, i.e. rules for forming and adjudicating rules)

To form a government, virtually all of its founding members need to agree upon the meta-rules. That is true and thanks to this conversation, I am now aware of the fact that I need to update the section titled "The Founding Members" to specifically state that. Thank you for helping me improve this project.

But as far as the entire society needing to pre-agree on all rules, that is obviously preposterous. I'll give you some wiggle room here by suggesting that perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant.

Society as a whole also needs to agree on the meta-rules and the majority of laws but they must do so through the government because we can't do so individually and all come to a conclusion, thus it is necessary for a government to already exist. Through the government, society members can form and change both meta-rules and laws. But to become a member of society, one does not need to first agree with its laws or even its meta-rules if the incentive for joining the society is strong enough to improve an individual's circumstances.

Note, because there hadn't been any new posts since my initial reply, I felt it would be okay to edit that reply for clarity, so you may notice some subtle changes.
While I admire the effort, as with all great designs built from top to bottom I find this one unrealistic and ignorant of human nature. Basically you resort to the same argument as anarchists: it will work because it will work. Your assumption is that everyone values the society's benefits above his own personal desires so it will work because everyone wants it to work and because everyone is super happy about the democratic consensus and will want to defend it. It will work because even those whose views are not the majority's ones will accept the consensus against their ideas because this is the rule and everyone is happy with that. But it will not work. Power has always been and will always be a balance of forces. And you will always have people unhappy about the current state and dissent, even in a perfect democracy (whatever it can means). This why people will not be happy with the unique party and such.

As for bitcoin, you neglected the major problems:
* Bitcoin's proponents claim that it is guaranteed by the power of mathematics. This is a blatant lie, the mathematical proofs are much more restrictive than that. The sad fact is that cryptographic algorithms' lifespans are below twenty years in practice, after which they usually become obsolete. Not much because of the improvement in computation power, but rather because of the discoveries of new mathematical weaknesses. They will tell you that it does not matter, that they have migration plans to other algorithms, but their migration plans involve a rollback. Do you want to have a choice between a roll back of all transactions that occurred in the past year, or between the acceptance of trillion-dollars thievery? This looks like a severe systemic risk imo, the kind that can create major crises.

* Bitcoin is not anonymous, bitcoin is pseudonymous and all transactions are publicly stored in plain sight. Everything you do with your wallet is known by all. If someone wants to know everything that wallet #649 did, he can just look at the network. And in a connected world matching data from different sources is a piece of cake so associating thie wallet ID with other identifying bits will be pretty easy. Soon every business you visit or the company that pays you would be able to know every details of your life. Transparency and surveillance make the soft tyranny that is pervading all of our countries: a tyranny where you do get every entertainment you may desire, say anything you want, as long as the oligarchy can watch everything you do and you strictly obey its rules.

* Computers' security is and always have been a joke and bitcoin is highly vulnerable, far more than credit cards. If tomorrow everyone starts using his smartphone or any other day-to-day computer for uncontrolled bitcoin payments, you will have massive and systematic thievery. This does not happen with credit cards although there are many credit card numbers available for free on the web, because they cannot be widely used. Because banks today do not rely on computers alone for security: they first and foremost rely on a trust network with certifications, rules, 48h delays, etc. If someone abuses your credit card, the bank can get your money back and the mule is debited! They really get the money back, it is usually not paid back by the insurance (although sometimes the insurance gives you money before it is retrieved). But bitcoin does not have those safety nets and plenty of 15-years old kids can write malwares that will steal all of your savings in a blink.

Public computers are unreliable and plagued with security holes. Accept it and avoid e-voting and other sensitive and vulnerable applications. And I tell you this as a programmer.

Miscellaneous:
* If I understood you correctly (I find the document hard to read given my English skills and the format is inconvenient - I have the choice between tiny characters or 50cm long lines with a blurry text), you remunerate people for their hobbies. But who will judge that?! Will you remunerate people for their video games scores? With our labor?

* You want people to pay for a 1/Nth million share of a choice to be made every five years? Either very few people would bother, either it would be so cheap that it would cost more to the society than it would benefit from it.

* Why do you want to create a public crowdsourced lending institution when efficient private alternatives already exist?

* A competition-driven education system can only work if you have a reliable evaluation system. So how are you going to rate teachers? By their pupils' marks' evolution on standardized tests? But are those standardized tests everything there is to education? Is education limited to marks in the first place? And doesn't the fact to have periodic national standardized evaluations defeat the whole idea to give teachers more freedom and power in their educative choices? How can a teacher be free if he is first and foremost pressured to make sure that his pupils get good marks on the next trimester's standardized test whose program is officially decided in the capital, therefore practically deciding the next three months' agenda?
Harmattan wrote:I admire the effort

Thank you for appreciating the effort. It seems that you realize that to put even this much work in required a lot of thought. There are so many things to consider, especially human nature which is why I found your next statement shocking.

Harmattan wrote:as with all great designs built from top to bottom I find this one unrealistic and ignorant of human nature.

My design uses financial incentives just like all successful societies. You went into this with preconceived assumptions. All societies are designed around financial incentive, just like mine is. For example, both the Constitution of America and the Constitution of the People's Republic of China have both been designed from top to bottom, are both realistic and not at all ignorant of human nature. After all, both frameworks have successfully brought together both capital and labor and kept them together. They are both hugely successful countries with economic power so great that they attract immigrants to their society with little to no regard to their political & economic systems. All those immigrants care about is that living in those countries provide them with better opportunities than they have in their home countries. I don't even have to limit myself to only those two countries as an example. There are many countries like that. Saudi Arabia, Australia, even your country of France. My system attracts new members through economic growth. What is this thing about being ignorant of human nature?

Basically you resort to the same argument as anarchists: it will work because it will work.

My design takes human nature directly into account and I spell out each motivational incentive for every individual step by step. You're going to have to give me specific examples of where you see this type of thinking in my writing. I doubt you can, but if you can then please point it out.

Your assumption is that everyone values the society's benefits above his own personal desires

I think you're looking at this design through a filter created by someone else's ideas. Where do I say that? Nowhere, right? In actuality, I state that people are only interested in their own personal desires and thus since individuals are motivated only by their own interests that each individual's interests must be appealed to. I go on to say that the only way to appeal to everyone's interests is by using currency. You make me wonder if you actually read the whole thing or if you just skimmed it.

so it will work because everyone wants it to work and because everyone is super happy about the democratic consensus and will want to defend it.

Absolutely not. It will work because there is financial incentive for both its governors and its members. Please, actually read it. Don't just skim it and comment on the titles. From your comments below it actually looks like you read part of certain sections, and I thank you for that, but I think you didn't really "read" it. Am I right? Be honest.

It will work because even those whose views are not the majority's ones will accept the consensus against their ideas because this is the rule and everyone is happy with that.

That is absolute nonsense and I do not say that. I say that people who lose a vote or lose an election have financial incentive to continue working through the framework rather than leaving the society and that with annual elections there are more frequent opportunities to "try again." That doesn't mean everyone who loses a political tussle will stay with the society, only that there is financial reward for staying and continuing to support the system. But, I see where you stopped reading and started jumping ahead. I really need to expand all the sections. Right now, I just touch the surface on each topic without going into full detail. The reason is because I just wanted to get the whole concept out of my head and onto paper. One of my ideas was to go back later and rewrite the whole thing, perhaps create whole chapters (or several chapters) out of each paragraph. But even then people probably wouldn't read it because it's about government in general. That's why another idea I have is to go back and rewrite it around a cause. For instance, target the open source movement or the freethinkers movement or both. But the problem with the open source movement is that it's mostly made up of anarchists and libertarians with lumpenproletariats as their cheerleaders. Lumpenproletariats and their anarchist cousins can be organized but not without immediate capital incentive. They are not investment minded because they are not educated forward thinkers. Libertarians aren't too far distant from anarchists and if they were the founding members then they'd remove social support from the agenda and probably even throw out education all together. The way forward through the open source channel is to appeal to educated, investment minded, socialist leaning open source supporters. I think this subgroup of the open source community is really thin but I could be wrong. Maybe it's much thicker. As to the freethought community, the patent system is not on the agenda. So even if I were to suggest this structure as a society club with property investments and restrict voting rights to protect the atheist culture, getting them to adopt an open source patent system too and put a social support system in place may or may not appeal to them. These will definitely be divisive issues. There are a lot of Libertarians in the freethought movement these days. We aren't all leftists anymore. Penn Jillette comes to mind as I write this.

Anyways, it may seem that I have digressed but I do have a point to all this. The point is, not everyone is going to like it nor want to be a member. Plus there is a large segment of the world I don't want to be a member either. At least not in its early stages. Fortunately, I don't have to change the framework to appeal to them because I don't want them anyway. This means, they will weed themselves out. They will want nothing to do with this society. That's a good thing because it keeps them out of the politics. As the society grows, in both population and economic activity, it becomes more appealing to a more diverse range of people. For instance, the Jeonse Mortgage System allows members to set up business and live in homes rent free. That's a huge incentive to join the society and membership is free. The founding members profit immensely through development for which they were able to be a part of because they were around to collect currency from the very beginning. This is actually the economic system South Korea uses today and has been using since after the Korean war to develop its country. As a result of this mortgage system, Korea's development has exploded. Of course, these days Jeonse mortgages are slowly being phased out as interest rates have dropped and property owners can now profit more with monthly rent, but during the development period, Jeonse mortgages were the most profitable path for property owners.

The result is that now Korea has a huge number of immigrants migrating to the country. Whether or not they have voting rights is irrelevant to whether or not they are members of Korean society. Since they live and work in Korea, they are members of Korean society. The mass majority of immigrants living in Korea do not care that they cannot vote because they do not care about Korean politics so long as their lives are better in Korea than in their home countries. My design embraces this phenomenon and in fact designs for it. Just as America gives its legal immigrants a path toward citizenship, so does my design by incorporating Voter Registration which I will talk more about later in response to your comments about it below.

you will always have people unhappy about the current state and dissent, even in a perfect democracy (whatever it can means). This why people will not be happy with the unique party and such.

You're right and that is why my design is a competing design. It is a society designed to compete with other societies over resources. Not everyone will want to be a part of this society, but they must be a part of some society. My design gives people a choice by putting non-exclusive immigration policy into its framework (constitution, meta-rules, what have you).

