A fitting ideology for me? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Certainly. An ideal society is one which fits the time, so to speak. The time changes.

That isn't a rejection of dialectical materialism, it doesn't have anything to do with dialectical materialism at all. I think your trying to say that you think communism is utopian, but dialectical materialism isn't the exact same thing as communism.

Heres a brief overview of different branches of the philosophy of history, which one strikes you as more true?

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_philosophy_of_history.html
mikema63 wrote:That isn't a rejection of dialectical materialism, it doesn't have anything to do with dialectical materialism at all. I think your trying to say that you think communism is utopian, but dialectical materialism isn't the exact same thing as communism.

Heres a brief overview of different branches of the philosophy of history, which one strikes you as more true?

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_philosophy_of_history.html

I am a staunch opponent of the idea of an 'end of history', which I know to be at least somewhat associated with dialectical materialism (both come from Hegel, at the very least).

What I said was actually pretty vague, but what I meant was something along the lines of the unfeasibility of society's arrival at an absorbing state any time soon.

It's been a while since I took a look at dialectical materialism, but looking at it again and ignoring the 'end of history' bit it seems at least somewhat tractable to me. This movement of 'New Historicism' in particular seems fair, and it seems to derive at least a little bit from dialectical materialism.

But I'd need more time to figure out precisely where it is I stand regarding a philosophy of history. I know that much is 'in the eyes of the beholder', at the very least; perceived trends and patterns often serve to console the perceiver more than to expound society in any objectively meaningful way.
Dialectical materialism would still be viable whether or not a communist society is actually the last stage of human societal evolution. The end of history is much more of a communist political concept than a dialectical materialist one.
OK, that makes sense. I'll have to research more about dialectical materialism, as it seems a good place to start regarding philosophy of history.

Do you have any suggestions of further readings, preferably in-depth descriptions of whatever length?

(Thanks, by the way, for all of the help, everybody. )

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

Blah blah. If Russia uses nukes, the rest of the […]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]