I'm looking for my ideology. I do have political views, but I don't think I really fit into any of the traditional ideological camps like 'liberal', 'conservative', 'libertarian', etc.
I used to be a conservative in the traditional American sense of the word, but I have found myself moving away from conservatism.
Below are some of my views. I don't really have specifics for most of them. Feel welcome to critique them and point out inconsistencies.
-I am opposed to abortions except for when the mother's health is at risk, in which case I support her right to choose. Idk if I think I would want to see it banned, but at the very least I would like to see government cut funding for abortions except for the aforementioned exception and work to provide alternatives to abortions and reduce the number that occur.
- I believe quality healthcare is a right since it seems unfair for some people to be denied treatment simply because they cannot afford it. I know offices need money to stay open, but this is the 21st century, why can't we do better?
- Regarding education, I see homeschooling as preferable, but I recognize that not all parents are responsible or have the time and resources to homeschool their children. Therefore, I promote quality public education and common core, but reform public schools to do a better job at educating our children.
- I'm undecided about same-sex marriage, but it's a minor issue to me.
-Georgism has lots of good ideas, but I don't think relying solely on the LVT would work for the economy. I also don't know how well it would work if implemented in the United States. I at least agree with the philosophy behind it that the land was around before man and that it is common property.
-I'm undecided on death penalty and gun control except that the former, if it should remain legal, needs some serious reforms. I also don't see why we can't have capital punishment and rehabilitation programs.
-Economically, I'm a capitalist, but I support reasonable regulations involving regulations in health, safety, environment, and the fair and humane treatment of workers. I also support Fair Trade.
- I neither favor the progressive tax or the flat tax, and I'm satisfied with either.
- Foreign policy should focus on self- defense, justice, and cooperation with our allies while still respecting each other's sovereignty. I'm not an isolationist, but I'm no fan of the UN, either. I'm also pro-Israel.
-We need to use common sense regarding immigration. We have borders for a reason, so just enforce the existing regulations. As for illegals already residing in the United States, leave them alone as long as they aren't violent criminals and contribute to society in some way. Maybe allow a pathway to citizenship. Deportation should be a last resort.
-I support welfare for those who are unable to take care of themselves and for the unemployed who are actively seeking work or enrolled in job-training programs.
-I like New Federalism.
- I believe in a balance between privatization and government regulation. There are some things that work better when privatized and other things the government can do better than the private sector.
I'm using "government" vaguely here, so that means when I say the government should regulate or intervene in something, Idk if it should be the Federal Government, or the state and local governments.