I hope my response has clarified things and I hope you will give my paper a more thorough read. :-)

As for bitcoin, you neglected the major problems:
* Bitcoin's proponents claim that it is guaranteed by the power of mathematics. This is a blatant lie, the mathematical proofs are much more restrictive than that. The sad fact is that cryptographic algorithms' lifespans are below twenty years in practice, after which they usually become obsolete. Not much because of the improvement in computation power, but rather because of the discoveries of new mathematical weaknesses. They will tell you that it does not matter, that they have migration plans to other algorithms, but their migration plans involve a rollback. Do you want to have a choice between a roll back of all transactions that occurred in the past year, or between the acceptance of trillion-dollars thievery? This looks like a severe systemic risk imo, the kind that can create major crises.

You are absolutely right. To be quite honest actually, I don't like Bitcoin. I just thought it would be helpful to refer to the currency as a Bitcoin like currency since that is a word people are familiar with. I thought I would get more attention by using a buzzword like Bitcoin. The fact is, I want to make huge changes to it. For instance, I want the blockchain to be centrally stored, not distributed across a network where it is vulnerable to a 51% attack, price manipulation, etc. I want people to be able to get their coins back if their hard drive crashes. I still want people to be able to "mine" coins. That part of the digital currency concept, I absolutely love. It is this ability that lays the very foundation of economic theory, imo. I don't like the proof of stake (PoS) methodology because the interest rates are completely arbitrary and it restricts adoption since fewer people can participate at the currency's earliest and most crucial phase.

Bitcoin is not anonymous, bitcoin is pseudonymous

You're right. Bitcoin is not anonymous and the currency I propose in my design wouldn't be anonymous either. I specifically state that accounts would have to be registered. It's the only way the progressive transaction tax could be enforced.

and all transactions are publicly stored in plain sight. Everything you do with your wallet is known by all. If someone wants to know everything that wallet #649 did, he can just look at the network. And in a connected world matching data from different sources is a piece of cake so associating thie wallet ID with other identifying bits will be pretty easy. Soon every business you visit or the company that pays you would be able to know every details of your life.

I actually like this feature since it holds the economic system accountable. For example, since the currency is digital how do we know there really are only as many coins in existence as claimed? Without incentive, nobody is really going to audit the blockchain. Still, Individuals might put resources toward auditing parts of it that pertain to them or someone else. For instance, an employer who wants to verify how his or her funds are being spent and by whom. Of course that is a double edged sword. A jealous lover might put resources toward auditing parts of his or her lover's transactions too and a judgmental analysis (correct or wrong) could wind up motivating that person to kill the other. That's a big problem. The only solution that I have given thought to is offline transactions such as cash to protect people's privacy. A person's account might be public, but they could withdraw their coins as cash minted by the society. The problem then is possible counterfeit but that problem is a manageable one.

Transparency and surveillance make the soft tyranny that is pervading all of our countries: a tyranny where you do get every entertainment you may desire, say anything you want, as long as the oligarchy can watch everything you do and you strictly obey its rules.

People should obey the rules of society, but not necessarily rules made by self-appointed oligarchs. If a society is democratic and its voting members are educated then certain crimes may not need to be enforced so strictly. I say if its voting members are educated, but right away I sense you will say the majority of people are not adequately educated and that I am hoping for something that doesn't exist. And if you were to say that, of course I agree with you. But when education is built into the system so strongly that there is no avoiding it then this will become less and less of a problem over generations. Plus, since elections take place annually, society's voting members can help speed along the process of changing its legislation, thus reducing the need for protests.

Computers' security is and always have been a joke and bitcoin is highly vulnerable, far more than credit cards. If tomorrow everyone starts using his smartphone or any other day-to-day computer for uncontrolled bitcoin payments, you will have massive and systematic thievery. This does not happen with credit cards although there are many credit card numbers available for free on the web, because they cannot be widely used. Because banks today do not rely on computers alone for security: they first and foremost rely on a trust network with certifications, rules, 48h delays, etc. If someone abuses your credit card, the bank can get your money back and the mule is debited! They really get the money back, it is usually not paid back by the insurance (although sometimes the insurance gives you money before it is retrieved). But bitcoin does not have those safety nets and plenty of 15-years old kids can write malwares that will steal all of your savings in a blink.

Agreed. Bitcoin is a terrible currency which is why I stated several changes need to be made. I think all the reasons you've said here as to exactly why Bitcoin needs to be changed should go into my paper so that people see why the society uses its own digital currency rather than Bitcoin itself.

Public computers are unreliable and plagued with security holes. Accept it and avoid e-voting and other sensitive and vulnerable applications. And I tell you this as a programmer.

As you pointed out, banking has fewer problems because of their security. And even then online banking in places like America is extremely risky. However, in a place like South Korea, where banks require several security browser plug-ins just to look at your account balance, and where they require you to enter a different password that needs to be looked up on a card that they give you whenever you make an online purchase, they have managed to make sensitive applications secure even on vulnerable home computers which may be plagued with malware, keyboard loggers, etc. If their software detects it, you're not going to be able to make a transaction or even log into your account using that computer until you get your computer fixed. So if e-commerce can be made secure then so can e-voting.

(I find the document hard to read given my English skills and the format is inconvenient - I have the choice between tiny characters or 50cm long lines with a blurry text)

I'm very sorry about that. No wonder you skimmed it. I do appreciate that you at least read through as much as you did and I'm really thankful for your comments. The format is the way it is because, in an earlier version, I had a chart on the progressive transaction tax and it would only fit if I oriented the paper as a landscape. I eventually took the chart out but didn't change the document's orientation back to portrait. I suppose I need to change the orientation back and increase the fonts. I also need to rewrite the entire thing so that it isn't dry. A lot of the sections are just notes, especially the sections toward the end and the section titled "The Digital Currency." I've been working on this for so long, on and off, I'm getting kind of tired of working on it. I just wanted to put this out there and get some feedback on it before I decided to continue working on it or to just shelve it.

If I understood you correctly you remunerate people for their hobbies. But who will judge that?! Will you remunerate people for their video games scores? With our labor?

Huh?

No, no. People get remunerated for their work. So for instance, a person with a passion for making food could choose to work in a school cafeteria to earn labor credits toward purchasing a voter registration or a person whose competent interests are in digital electronics and mechanical engineering could be hired by a ministry to work on a commissioned project if a professional couldn't be afforded. As to who will judge their worth, it depends on whether the person was earning labor credits (useful only for purchasing voter registrations and thus approved by a ministry to do a job he selected from a list of available options) or is hired by a ministry to work in the bureaucracy or a commissioned project. If earning labor credits then the worker determines his or her own value for work performed beyond what was needed to procure his/her own voter registration since those extra voter registrations can only be transferred through an exchange and the worker sets his or her own price. If the worker is hired to work on a commissioned project then he or she is a contractor and the project commission had contractors submit bids along with their proposals.

You want people to pay for a 1/Nth million share of a choice to be made every five years?

For a choice to be made every year, not every 5. They only have to register once every 5 years. And actually, as a registered voter they'd be able to participate in the entire election process which spans the course of a year. (see "The Candidate Selection and Election Process of Congress Members" and "The Political System") Plus, they'd be qualified to run for election any time during the 5 year period as well. Membership is free but the right to vote requires a minimum amount of participation. I was thinking of an average of 1 hour a month, so a 5 year term equates to 60 hours of labor contributed for each individual for every 5 years. Again, only if they want the right to vote or run for election. I believe that is a reasonable requirement since you don't want people changing things after all the contributions you've made without them making contributions of their own.

Either very few people would bother, either it would be so cheap that it would cost more to the society than it would benefit from it.

Correction. Either very few people would bother or it would be so cheap that individuals won't want to do the extra work so that someone else can purchase one.

Exactly, and that is the point. Only the founders would be interested initially and that's how it needs to be. If the price is too cheap then people won't put in the extra work. That means the only other way to become a member is to put in the minimum amount of work. If they aren't willing to do that then they don't need the right to vote. If they will not become a member without receiving the right to vote then the system served its purpose and has functioned exactly as designed.

Why do you want to create a public crowdsourced lending institution when efficient private alternatives already exist?

Because the society has its own currency and it needs to be able to enforce contracts. Creating a lending exchange provides investors with credit rating information about borrowers and gives borrowers a marketplace to secure loans at a competitive rate, all within the legal framework of the society's own laws.

A competition-driven education system can only work if you have a reliable evaluation system. So how are you going to rate teachers? By their pupils' marks' evolution on standardized tests?

By their students' academic performance as compared to other students.

But are those standardized tests everything there is to education? Is education limited to marks in the first place?

The purpose of performance analysis is to have proof that students are learning and to reward those students who learn more material than other students. Competition is the environment necessary for students to have an incentive to learn as much as they can as quickly as they can. Students do not need to be limited to only being compared by grade level or age. Students can also be compared by looking at the number of accreditations received within a time period.

Anyway, this is only for students in the Social Support and Sustainable Entitlements program. Regular students are not penalized for poorer performance.

And doesn't the fact to have periodic national standardized evaluations defeat the whole idea to give teachers more freedom and power in their educative choices? How can a teacher be free if he is first and foremost pressured to make sure that his pupils get good marks on the next trimester's standardized test whose program is officially decided in the capital, therefore practically deciding the next three months' agenda?

My charter school system is different. Instead of governments choosing schools to fund based on student test scores, students and their parents choose their own schools. Anyone can start a school. They will most likely have to charge tuition to fund their school since the government will not fund a new school. Students will still be tested and told their scores and where they place as compared to other students, but their schools won't be defunded as a result of test scores. Instead students will be offered scholarships, student loans and business loans based on their academic performance. It is up to the students which schools to attend. Private schools become funded once their enrollment numbers reaches a minimum threshold and their funding gets pulled if enrollment drops below a lower minimum threshold. This way schools must compete on both grades and student and parent satisfaction. Schools must reach different thresholds of sustained enrollment for different amounts of funding. At a certain threshold it must be required that schools do not charge their students tuition in order to receive government funding.

Now, I can't accuse you of not reading or merely skimming my paper for the section on education. All I have there right now are some quick notes. That's all. What I just told you is not written yet.

Thank you so much for reading my paper and I completely understand you for not reading it carefully the first time, and just going in with preconceived assumptions because there really are a lot of half baked, ideological designs floating around out there. But, this isn't one of those utopian projects and does not, in any way, expect its members to put the "potential benefits" of the society above their own interests. It invests collective contribution so that a portion of its members can use those developments for personal gain at a cost to them that is lower than all other options.

