If social media has polluted civic life... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Any other minor ideologies.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Something strange has happened to public discourse in recent years, says Janet Daley: under the shield of anonymity provided by social media, it dispenses with “all previous understandings of what constitutes acceptable conduct”. Yes, heated debate has always generated its share of insults, but the murderous bile spewed online is something new
source: https://www.wikilks.com/2021/01/if-soci ... -life.html
It’s very hard to be a good human IRL. It takes a lot of work to develop relationships and to navigate situations and personalities. You’re groomed your whole life to be a decent human. For some reason this culture hasn’t permeated the online world as much, or maybe it has?

Maybe one day we’ll see dedicated classes at school on how to behave online? It’s all a bit Wild West at the minute and I think that might stem from the fact that the moderators like Twitter and Facebook haven’t taken their positions seriously as the creators of these new civilizations...maybe.

I dunno *shrugs*
Last edited by ness31 on 25 Jan 2021 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
I agree with @ness31 . It is wild on the interwebs. As a teen it was like a new world, strange and so different from the offline world. People are more relaxed and more honest on social media and discussion boards. It is fascinating and disturbing too.

Do people forget their manners when they engage in online activity or do they just stop caring about being respectful and acting decent?

Also, when people grow up in homes where both mom and dad work, who supervises the kids? Who teaches them right and wrong? That is left to primary school. I feel like only in preschool up to 2nd grade, the teachers are good about teaching kids to be respectful and kind. Then towards the pre-teen stage kids start going through puberty and they're trying to discover who they want to be. If kids do not have good role models at this stage, they could end up becoming lost or unhappy adults.

For me, I needed to be in touch with my parents especially during my teens. I'm really glad I had my mom to talk to and my dad listened. But not all kids are as fortunate. The internet offers a lot of temptation and there is a lot of questionable material out there. It is easy to pick up bad habits from others too.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]