Still, I also greatly appreciate your comments. At least a discussion is slowly being started and perhaps my reply to your post will aid in putting aside other people's preconceived opinions and interest them in reading my paper. Also, I hope you will read my paper again or at least see it in a new light now that I've given my response. I welcome your second reply.
I've given your criticism a lot more thought over the past few days and one part of what you said does actually ring true.

Harmattan wrote:You want people to pay for [voting rights]? ... very few people would bother

That is in fact the point and I designed it that way for sustainability. The society will only grow as fast as it can support new members and since people choose whether or not to be a member based on what's in it for them they won't choose to be a member until there is something in it for them. But, you're right about how very few people would bother. I myself pointed out that I want to target a certain type of people to be the society's founding members. But there still may not be enough people and the profitability of membership for the founding members would be a long, long way off. I need a profit incentive from the very get go. That's the missing link.

So I started thinking and remembered a tactic that I had included in one of my older designs and it's a tactic that was used to help fund building the Great Wall of China. That's a lottery. [*]

The Lottery
[*]Write the currency so that every time 25 coins are rewarded to a miner, 1 coin goes to the government's tax fund. (26 coins created per mined block).
[*]A portion of the tax fund is used to seed a lottery for a land purchase fund. The entry fee to win the coins is set to 1 coin per entry and the lottery is held monthly. Half the entry fee goes toward the lottery jackpot and the other half goes to the land purchase fund.

Now here's the profit incentive for playing the lottery with the society's "made up currency." Any member can mine coins plus any member can setup a currency exchange service. Members know that the coins will be used in the future to bid on land (section "Constructing Value" of my paper) which will give the currency more value, but the immediate financial reward for the miners and currency exchange service providers is in exchanging the society's digital currency to and from local currency. The exchange rate is entirely up to the exchange service provider. So for instance, a person in the Philippines might sell 1 digital coin for 1 Philippine peso and buy 1 digital coin for 50 centavos (half a peso). Another person in America might sell 1 digital coin for 1 US dollar and buy 1 digital coin for 50 cents (half a dollar). Someone else in South Korea might sell 1 digital coin for 1,000 won and buy 1 digital coin for 500 won. And this goes on and on around the world. The winner receives their winnings from the jackpot fund in digital currency. The winner will then want to cash out. The exchanges around the world were able to sell coins for cash and if no one wins the lottery in their region then they would not feel any pressure from their local community to buy back coins that were lost in the lottery. That's instant profit for the currency exchange service providers. The local community for the service providers in the location of the lottery winner will feel pressure to buy back those coins, but even if the provider loses money from the win, they earn money from the next series of lotteries as winners are distributed world wide. Also, as money exchangers, they can choose how many coins per day they're willing to trade and can thus limit payouts to daily, weekly, or monthly installments, all the while continuing to earn money from further currency exchanges in their community. It will just be a matter of the currency exchangers promoting the lottery and earning the trust of their communities by buying back coins ("cashing out winners"). Of course, even if a winner really wanted to cash out their winnings right away they could find another exchanger or become an exchanger his or her self. As the jackpot gets bigger and bigger, each local service provider adjusts their buy/sell bids. Later on, prices around the world begin to normalize across exchanges as people take advantage of price differences between exchangers.

So that is the initial incentive to bring people together. Those people who want campaign and voting rights will have to get a voter registration. That means putting in 60 hours of work for a 5 year validation period, or pay someone else to do it. Also, bidding in government auctions (such as for acquiring land) and receiving government loans can be restricted to only those members with a valid voter registration.

The lottery is managed using tax funds collected from the transaction tax that is automatically paid to the government with each transaction. The government can get cash in a local currency to pay government expenses and to buy land by auctioning the coins, which now have value to currency exchange providers.
I need to apologize because I once wrote a long answer but because of a technical mistake it disappeared. Since then I never found the strength to write it again, so here is a shortened version.

My initial critic was poorly formulated, it mostly stemmed from your idea that parties would be unneeded, therefore validating your unique party idea. I think you misunderstand the roles of parties:
* Ensuring a majority. Even with specialized chambers, a majority is still needed. Parties could be specialized too, but they would still be needed. Parties allow narrower consensuses to dominate politics rather than having to submit to the national consensus.
* Political campaigns. I understand that you want to severely restrain them. Yet, you will not prohibit more or less independent citizens to set up independent discussions and reunions. You will not prohibit politicians to efficiently organized public reunions, etc. Etc. Campaign logistics will always be there and it will still be heavy. Note that France also has severe restrictions over what is allowed in political campaigns (one TV ad per party, all broadcast at the same time on the same channels) and has public funding. It works well, yet parties are still mandatory for local actions and for the heavy logistics (answering the thousands of daily phone calls, hiring professional communication advisors, devising a national route, etc).
* Branding. Many times people do not know the candidate, and this would be even more true with so many representatives. Therefore they will vote for a brand: the party.

Btw I like the thematic chamber approaches, this looks like my own vision of what we could do provided we had secure e-voting (which unfortunately involves the discard of anonymity and secrecy - but I think we will come to even if I do not like it):
* The base idea is your typical representative democracy.
* Representatives are not elected, they're selected: the number of seats is not limited and a representative gets as much weight as the number of people who selected him. They can be selected, replaced and dismissed anytime.
* Besides your general representative you can optionally select thematic representatives (one specific representative for IT,etc).
* On any vote you can bypass your representative and vote directly.

Misc:
* Exporting to PDF proved to provide much better conditions so I suggest you add a link to the PDF. I think Google Docs and Google Chrome are meant for each other.

* If you're looking for better ways to convey your ideas, forget the bible approach where you write a whole vision that you will disagree with in six months. Use thematic and concise blog entries instead: "a democracy built over thematic chambers", "conditioning the voting right to civil service", etc. If you're afraid to lose consistency, add a big bold red header at the top of the page stating that all of this takes place in a larger project and provide an url to a hierarchic list of entries. Last but not least, a wordpress blog is favorably ranked by Google.

* Computer security does not exist, period. Banks are good at making you trust them, not at creating security over insecure platforms. They detect frequent and old threats, and make things a little more difficult, that's all. The gap is so wide before we can get real secure computing that we will need decades before just the foundations are all there (even if some already exist). This will not be built over Windows, Linux or C/C++, those are unredeemable insecure platforms and languages. Seriously, do not trust anything over computers unless everything is totally transparent: this is what bitcoin does, by making all transactions public. Do not trust algorithms and computers, trust transparency and old school authorities such as banks. Or keep your old paper processes: they're proven to be reliable as all anomalies never reach more than a small extent, since humans end up smelling and fixing those anomalies. Finally security is one thing but trust is another : even if you had secure computers, who tell you they're secure? Do not depend on experts to tell you what is secure.

* A doctor saving lives in a private hospital is not worth less than a doctor saving lives in a public hospital. Both serves the community equally well (and, in my country, many public physicians earn as much as private physicians). Just as when I develop softwares for medical equipment I do serve the community. I do not see why your average civil agent would be more worthwhile in the eye of the community, nor why I should join the garbage collection team to earn my voting rights (and, no, I would not be used to develop public softwares since software development, like many intellectual tasks, is not something so simple that you can jump on a team, work for one hour and deliver a quality work - you would request more supervision than what you would bring in such a short timespan). In the end I only see your idea as a "forced" humiliating civil service that creates an aristocracy among civil agents while many of them really have no special merit. Actually the opposite is often true as civil jobs also attract lazy people or people unmotivated by their work. In the end I think that only civil agents will vote, creating or strengthening a caste.

* In the end your self-interests will only be able to align with a few pre-defined and quite bothersome civil services then? Is it even worth mentioning them anyway, isn't it just hypocrite? I do not think that you can make it work realistically.

* Money can't be forged today because banks' transactions are already transparent and controlled in compensation chambers. You cannot fraud your bank and create money, and your bank cannot fraud other banks and institutions and create money. However anyone can makes the market changes its appreciation of one's assets' value, whatever the monetary system.

* Your charter school ideas remind me of our French system for private schools; they're equally funded with public schools as long as they teach the official program and hire teachers with the same certification levels. The good point is that private schools are almost free. Unfortunately private schools are not better than public schools, they just select the best students and offer a religious education to those who desire it (almost all private schools are religious schools since the public school is agnostic). This lack of imagination and inventiveness may be because of the aforementioned conditions but I think that it is still a disappointing outcome.

* I understand that you want no central power. But you still need one to decide who should be in charge of every topic (if the environment ministry creates industrial norms, the industry is also concerned, you need someone to defend this fact and arbitrate between both ministries), and you still need a central authority when you're at war. Besides at some points you need coordination between independent entities, self-coordination just does not work. I do not think you can have something as big as a national administration work without a center, at least for arbitrations. Finally democracy works better when you have accountable figures, and this is not possible if you have zillions of anonymous faces.
Harmattan wrote:I need to apologize because I once wrote a long answer but because of a technical mistake it disappeared. Since then I never found the strength to write it again, so here is a shortened version.

I understand. Those kinds of things drain my energy too. This post here took me a few days to write. Imagine if I had lost it to some technical error. Oh, the agony.

My initial critic was poorly formulated, it mostly stemmed from your idea that parties would be unneeded, therefore validating your unique party idea. I think you misunderstand the roles of parties:

Perhaps I over sold the system when I pointed out how financial incentive holds the party together. I did not go into details, which would point out that the system isn't immune to party splintering, only that it is resistant to it. As I was writing, I was pretty sure almost nobody would ever read it, that this was mostly a paper written for myself, so therefore I didn't want to waste time putting in lots of details, explanations, comparisons and what-ifs. I only wanted to touch the surface on each topic in order to complete the framework as soon as possible. My thoughts were that once I had the whole thing laid out that I would rewrite it around a cause and put in all those details then so that it would be in context to the issues of that cause. But, I am open to the possibility that I don't know everything there is to know about parties. Let's discuss it.

[Parties are needed to] ensur[e] a majority. Even with specialized chambers, a majority is still needed.

A majority for what? To pass a law? I don't think you're intending this to mean the way I'm interpreting it, but if it is then you're basically condoning forming a party around a policy or bill and using party whips to basically force party members to vote for the party's policies. I'm sure you know that parties aren't needed for a majority decision to be made on an issue. When a bill can't reach a majority, then the bill must fail. I'm sure we're in agreement here.

Parties allow narrower consensuses to dominate politics rather than having to submit to the national consensus.

Well, I don't want a group of religious zealots who have a narrower consensus to dominate politics and subjugate the secular national consensus. I am counting on the idea that the national consensus is secular because the voting system that I implement pits candidates running on a religious platform against each other. Without even having to take into consideration the diversity of Christian denominations and Muslim sects which pit them against each other, I can show how tyranny by both the minority and the majority can be avoided. In the candidate selection process Muslims will vote up Muslims while voting down Christians and Christians will vote up Christians while voting down Muslims. Neither will make it past the first few phases of the candidate selection process because the up/down voting system neutralizes extremism, which will allow the more secular moderates to rise. Sure, both Muslims and Christians will vote down atheists like myself if we run our campaigns on our merits of being atheists, but there's no need to run an atheist campaign. Of course, it helps if the founders are all atheists, but simply running a secular campaign with no mention of religion at all is sure to appeal to the moderates' diverse range of religious beliefs. Furthermore, the education system ensures there will be an ever increasing number of educated secularists year after year who will become a super majority and will vote down people running on religious campaigns so that they will never make it past the candidate selection process. It's a total win for logic and reason without having to restrict voting rights, and it's a win for moderates who do not want extremist minorities to have political control ever.

Political campaigns. I understand that you want to severely restrain them. Yet, you will not prohibit more or less independent citizens to set up independent discussions and reunions. You will not prohibit politicians to efficiently organized public reunions, etc. Campaign logistics will always be there and it will still be heavy.

That's true. I wouldn't support any laws that prohibit people from peacefully assembling. Fortunately, because of the voting process used in my design, minority groups cannot get their candidates elected if the majority of their views don't fit the society. The only way they could be successful is to convince enough moderates to vote for them, and if they are able to do that then they will have successfully moved the boundary of what is considered extreme or on the fringe. That's perfectly fine. The political battleground for fringe groups starts in the education arena. Let individuals decide for themselves if what they hear in uncensored debate has merit or is pure rubbish. Reason will reign supreme in an educated society without censorship.

Note that France also has severe restrictions over what is allowed in political campaigns (one TV ad per party, all broadcast at the same time on the same channels) and has public funding. It works well, yet parties are still mandatory for local actions and for the heavy logistics (answering the thousands of daily phone calls, hiring professional communication advisors, devising a national route, etc).

Okay, I admit that I forgot to think about the funding necessary for answering phone calls, hiring speech writers, scheduling appearances, etc. The government can provide certain services such as site hosting, hard drive space for storing videos, webcasting software, etc, but when it comes to things like hiring a staff to handle phone calls, produce videos, etc., I think France has a pretty good solution. A public campaign fund must be made available to candidates at some point in the candidate selection process with increased funding at each stage. Plus, with the government providing a campaign budget, more people will be attracted to the society and its politics. What do you think about this?

Candidate Selection & Election Process of Congress Members
Each year Congress approves the budget for campaign financing. Campaign fund recipients can choose how to spend their own funds and can pay themselves a salary. Candidates must obtain voter registration prior to registering as a candidate. The election process remains the same with the exception of a public campaign fund.
Stage 1 January - March: Support services provided only (ie. web hosting, technical support, etc.) Bottom 30% of stage 1 candidates will be eliminated.
Stage 2 April - June: 20% of campaign fund equally distributed to all stage 2 candidates. All but the top 10% of stage 2 candidates will be eliminated.
Stage 3 July - September: 16% of campaign fund equally distributed to all stage 3 candidates. All candidates eliminated except for those in the top bracket which make up 10 times the number of seats up for election.
Stage 4 October - November: 24% of campaign fund equally distributed to remaining candidates. All candidates eliminated except for those in the top bracket which make up 5 times the number of seats up for election; these shall be the ballot candidates.
Election December: 40% of campaign fund equally distributed to ballot candidates.

Obviously these figures are completely arbitrary but I think it outlines the idea well enough. I followed the payout structure of an on-line poker tournament. I also just followed the exact same stage levels outlined in my paper in the section titled "Candidate Selection & Election Process of Congress Members." However, I think that the earlier elimination rounds should be shorter and a little more frequent in order to give people more time to get to know the ballot candidates. Therefore, I think it's probably better to have a stage level that looks more like this:

Suggested Change
Stage 1 January: 0% (support services provided only.)
Stage 2 February - March: 8% of funds
Stage 3 April - May: 12% of funds
Stage 4 June - July: 16% of funds
Stage 5 August - September 24% of funds
Stage 6 (election campaign period for ballot candidates) October - December: 40%

But, again, these are just arbitrary figures. I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Branding. Many times people do not know the candidate, and this would be even more true with so many representatives. Therefore they will vote for a brand: the party.

You're right. So, my design does not necessarily eliminate the party system. Multiple parties could definitely work within this model. That rhetoric needs to be taken out of my paper. Still, I already considered that voters don't know the candidates which is what lead me to designing the candidate selection process the way it is in the first place. People don't know the candidates and the problem is much worse when representatives span across the globe. This is why Internet voting is necessary, because without Internet voting this framework just wouldn't be practical. I know you dislike Internet voting, but I don't see any other way to make a global thematic solution work without turning it into a republic. Adding a republic aspect would weaken thematic representation, leading to a loss of intellectualism and rationality. A republic would mean that even though some regions would have more qualified candidates than other regions, the republic system would force that only 1 candidate of each region be selected to represent the national field of candidates. This gives candidates in regions with fewer intellectuals less competition than they deserve and the nation as a whole would suffer by having fewer intellectuals to choose from to represent the nation in Congress.

Btw I like the thematic chamber approaches

Thank you. I don't think I ever heard the term thematic before, but it sounds good. Also, I suppose it does describe the congress's districting.

this looks like my own vision of what we could do provided we had secure e-voting (which unfortunately involves the discard of anonymity and secrecy

I don't agree e-voting discards anonymity and secrecy any more than paper voting does. Furthermore, we can't remove anonymity from voting for candidates and representatives, because, without anonymity, people can be subjugated to vote for candidates they otherwise wouldn't vote for. If elections are secret then would be tyrants don't have the ability to verify if the people they are trying to subjugate voted the way they want or not. So, as you are obviously already aware, we cannot remove this essential defence against tyrants. What do you say we meet half-way? Instead of throwing out e-voting altogether, let's say voting cannot be accessible from a private computer. Otherwise parents, church leaders, care providers and other people in a position of authority could demand that people log into their accounts and vote in front of them plus check their accounts to see who they have supported or repressed with those like/unlike buttons.

So what do you think of this? To make e-voting work, voting must be restricted to dedicated machines located in secure, private, local places. Voting booths could be a series of private cubicles each equipped with a voting machine and a chair so that registered voters can spend their time browsing the candidates. A voter can only log into their account with one of these machines but can use any machine located anywhere in the world, at any time and as often as they like. The machines must be placed under guard to ensure voting remains private. Also, to police the guards, cameras and microphones are to be installed in voting areas (not in the booths themselves though) and either a live feed or recordings from the cameras and microphones shall be made available to the appropriate ministry.

but I think we will come to even if I do not like it):

I think if you're willing to be flexible that you, myself and others can come up with an ever increasing number of solutions to make e-voting more secure and fault tolerant.

my own vision [of a thematic democracy]
* The base idea is your typical representative democracy.
* Representatives are not elected, they're selected: the number of seats is not limited and a representative gets as much weight as the number of people who selected him. They can be selected, replaced and dismissed anytime.
* Besides your general representative you can optionally select thematic representatives (one specific representative for IT,etc).
* On any vote you can bypass your representative and vote directly.

No offense, but that looks like anarchy. For starters, there doesn't seem to be any coordination or accountability. It's nothing at all like my system. But, I do like your use of the word thematic. I did a Google search for thematic democracy and thematic society and see that they are popular terms, but this site makes the concept of a thematic government look like anarchic gibberish. Thematic could be used to describe the congressional districts of my design, but the workings of the political system of my design is nothing at all like the anarchic political process you outlined for me. I think your idea and my idea are similar as far as congressional districts (what you call chambers) even though they differ in categories (but that alone also makes the two ideas exceedingly different), but our political processes are vastly different. Therefore, I don't think it is fair nor accurate to compare your system to mine. That system you outlined really is unrealistic, imo.

* Exporting to PDF proved to provide much better conditions so I suggest you add a link to the PDF. I think Google Docs and Google Chrome are meant for each other.

I did link to the pdf. I wrote the paper using LibreOffice and exported it to pdf. Then I uploaded the pdf to Google Drive and pasted the link Google gave me to share the document. The download icon is a picture of an arrow pointing down at a horizontal line and it's located at the top of the document window right above the paper. On my screen, it doesn't show up unless I move my mouse around. Perhaps Google Drive isn't the best way to share documents.

If you're looking for better ways to convey your ideas, forget the bible approach where you write a whole vision that you will disagree with in six months. Use thematic and concise blog entries instead: "a democracy built over thematic chambers", "conditioning the voting right to civil service", etc. If you're afraid to lose consistency, add a big bold red header at the top of the page stating that all of this takes place in a larger project and provide an url to a hierarchic list of entries. Last but not least, a wordpress blog is favorably ranked by Google.

That's a good idea, but to do that the project needs a new name. I suppose "Thematic Democracy Society" or "Democratic Thematocracy Society" could work but there are 2 problems with those names. First, thematocracy is phonetically similar to thanatocracy. Second, it seems that the concept of a thematic government has been correlated with anarchist idealism which means non-anarchists will not read my work since they expect it to be full of anarchic concepts like direct democracy for which I am against. My paper might be read by anarchists (though not all the way through), but those are not the personality types I want to reach out to. What I'm left with is nobody will listen to my ideas. What to do? It needs a better name, first of all, and it needs to be rewritten. Still, your suggestion to put each section in its own blog, each with a link to the pdf, is more than practical. It is likely essential.

Or keep your old paper processes: they're proven to be reliable as all anomalies never reach more than a small extent, since humans end up smelling and fixing those anomalies.

If someone logged into their e-voting account and saw that their choices have all changed, then I think that would be a pretty big indication that there's a problem. With paper ballots, there is no way to even see your votes, much less change them. Besides, e-votes can be verified without giving up anonymity just as long as the process is transparent.

Finally security is one thing but trust is another : even if you had secure computers, who tell you they're secure? Do not depend on experts to tell you what is secure.

Can you collect the ballet boxes and count the votes yourself? How do you trust the people who count the ballots? Who tells you it's secure? Should I not trust the politicians who tell me my paper votes are secure, counted and that they matter? See, paper votes have the same issues.

A doctor saving lives in a private hospital is not worth less than a doctor saving lives in a public hospital. Both serves the community equally well (and, in my country, many public physicians earn as much as private physicians). Just as when I develop softwares for medical equipment I do serve the community. I do not see why your average civil agent would be more worthwhile in the eye of the community, nor why I should join the garbage collection team to earn my voting rights

You wouldn't have to join any team you didn't want to and a private doctor isn't worth any less than a public doctor. Perhaps you don't remember the section of my paper titled "Voter Registration" where I say that members can choose whether to contribute labor to the society's civil service or to pay another member to do the work by purchasing a registration from him or her through the Voter Registration Exchange. You see, if one refuses to work, they can still obtain voter registration by buying one. But, nobody will be willing to do the work so that you can buy one if you aren't willing to pay a high enough price to motivate them to do that work. You then only have 3 options, choose not to receive voting rights (and even not to be a member at all if membership is not beneficial to you), perform the 60 hours of civil service required to obtain registration through labor, or increase the amount of money you're willing to pay for a voter registration. If voter registrations are being sold at a price equal to that which a garbage collector earns in 60 hours, then just pay that price. You do not have to do the work yourself. If on the other hand, the price is so high you cannot afford it and having campaign and voting rights is important to you, then pick a civil service job and do the work. If garbage collection is beneath you then pick a software development job for which you are qualified.

(and, no, I would not be used to develop public softwares since software development, like many intellectual tasks, is not something so simple that you can jump on a team, work for one hour and deliver a quality work - you would request more supervision than what you would bring in such a short timespan).

The requirement is 60 hours, not 1 hour. The cost of voter registration comes out to 60 hours total which is derived from 1 hour a month for 5 years, but that does not mean that a person actually works 1 hour a month for 5 years before they can earn a voter registration. Instead, they must perform a total of 60 hours of work (or pay someone else to). There probably won't even be any 1 hour a day civil service jobs available since time is needed for even preparing to do work including garbage collection. Also, there must be a period for training and learning the rules set by the management for a chosen project. A job may require a worker to follow a scheduled shift, complete a minimum amount of work, and obtain a minimum quality before releasing the worker's labor credits. The details will be listed with each job description. Finally, even a garbage collector would have to be hired by that project's manager. If someone wanted to do garbage collecting but couldn't get hired by any of the garbage collection managers then he or she would need to pick another job (or pay someone else to).

In the end I only see your idea as a "forced" humiliating civil service that creates an aristocracy among civil agents while many of them really have no special merit. Actually the opposite is often true as civil jobs also attract lazy people or people unmotivated by their work. In the end I think that only civil agents will vote, creating or strengthening a caste.

Maybe you could say that if people were required to work in civil service to obtain voter registration, but since civil service is voluntary and voter registration can be purchased then you've just made a straw man argument. It is a voter's duty only to support the civil service. How one supports the civil service is an independent decision for each voter.

Your charter school ideas remind me of our French system for private schools; they're equally funded with public schools as long as they teach the official program and hire teachers with the same certification levels. The good point is that private schools are almost free. Unfortunately private schools are not better than public schools

Unfortunately?! Seriously? Wow! I can't believe my ears. I would say the system works very well. Maybe my system is similar to France and maybe it isn't. I don't know how France's education system works. From the way you describe it, it sounds great. Maybe I should take a look at it. However, public funding of a religious institution must be banned outright no matter what services it provides. Also under my system, schools are not required to hire teachers with any kind of certification but teachers can still compete for teaching jobs based on their certifications. To encourage that subjects are taught according to state "regulations", the state tests students using the same tests for all students. The questions can be randomized for each test but the context is fixed for each subject. Those students who score the highest receive scholarships, grants and higher consideration for government jobs. The same goes for those students who receive the highest number of accreditations within a time period.

This system would be built into the constitution so that the only way to change it would be through congress. This is why the group of founding members is the society's most important component next to the society's framework. People with anarchist views will not want to join, will refuse to support the civil service, and thus will be unable to change things. Profit collected from taxation is spread out to the society's members through the political system by means of publicly funded campaigns which makes joining the society more attractive to lower income moderates seeking to earn extra income while also remaining unattractive to anarchists who will refuse to support the civil service. Eventually, the society grows so large that even the anarchists will have to choose to either join the society and benefit from the social support system they so desperately need or to live in isolation.

This lack of imagination and inventiveness may be because of the aforementioned conditions but I think that it is still a disappointing outcome.

Do French people truly lack imagination?

I understand that you want no central power.

WHAT?!! Where do I say that? The Congress is the central power.

But you still need one to decide who should be in charge of every topic

That's the chairman. (section of my paper titled "The Candidate Selection and Election Process of Congress Members", 2nd sentence of the last paragraph).

you need someone to defend this fact and arbitrate between both ministries)

You mean between the Board of Ministries and the Congress. Read the section of my paper titled "The Political System". Last paragraph of the 2nd page. That's the Judicial High Court. Its members are appointed for life with a new member elected by Congress every 4 years. The founding members who ratify the society's constitution will need to agree on the initial number of high court judges.

and you still need a central authority when you're at war.

The Congress is the central authority and rules through the ministries, so a Ministry of War can be created. To prevent a single person from having supreme authority over the military (thus holding power to carry out a coup), Congress can elect several Ministers of War who each preside over a unique chamber of the Ministry of War. But now we're getting into the details of exactly which ministries will exist and how those ministries operate on an administrative level.

By the way, these are the details I want to discuss.

Besides at some points you need coordination between independent entities, self-coordination just does not work.I do not think you can have something as big as a national administration work without a center, at least for arbitrations.

Self-coordination? There is no such thing at all in my paper. The chairman chairs Congress. The Ministers are elected by Congress. The Judicial High Court mediates disputes. Where is the self-coordination?

Finally democracy works better when you have accountable figures, and this is not possible if you have zillions of anonymous faces.

Anonymous faces? Do you mean the members? To become a member, one must register. Registration would require fingerprints and photographs. One could not just click sign-up on a website. They would have to visit a local chapter. If a local chapter didn't exist in their area then they'd have to physically go to a local chapter somewhere else to sign up. Needless to say, in the very beginning this society (if ever created) would start out local. But a profit incentive can be made for setting up chapters in other locals. I would be very happy to discuss ideas for this too.
* You can prove through game's theory that the overall voting outcomes are more satisfying for individual party members than if they were not allied in a party: small concessions to ensure constant victories and less big concessions. So parties are not needed to have a majority of votes but parties will be formed to systematically conquer majority of votes.

* Parties are not just a matter of money, they provide services that no one sells today. They have specific political experiences, skills, knowledges and networks to run successful campaigns. And many of those people do this benevolently! Sure, some marketing agencies could theoretically specialize on politics and take over this role, but how will you ensure that parties disappear and are replaced by marketing agencies, especially as parties currently have a monopoly over this and will always be cheaper thanks to benevolent work? I suggest you put yourself in a candidate's shoes: so you are provided with this huge sum of money, so now what? How are you going to compete with this other candidate that is supported by a party with a professional staff that has campaign experience and a social network of benevolent supporters? It's like thinking that you can fire all of a corporation's employees and outsource everything.

* It's not that I do not "like" e-voting, it's that e-voting cannot be secured. E-voting is letting the NSA vote for you. Everyone with a real knowledge of those problems will tell you something similar. The ONLY way to secure a vote AND to make it transparent and verifiable (which is equally important: you cannot trust your government to secure the voting process, it must be verifiable by third parties) is to make votes public, to discard the secrecy. There is not other way. E-voting can only work if votes are public because this is the only way to empower citizens with the ability to control the e-vote.

If you think that open source or secured machine could do the trick, they cannot. For the start it is a lot more complicated than you think (you would need to scan every machine transistor by transistor by electronic microscope and every line of source code from the OS to the firmwares - and scanning the hardware probably means destroying it) and would require so much money and work that very few entities could do it (so much for the verifiability). And even if you were doing all of that, the probability would be high that someone could still manage to have hidden a vulnerability that could be exploited to fraud complete votes for decades: if checking source code was enough, modern OSes would not look like cheese.

And, no, you cannot check your vote by logging in. You can check what the machine tells you your vote was, which is very different. And even if it was your vote, the matter of knowing whether it is taken into account is still different. On the other hand, yes, you can count the ballots yourself: I already did after being asked to come back at the end. We were two or three dozens of people at the end and we were randomly selected to count the ballots. And the others were able to watch us. The paper process can be controlled by citizens from the start to the end. And some people do control it. The e-voting is not verifiable by the crowd unless you discard secrecy.

* Direct democracy is not like anarchy. The coordination would still be there: I said the base would be your typical democracy, so there would still be a govt, parties and such. It's just that the number of representatives would not be bounded, that representatives would have as much votes as their "electors", that you could bypass your representative anytime. Once we get e-voting (at the cost of discarding secrecy, again), there will be no reason to keep legislative elections as they are now. The legislative chambers as we know them mostly exist because no more than N people could enter a parliament building, because asking people to vote is bothersome and expensive, etc. On the other hand representatives would still be needed because most people do not have the time or knowledge to understand or follow the debates and would rather trust someone else: their representatives.

* I am not aware of any previous use of the word "thematic" or any "thematic democracy". And given the poor results I found on the web, I think it is not connoted with anything, although I would not be surprised to hear that some direct democracies have used this adjective to describe their way to slice and distribute responsibilities.

* I still strongly dislike your civil service idea. What's the point of forcing me to spend a hundred of euros or work 1h a month while I already pay much more in taxes every year? I am still convinced that public agents will have the most votes and will form a de facto leading caste. I do not see anyone buying 1k€ (the cost of 60h of cheap work) or even more than 100€, and I do not see anyone volunteering for 60h of work while it would seem pretty natural for a civil agent to just shift some of his working hours every month as part of the civil service. To formulate it differently: the psychological price of the vote will be far lower for civil agents so they will dominate the vote.

* Maybe I have not been clear: private schools are identical to public schools. They do nothing better, nothing worse, everything is homoegneous. They just evict the worse students and put this burden on the public schools. In the end, our education system is entirely decided at the ministry level. And it is bad. Yet the private schools do nothing better. And, no, it's not French people in general who lack innovation and inventiveness, just our education system.

* I misunderstood what the congress is in your system. But how can a congress be the head? 200 people cannot debate together to devise multi-years priorities, decide everything, etc. Everything takes too much time, concessions are made all the time, clientelism rules (congressman X will want measure Y so that he is re-elected), etc. The leading board must be narrower. If Mexio wants to invade the USA? they just have to do it on a Friday night: half of congressmen will not be contactable, the other ones will disagree on the proper answer, they will have to create a sub-commission to address specific issues, etc. By Sunday night the USA will be Mexican. Or, more likely, you army will have took over the reins and overthrown your government.

* By anonymous faces, I meant no-names, people who are not known from the public. The public needs to know who to blame when things turn bad. Since they will barely know most of their representatives, I doubt this information can be properly extracted and used on the next election.
Harmattan wrote:parties are not needed to have a majority of votes

We agree that parties are not needed to reach plurality or even majority decisions. Game theory demonstrates this.

You can prove through game's theory that the overall voting outcomes are more satisfying for individual party members than if they were not allied in a party

Game theory does not prove this at all. Game theory merely states that people are motivated by their own self-interests and builds upon this axiom with voting and auction mechanisms. Plus, what you said is contradictory. If a person's position is rejected by a plurality or majority of their group, and the group creates a position for which that member hates, and the group managed to pass that position into law, then the group scores a victory but is the individual really more satisfied than he would have been if the group had adopted his or her position? Obviously not. Game theory merely explains that the reason a person would remain with the group despite the rejection of that person's position is because that person continues to benefit from the group through the group's support services. The person perceives they are better off with the group than without. People are 'happier' to be included than to not be. It's as simple as that.

small concessions to ensure constant victories and less big concessions.

This is not limited to parties since it is true for all situations including in a congress. Parties are not needed to create small concessions.

but parties will be formed to systematically conquer majority of votes. Parties allow narrower consensuses to dominate politics ... rather than having to submit to the national consensus

So what you are and were saying is that even if it isn't desirable that a narrower consensus be able to dominate politics that it will occur anyway. Okay, I concur.

[Parties] provide services that no one sells today. They have specific political experiences, skills, knowledges and networks to run successful campaigns.

Yes. I agree with you that this is why people join parties. It's for the support services. It's also how the party maintains control over its members. A person is more willing to give up or compromise on their position on an issue if the consequence of not doing so is to be denied appointments to paid or prestigious positions within the party or government.

And many of those people do this benevolently!

I think you are specifically referring to free volunteer work. The voter registration system in my design directly addresses this. It rewards "benevolent" support. In fact, the foundation of my philosophy is that for a democracy of the People to be legitimate, it must be started by volunteers. Again, you are right that there are individualist benevolent volunteers in the world who are both willing and able to do work for free just to see an event they are interested in succeed or to support their political candidate or party. So to those people, a reward for their contributions would be unnecessary, not that it wouldn't be welcomed as sweet savory gravy if they were rewarded anyway. It goes without saying that they would already feel great if the event they were organizing was successful or if their candidate or party won an election, yet, if they could also benefit from their contributions even when they lose or don't get their way, then it's that much better for them and thus their motivation can be more easily sustained. If there's one thing I learned from my own life experiences with voluntarism it's that the sustainability of a volunteer's contribution is unreliable, thus, any organization that relies on volunteers needs an unending stream of them. My design provides an extra incentive to volunteers to make voluntarism a bit more reliable and make it easier for the government (or party) to sustain itself without the need for large private donors or foreign loans. It also gives non-voting members (you can think of them as non-citizens) a fair and obtainable path to the right to vote (think of it like a path to citizenship).

Sure, some marketing agencies could theoretically specialize on politics and take over this role, but how will you ensure that parties disappear and are replaced by marketing agencies, especially as parties currently have a monopoly over this and will always be cheaper thanks to benevolent work? I suggest you put yourself in a candidate's shoes: so you are provided with this huge sum of money, so now what? How are you going to compete with this other candidate that is supported by a party with a professional staff that has campaign experience and a social network of benevolent supporters? It's like thinking that you can fire all of a corporation's employees and outsource everything.

I never intended to eliminate parties when I created this design. I just thought they wouldn't develop because the direct election mechanism in my design made them irrelevant. However, since you pointed out to me the services that parties provide would still be needed, such as branding and support services, I admitted the oversight on my part. My design does not eliminate parties, but I never set out to eliminate them anyway.

Still, there is a problem when there are only 2 parties, so let's address that. As we've already agreed, eliminating parties by force is against both our ideological principles. Then, without the option of banning parties, I don't think they can be eliminated. The best thing in this case, imo, is to create conditions which make it easier to compete against parties. Consequently, any condition which makes it easier for an individual to compete against a party will also make it easier for more parties to form. Having more parties on the playing field will result in more competition so that it is more difficult for large parties to sustain their size and power. On the other hand, game theory also demonstrates that smaller parties may align themselves with other parties, eventually resulting in a mass consolidation if conditions allowed. And, as demonstrated by the American Civil War, once consolidated it can be virtually impossible to break back apart except through military force. This brings us right back to the problem of lost opportunity. The only way to attack the problem of dictatorship then is to either have no parties or to have lots of competing parties. Since you pointed out that my system does not eliminate parties, then the other solution is to create conditions which make consolidation difficult to sustain and also results in the development of lots of smaller parties. As it turns out, with the addition of public funding of private campaigns, I believe my design accomplishes this. It allows lots of parties to compete for government control of this society and gives incentive to break away from larger parties to compete more directly for public funding of their private campaign. In addition to public funding of private campaigns, my design employs an instant runoff voting system rather than first past the post. Those two conditions alone (public funding and IRV representation) create conditions that encourage the development of more parties. The idea is not new since other people have proposed this and some countries even run their democracies this way, but it does not go far enough to satisfy the criteria for developing a rational democracy since we're still left with an irrational republic. This is where the thematic districts of my design come into play. By creating a hierarchy of thematic districts, much like all organizations do, whether they be organized clubs or churches or corporations, issues can be sorted into divisions by logical function. These two conditions create a competitive atmosphere within each logical division.

Parties are not just a matter of money

I know you framed this statement in the context of voluntarism, but since I've already pointed out that even when one feels strongly about certain issues (especially when directly affected by them), that an organization (political party included) requires a forever lasting string of volunteers. Even if every volunteer kept up their energy indefinitely and never had a single disagreement with the leadership, a person still has to eat. It takes less effort to be benevolent when we're paid to be. That's the whole focus of my design. It uses game theory which, as you know, is based on the fact that every individual is motivated by their own self-interests and that we can use voting and auction mechanisms to organize individuals into groups for the purpose of distributing political and economic power. I believe my design will 'work' as in if put in motion that it gives profit incentive to 'outsiders' to organize and operate within the framework of my design, if they only knew about it and understood it. The question is whether it's a more desirable design than the world's current government frameworks. I think it could be. Sure, there are a few issues to iron out, such as knowing how people will react initially upon first hearing the idea, which is why I sought out this discussion. Through this discussion, I've already seen how my design can be improved, plus I know how to go about rewriting it and exactly what questions to address. Still, I don't expect perfection. The goal is to just build something better, not to solve all the world's problems.

It's not that I do not "like" e-voting, it's that e-voting cannot be secured. E-voting is letting the NSA vote for you. Everyone with a real knowledge of those problems will tell you something similar.

How is e-voting allowing the NSA to vote for us? By knowing who votes which way and terrifying us to vote the way CNN tells us to? Or by forging votes? They couldn't get away with forging votes because votes can be verified by 3rd parties even while keeping the names secret by using a verification method that I will briefly outline in response to the following.

The ONLY way to secure a vote AND to make it transparent and verifiable (which is equally important: you cannot trust your government to secure the voting process, it must be verifiable by third parties) is to make votes public, to discard the secrecy. There is not other way. E-voting can only work if votes are public because this is the only way to empower citizens with the ability to control the e-vote. ... And, no, you cannot check your vote by logging in. You can check what the machine tells you your vote was, which is very different. [Because] even if it was your vote, the matter of knowing whether it is taken into account is still different.

I disagree with you that e-voting cannot be made transparent and verifiable without discarding secrecy in order to allow a third party to verify the votes. Here is my approach to it, but I'll post a link too with a concept others have been working on. As a programmer, I'm sure you know of the key value pair concept.

Code: Select allvoters = {"Bob":"ab8320dks88q41", "Sandra":"hs6518dil54p24"}

Two lists can be made for the voting results. On one list, all the people who voted are listed. It doesn't tell us who they voted for. It only tells us they voted. This way, we can know how many people voted. On a second list, the vote counts are given and tells us which way each person voted but it does not tell us that person's name. Instead it uses each person's voter ID number. The public doesn't know who each ID is associated with, but each member knows his or her own voter ID number and each member can only have 1 voter ID. For added security, voters can be given new voter IDs every year. So to verify the votes a person only needs to verify their own votes and check that the number of votes corresponds with the number of voters.

That's just my approach, but, as I mentioned earlier, there are people more knowledgeable than I am who have been working specifically in this area. They call their approach 'zero-knowledge proof'. Do you know much about it?

If you think that open source or secured machine could do the trick, they cannot. For the start it is a lot more complicated than you think (you would need to scan every machine transistor by transistor by electronic microscope and every line of source code from the OS to the firmwares - and scanning the hardware probably means destroying it) and would require so much money and work that very few entities could do it (so much for the verifiability). And even if you were doing all of that, the probability would be high that someone could still manage to have hidden a vulnerability that could be exploited to fraud complete votes for decades: if checking source code was enough, modern OSes would not look like cheese..

That's absurd and ridiculously unnecessary since only the results need to be verified. Whether a machine is infected with malware is entirely irrelevant if the outcome is intact and verifiable. And if it's found that the votes had been tampered with, then the machines can be replaced and the votes erased. I demonstrated above that it is possible for a 3rd party to verify e-votes without having to scan every machine transistor by transistor to see if the votes had been tampered with. However, you did bring to the surface of my mind another problem of e-voting which will probably kill the e-voting aspect of my design. That is if a machine is hacked, even if it does not change the votes (which can be verified), simply knowing who voted which way could have devastating consequences as it would forcefully remove the secrecy layer. Secrecy cannot be discarded in the foundation layer of a democracy. There will be too much pressure on individuals by their peers who would bully them into voting their way, maybe even by the NSA.

But maybe we're both being a bit too paranoid over secrecy? Even in paper voting, the county clerk or designated recorder records all the votes after they have been counted. This is how they discover if someone has voted twice or not. This means even with paper votes that the government already knows who voted and how they voted. Nobody seems to be bothered by this.

On the other hand, yes, you can count the ballots yourself: I already did after being asked to come back at the end. We were two or three dozens of people at the end and we were randomly selected to count the ballots. And the others were able to watch us. The paper process can be controlled by citizens from the start to the end. And some people do control it. The e-voting is not verifiable by the crowd unless you discard secrecy.

Here in America, each state has its own ballot procedures but they all seem to use an electoral commission. My design uses a Ministry of Elections which really isn't any different.

Direct democracy is not like anarchy. The coordination would still be there: I said the base would be your typical democracy, so there would still be a govt, parties and such. It's just that the number of representatives would not be bounded, that representatives would have as much votes as their "electors", that you could bypass your representative anytime. Once we get e-voting (at the cost of discarding secrecy, again), there will be no reason to keep legislative elections as they are now. The legislative chambers as we know them mostly exist because no more than N people could enter a parliament building, because asking people to vote is bothersome and expensive, etc. On the other hand representatives would still be needed because most people do not have the time or knowledge to understand or follow the debates and would rather trust someone else: their representatives.

We use direct democracy in some states in America, such as my home state of Colorado. The way it works is that someone circulates a petition (often by standing outside a store or attending parties and ask registered voters to sign it) and if enough signatures are collected then it is sent off to be verified. If the petition was signed by enough valid registered voters then the measure is added to the next public ballot. If 60% of the citizens vote in favor of the measure then it is signed directly into law, bypassing the legislation. I oppose direct democracy because it removes the necessary filtering process of forcing bills to be debated in legislation. What happens then is the farm animals take over the farm, removing rationality. Here is an article that goes into greater detail of the problem. To me, direct democracy is not far from anarchy. It may not technically fit the description of anarchy itself, but it isn't far from it either.

I am not aware of any previous use of the word "thematic" or any "thematic democracy". And given the poor results I found on the web, I think it is not connoted with anything, although I would not be surprised to hear that some direct democracies have used this adjective to describe their way to slice and distribute responsibilities.

It's possible that your search results differ from mine, given the nature of Google. But the real problem is more likely my hyperbolic use of the term anarchy. From my hasty viewing of admittedly only a few web sites, it appeared to me that the word thematic was being used by people who favor direct democracy. I don't think people who favor direct democracy are interested in rational government since it allows the majority to vote laws directly into existence rather than relying upon representatives who are more educated and more aware of the issues to make the laws. We must have leaders make the laws, not common people. Common people don't even know who their vice president is let alone whether or not we should ban dihydrogen monoxide. How can you expect people to know what the issues are let alone know how their decisions affect their environment on both a micro and macro level without sufficient awareness? Here is a fake news report that does a superb job of demonstrating how 'media language' herds people's opinions. Here is another one. I see this kind of trash in the real world every time I watch the news or read a newspaper. It doesn't matter if it's CNN, Fox, ABC, MSNBC, The Alex Jones Channel or The Young Turks. They all do it. I only chose to post those videos instead of actual ones only so I could show non-controversial examples and avoid creating any side debates or discussions about any specific incident which would distract from our primary discussion.

This is why my system elects leaders instead of laws. Leaders act as the filter. Unless it is one's job to be aware of all things or one is grossly financially independent, nobody has the time and resources necessary to "open a book" and "educate themselves" on every subject and every issue. Heck, even if one were grossly financially independent, no single person can know all things. There are simply too many things to know and our environment always changes. That's why we specialise. Besides, even if someone were to have all the resources necessary and knew everything, what incentive would they have to expend still more resources (including their limited time) to inform the rest of us? And why would we believe them even if they did? Because they would call us stupid, uneducated and too lazy to open a book if we didn't? Oh, please...... I know that they are the real idiots. They're completely oblivious to reality. It all boils down to "believe me because I said so." And that is a problem with both libertarianism and monarchism. But, when we elect leaders, we collectively decide only whether a person has the qualifications to serve the position, whether that person's values resemble our own, and whether that person's management strategy will result in an outcome we can trust. So if the Ministry of Science tells us that evolution is the theory most accepted by scientists and that creationism is pure crackpottery, then we confidently know whether or not we can believe the ministry since we know the procedure the Ministry of Science uses to derive that conclusion and that the Minister of Science was transparently selected based on his or her merits. The scientists can duke it out amongst themselves through peer-review while we, the commoners (or specialists in other fields), can rest assured of what we're taught in school are more in line with the facts or are at least the closest at that time to whatever the "truth" happens to be.

I still strongly dislike your civil service idea. What's the point of forcing me to spend a hundred of euros or work 1h a month while I already pay much more in taxes every year?

Think, from the perspective of you wanting to join a club you are not yet a member of. You would be unequal to the club members if you had to first get the permission of the current club members before you could join. What if they said no? So not only would you be unequal, but it would be unfair to you too. In fact, being excluded might make you envious, especially if you were starving and membership to the club meant you could eat. On the other hand, it would be unfair to the current club members to let you join without paying any kind of equitable due, especially since they were the ones who created the club and made their resources available to its members in the first place. To be fair and equal to both sides, there must be an equitable contribution by everyone. But the equitable due itself poses a problem. If the fee is too high then there will be people who can't afford to pay. If the fee is too low then it is unfair to already existing members. Obviously, I do not want to spend a bunch of my own money and put in a lot of my own time to create something just to lose control of my creation (and thus its benefits to me for which I deserve since I created it) to a bunch of freeloaders who contributed nothing. I thought about this problem for a long time which is how I eventually arrived at voter registration as the solution. Since the society is for the benefit of a group, and not any single individual, it stands to reason that building the society must be a group effort. And that is why we must have dues. But there is no basis from which we can use to set an amount for dues because as of yet there is no society, nor even a small club. So what to do? There must be a minimum contribution that all people pay or else we could only have a dictatorship. Plus, we can't ignore the people who have zero worth. Perhaps they are victims of progress, which is what we call technological unemployment, but if they are willing to learn then they should be allowed to join so that they can learn to be useful, but they should not vote if they have contributed nothing. So we allow them to join but don't allow them to vote since they contributed nothing. But if we do not educate them then they would effectively be denied equal opportunity and that would go against the founding philosophy of the society. Therefore, to keep membership open and to keep from giving away the farm, we limit voting to those who contribute the minimum amount. This way voting is restricted to equity members. This means voter registration is the bare minimum required tax. The tax on economic activity does not count toward the bare minimum. The tax on economic activity is only in place to enforce that a portion of wealth withdrawn from the society is redeposited as tribute for creating the conditions which enabled the economic activity in the first place (public services such as police, fire department, roads, bridges, parks, education, business loans, grants, etc.) In other words, voter registration forms the sustainable base of the government while the transaction tax sustains and grows the government's operations and public services.

I am still convinced that public agents will have the most votes and will form a de facto leading caste. I do not see anyone buying 1k€ (the cost of 60h of cheap work) or even more than 100€, and I do not see anyone volunteering for 60h of work while it would seem pretty natural for a civil agent to just shift some of his working hours every month as part of the civil service. To formulate it differently: the psychological price of the vote will be far lower for civil agents so they will dominate the vote.

Yes, it will start out that way and I designed it like that in order to safeguard the society's constitution during its early stages. After all, what if a group of Muslims joined and changed the constitution? I don't want Muslims to dictate to me, in a society I designed, what projects will and won't be funded. Nor do I want public money being used to fund mosques nor grants given to clerics. But, I still want to allow anyone to contribute to the society's economic development so that the society can support its leaders. So to accomplish both, I use game theory to my advantage. Because I know that people only care about their own interests, I can rest assured the Muslims will keep themselves out. Muslims won't be interested in an anti-religion constitution and there won't be enough economic incentive in the society's early stages for them to want to join. When the society grows large enough that its economic incentive begins to attract people who would like to change the society's constitution, it will be incredibly difficult for them to do so because that economic incentive which attracted them in the first place will also have attracted Christians, Hindus, and Buddhists. Upon learning first hand that they don't stand a chance of being elected by the opposing force, not to mention the large group of atheists who made up the founding membership, they will lose interest because the economic incentive still will not be great enough to keep trying. So the atheists stay in power and more atheists join, attracted by the economic incentive and the established fact that it is easier for a non-religious person to be elected than a religious person. So if some people choose to not obtain voter registration because they believe their 60 hours of work or their payment of hundreds of dollars will do nothing to influence a vote then fine. We just have to remember it's their decision not ours. We give them the opportunity and they turn it down. That was their choice. At least we give them a choice.

So, the society grows in terms of land holdings and economic activity and more people shall become attracted to it as a result. But, even though membership is open to everyone, not everyone will want to become a member. But eventually, they will become a member anyway even if they cannot affect the vote. After all, living in the mountains is an option for citizens of many countries, but few choose to do so because they lose the benefit of living in cities. Even though everyone is pretty much forced to live in a society somewhere, I don't think anybody is forced to live in cities any more than they are forced to enjoy Internet connectivity and hospitals. But, civilization comes at a cost and all its inhabitants must share the expense because all its inhabitants benefit from their society. Still, people must be given a choice of societies to live in. Because people were not given a choice to be born, the location of their residence and environmental circumstances are not their fault. Therefore, people must be allowed the freedom to travel and settle without immigration restrictions, and people must have the right to form new governments. Our current governments do not allow limitless immigration, so my design shows a solution.

Maybe I have not been clear: private schools are identical to public schools. They do nothing better, nothing worse, everything is homoegneous.

Private schools compete on teacher to pupil ratio. The smaller the class size, the better education students receive. So in my system, even though school tuition gets reduced as more public funding is accepted, there will still be a market for private schools because students can receive a better education with smaller class sizes. This does not mean public school students receive the worst education either because public schools will be privately owned. The teacher to student ratio will be entirely up to the school's owner, plus they must keep in mind that parents and students can still choose their schools. This very well could result in a very homogeneous outcome, but it is not at all uncompetitive nor of low quality. In fact, competition between the schools will result in stable, high quality, low cost education.

They just evict the worse students and put this burden on the public schools.

I don't know about the policies in France, but in America, public schools have the power to evict students too. Besides, the worst students should be evicted. They disrupt classes and ruin the learning environment for other students. I could see how my policies could force the worst students into public schools who will accept anybody because they are refused admittance by both private and public schools. But, in that case, it's the students' own fault. They were given an equal opportunity (most likely several opportunities since schools are paid per pupil) and they chose to throw their opportunity away. If the environment of a public school is not a good fit for a student and that student cannot afford to attend a private school, there is no problem because under my system that student can choose to attend another public school (who will gladly take them as long as they don't have an expulsion record). After all, the school won't turn down government money (unless they believe that the new student will drive away the other students).

In the end, our education system is entirely decided at the ministry level.

The education system must be at least steered at the ministry level. It's the only way to ensure those topics which are essential for our society are taught. The methods used to teach those topics can be left up to the schools and the teachers, but what will be taught in each topic or whether or not to even teach a topic at all cannot be entirely up to the school or the teachers. For example, the teaching of creationism should never be taught in a public school and public money should never be awarded to any school or any teacher who teaches creationism. Even if the school teaches math, no funds for teaching math should be given to the school if that school also teaches creationism. It must be in the constitution.

I misunderstood what the congress is in your system.

I thought I made the congress system in my design quite obvious. But, if anything, you pointed out how I should rewrite it. Once I rewrite it, it'll be much clearer. I'll write out exact situations and center everything around open source society development. I'm thinking about something like a democratic version of Open Source Ecology. Their society project is a monarchy. I'm imagining doing the same thing but as a democracy.

But how can a congress be the head? 200 people cannot debate together to devise multi-years priorities, decide everything, etc. Everything takes too much time, concessions are made all the time, clientelism rules (congressman X will want measure Y so that he is re-elected), etc.

The congress can be the head because it selects the ministers who run the country based on the policies they create. Both corporations and non-profit organizations use this system of governance and their societies operate just fine. Of course, with corporations there are majority share holders that provide stability to the system, but this is not the case with non-profit organizations where each member holds only 1 vote.

In a corporation, stock holders elect the board of directors. Those board members elect the corporation's executives. The executives run the business but they are not independent of the board of directors. The board of directors vote for policies that the executives must abide by. So you see, even though the executives get the credit for running the business, it's the board of directors who are ultimately in charge. Several non-profits also run their organizations this way. | AAAS | ABET | American Neurological Association |

The leading board must be narrower. If Mexico wants to invade the USA? they just have to do it on a Friday night: half of congressmen will not be contactable, the other ones will disagree on the proper answer, they will have to create a sub-commission to address specific issues, etc. By Sunday night the USA will be Mexican. Or, more likely, you army will have took over the reins and overthrown your government.

Not so because each minister has enough authority within the jurisdiction of their own ministry to act on behalf of the congress within the constraints of the policies created by the congress. If Mexico invaded, the Ministry of War would have automatic authorization to deploy military forces. But if there was no war and military forces were deployed then the congress's Sergeant at Arms would be ordered to arrest the Minister and seize his or her assets. But in the beginning, there isn't likely to be any Ministers of War because the society wouldn't be large enough to warrant any. (Maybe there could be a Minister of Cyber Warfare) But even without the power of arrest the budding society can still freeze a minister's assets (i.e. society owned land and currency) and initiate criminal proceedings with the local government who has arresting power for a physical jurisdiction in criminal cases like assault, theft and fraud.

By anonymous faces, I meant no-names, people who are not known from the public. The public needs to know who to blame when things turn bad. Since they will barely know most of their representatives, I doubt this information can be properly extracted and used on the next election.

People barely know their representatives today. The difference is that under my current government I cannot vote against a candidate from representing his or her local district (and by being a member of congress me also!), but under my system I can. That's because the congressional divisions of my system are drawn thematically instead of geographically.

That term, thematic democracy is starting to grow on me.
a) Yes, you can prove that parties yield voting outcomes that better fit their members' interests. Just like with any form of alliance or collaboration: the collaboration cost (the small concession on topics that do not interest the member much) is lesser than the collaboration's added value (the topics that interests you the most are voted according to your common views) plus the penalty incurred by opposing alliances.

b) In your e-voting proposal the public list proves nothing if you can't prove its authenticity. And to prove its authenticity you need the first list, the one with the names. In other words you need a public list where each voter can check both his vote and the total of votes. That being said, systems like this exist, Helios being the most famous one, and they indeed do not depend on computers' security. However of they depend on algorithmic security: can you trust cryptography?

The answer is no given historical data: cryptographic algorithms actually have a short lifespan (typically < 20y) because of the mathematical weaknesses that always end up being discovered. And I meant the public lifespan, based on public discoveries. But guess who employs the most cryptographers in the world? The NSA. They are the most advanced group when it comes to cryptographic weaknesses in the world and they keep their knowledge secret. At best you presume an algorithm is secure for N years but no doubt the NSA can actually break some algorithmic classes.

You can't trust computers nor you can't trust cryptography, therefore secrecy must absolutely be unveiled for e-voting. It is indeed acceptable but ONLY for a truly superior form of democracy, or you will just repress political minorities (and even for a system that would offer them a true compensation, you would still need old secret paper elections in some circumstances).

As for present times, no, the government today does not know who you voted for. They and the public know whether you voted, but not who you voted for. Besides the government is not the only threat: when abolishing secrecy, the biggest threat is all of those people who will stop voting or stop voting sincerely because their employer or their family may disagree with their choices and cause them great damages.

c) Yes, some crowd-proposed laws are stupid. So what? Because a few people do pranks or may suggest stupid things, then power must be kept in the hands of an aristocracy? Of course not, and your example never led to a vote while some elected representatives actually got caught.

Besides in the democratic form I proposed such problems are alleviated by the persistence and usual dominance of full-time representatives. Not because they're smarter or wiser (they're not), but because exerting power is a full-time occupation that must be primarily made by full-time people rather than asking everyone to vote all the time on things they are clueless about. The system I proposed does not have this problem: people only bother to vote on topics they are concerned with and involved in, the rest of the time they trust their representative(s). And it does not have either the usual problem with direct democracies where only the few concerned people decide of something, as representative still represent the absent minds.

Finally I fail to see how a centralized power, submitted to the majority rule, where 95% of decisions would be taken up to 95% by your usual representatives, could be called anarchy. Most anarchists actually believe in a spontaneous and philanthropic order that would arise as soon as people would be free from the coercion induced by states, corporations, education and religion. I am quite puzzled by this comparison.

d) You claim that people are manipulated by the medias. But do you think representatives have some super-powers to shield them from those very same influences, and from the omnipresent lobbies, and from the corruption, and from their party's pressures? They're a lot more manipulated in my eyes. You claim that people are not apt at taking decisions but Bush was? Do you know that people with the highest education levels and social statuses believe the most in stupid stuff like religion, alien kidnappings, astrology, etc? Because idiocy is related a lot to ego and self-confidence.

Even if the leaders were really more competent (and they're not, just listen at interviews, debates and laws on topics you're familiar with and choke yourself with consternation), so what? Democracy does not assume that everyone is equally apt at choosing a leader, it assumes that you're the only one who will defend your interests. And looking at our representative democracies, everyone's interests are not correctly defended, hence the rising abstention rates in every Western democracy.

But I do not think that I will convince you as you do obviously strongly believe in the fact that people must be led by an "aristocracy" (minus the endogenous trait I suppose, although oligarchy is always at least mostly endogenous).

e) You wanted to control how your taxes are used to prevent them from being "wasted", so you made taxes illegitimate for those who cannot control it. By doing so, you made taxing illegitimate for those who are not allowed to control it, because it is no longer a common tax system for the common interest, just a tax system dictated by some and enforced through the use of the strength monopoly. As long as power becomes the privilege of a few, then the state is nothing more than a mob. Even if this few is 50% of people, it's still nothing more than an abuse of strength.

f) Regarding private schools in France, "evict" was a wrong choice of words: instead they do not accept bad students, they select good students, while public schools cannot select their students (they can evict them after misconduct however). Private schools mostly offer the very exact same teachers-per-pupil ratio, the same educative program, the same educative methods, but they only accept the better half of students. And they're mostly free, just like public schools. A very few private schools have significant fees and offer a better education. As I said, they do not help fixing our bad education system, and the selection advantage is enough for them to win the market.

g) You say that corporations use the same headless system but this is wrong: they chose a CEO and this CEO is the one who leads the corporation, de jure and de facto. The board of directors merely agrees or disagrees to his decisions, and they sometimes impulse directions. But there is one clear leader, and he is the figure of the corporation, the one who speaks in his name, negotiates agreements, addresses to employees and provides directions and leadership. The board of directors is not the executive power, they are its watchdogs and casual counselors or proxies. For the start they do not spend enough time in the corporation, being only here a few days a year, at best a few days a month. And this is fully reflected by the observed financial compensations, always below the top executive employees and usually far below 100k a year.

h) You say that in the circumstances of an invasion, then the ministry of war would gain full power over the army. But what about the mandatory coordination of civil forces, the requisitions, the mobilization, etc? I am talking about real wars, not "cheap" (relatively speaking) invasions of third-world countries. Would you grant him those powers also? And what would be the exact terms? Given that the USA are at war 50% of the time, I think it is of importance to specify the exact rules.

i) I initially spoke about "thematic chambers" and the term is appropriate. But I do not think that thematic democracy makes sense. "Composite" or "granular" maybe.

j) I will not promise you to read word-for-word everything you present me with, however long it will be. For the start this is a lot to ask to a busy man like me. Then you write a lot. And finally I only have a remote interest to your overall project both because it is very Americanish (derived from your current institutions - indirect election, congress, supreme court, etc - and targeted at American problems such as political campaigns funding and the two-party system, among others) and because we have huge ideological divergences. I am more interested in discussing some aspects, as you probably noticed. And while I value the fact that your thematic chambers address the problem of the general incompetence of our representatives (even if your concern was different as you do not held it as a problem), I think it is not enough and that it pales in respect of the changes that will be experienced in the course of this century. Actually I think our very diagnostics and definitions of democracy, and our lists of problems to address differ substantially.

k) I am aware that paper elections in the USA are poorly organized and that they often cannot be controlled by the public. But this is a problem specific to the USA that do not exist in many democracies. You can fix it.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]