Male suicide scandal - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Man the fuck up.

I seriously doubt you actually want anyone to do that. If they did your precious equality obsession would be over in a weekend of blood and burning.

Following divorce, the suicide rate of men is nine times higher than the suicide rate of women. This is sometimes the result of financial devastation, but more often the result of denial of access to children.

The link between denying fathers access to children and reactive depression – and therefore suicide – is an obvious one. When in opposition, politicians promise fathers' rights groups they will resolve the problem once in office but renege on the promise once in power.

Lose your job, lose your home, lose your partner, land lose your kids. There is only a certain amount of stress that a man can take. Personally I don't know why the suicide rates are not higher.
Brisket wrote:Go on then. Otherwise you're just eating shit.

Taxmen wrote:I seriously doubt you actually want anyone to do that. If they did your precious equality obsession would be over in a weekend of blood and burning.

And here's the problem. You think being a man is being a toddler, just taking whatever one feels like and smashing stuff for fun.

When I say, "man the fuck up," I mean more than have a penis. Yes, some toddlers have those too. I mean take responsibility for your actions and don't publicly grovel about how unfair life is because you don't have as much of an advantage over everyone else as you used to.
I believe this may all be caused by some sense of hoplessness and that life has no purpose. British culture is very 'hard', there is no room to express one's feelings. A man who expresses his emotions will be considered soft and effeminate. Furthermore, it goes beyond gender roles in that expressions of feelings are simply unacceptable regardless of it is from a man or woman. Life in Britain is based solely around work and career and very little else is emphasised.

This is why when you meet the British they are very stiff and severe. It is simply not permissable to say you are not happy with something and if you do you will not be received well at all.
Life in Britain is based solely around work and career and very little else is emphasised.

Yes. You have hit the nail on the head. This Protestant Work Ethic is engrained in British culture. If a man hasn't a job he is made to think he is useless. Lose your job and then your home and family is considered the mans fault not the fault of the economy. Blame the victim who then tops himself.
anarchist23 wrote:Yes. You have hit the nail on the head. This Protestant Work Ethic is engrained in British culture. If a man hasn't a job he is made to think he is useless. Lose your job and then your home and family is considered the mans fault not the fault of the economy. Blame the victim who then tops himself.

I have seen a lot of this in London. You can see it on the faces of people in the morning, they look miserable, sullen and lifeless. In the cold of the winter it is as though they are forcing themselves to walk to their offices even though they have absolutely no motivation to do so.

People always are angry and annoyed. Cold controlled aggression.

No one is allowed to act normally, there is always a specific criteria for how one should behave. I am not saying one should be allowed to be rude or anything like that (although ironically this apparently seems completely acceptable), but England is such a conformist place. I have not seen any other country where people are forced to act in such a uniform way. If a person does not play the game and act in that way they are socially ostracised.

If anyone lived in such a place would they not quickly feel sadness?
By Potemkin
I have seen a lot of this in London. You can see it on the faces of people in the morning, they look miserable, sullen and lifeless. In the cold of the winter it is as though they are forcing themselves to walk to their offices even though they have absolutely no motivation to do so.

Indeed. TS Eliot nailed it in The Waste Land:
TS Eliot wrote:Unreal City,
Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,
I had not thought death had undone so many.
Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,
And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.
Flowed up the hill and down King William Street,
To where Saint Mary Woolnoth kept the hours
With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine.
Yes....I was at Liverpool Street train station in London at the rush hour and there were thousands of commuters on their way to work..and I did not see a single smile. So sad.
In the UK there is an insidious pressure on men to work. If you are unemployed you are considered a second rate citizen, any job is better than no job. The feeling of worthlessness can lead to suicide..
At some weird point in history, right-leaning chauvinists decided that the best thing to do was to become the whiniest bitch in the room. Roll your sleeves up and be the best chauvinist you can be. Fucking show everybody your worth, don't grovel about how unfair life is.

Why don't you apply this same formula to all groups?

Poor people: man the fuck up
Black people: man the fuck up
Immigrants: man the fuck up
Women: man the fuck up

With the exception of physically/mentally handicapped people who can't support themselves, I don't think that anyone should be contemplated with taxpayers' money/government's advantages.

And if these "right-leaning chauvinists" you addressed want to be helped by the state somehow, they are probably not right-wing at all.
I didn't bring anything up about being helped by the state, I brought up not whining like little bitch-victims all the time.

And right-leaning men's rights advocates tend to be the worst at it.
By Brisket
Pretty sure the left have a monopoly on whining like bitches. "Oh a male colleague earns more because he made more sacrifices. The world should be put on hold so i can churn out babies then return to work exactly where i left off. Heaven forfend i take responsibility for my own life style choices".

You should offer your own advice to women who think they're owed a high paying career. We never hear feminists complaining about there being too many male sanitation workers or grave diggers. Feminists are predominantly middle class pampered princesses with a sense of entitlement. The glass ceiling is a myth because many women do indeed make it to the top without state interference. The ones that don't obviously aren't trying hard enough.

It amuses me that feminists become hysterical when its suggested that men might have problems too. It certainly puts a hole in their theory that men control everything. You should know more than most, TIG, that the true division in society is based on class not gender. Feminism is a midde class movement that exists to improve the lot of middle class women only. It's nothing more than a fucking sideshow that harms working class males the most and does little if anything to improve the lives of working class women.

The young men killing themselves en mass aren't responsible for the historical oppression of women. You seem to support exactly the same methods being used against present day men. Either you believe discrimination based on gender is wrong or it isn't? If you don't think its inheretently wrong then quit whining about alleged historical injustices against women.
Last edited by Brisket on 25 Mar 2015 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
One thing to take into account - And this is common all over the western world - Is that men use more successful (statistically) suicide methods than women, like hanging themselves, guns, etc - While women use pills more often or try to slit their wrists. I can see many reasons why men and women would both commit suicide, though the motives are different.

Usually I see the trend of men's rights activists and anti-feminism as a deep fear tiny dick men have to compete with women and the hard to believe fact that women have skills, intelligence and rights as well. Like The Immortal Goon said, man the fuck up, no one is going to oppress you.

It amuses me that feminists become hysterical when its suggested that men might have problems too. It certainly puts a hole in their theory that men control everything. You should know more than most, TIG, that the true division in society is based on class not gender. Feminism is a midde class movement that exists to improve the lot of middle class women only. It's nothing more than a fucking sideshow that harms working class males the most and does little if anything to improve the lives of working class women.

Society is far more divided by nationality and ethnicity or religion than class. As for your claim, I'd like to know if there's any feminist out there who claims that men don't have problems - Because we surely do - It's just that we sometimes are naive enough to claim that women have easy lives and to pretend to know how it's like to be a woman when we don't - And men have problems, but I don't think MRAs, returnofkings.com and other idiotic organizations based on old fashioned sexist hatred are the solution.
Soulflytribe wrote:Why don't you apply this same formula to all groups?

Poor people: man the fuck up
Black people: man the fuck up
Immigrants: man the fuck up
Women: man the fuck up

With the exception of physically/mentally handicapped people who can't support themselves, I don't think that anyone should be contemplated with taxpayers' money/government's advantages.

And if these "right-leaning chauvinists" you addressed want to be helped by the state somehow, they are probably not right-wing at all.

Lol this isn't the same thing at all. The OP/sbg is literally being an old hat by blaming women and women's rights. He literally quotes something that says "taxpayer money is wasted encouraging women to take up professional careers," that a conspiracy of female teachers deliberately give better grades to girls (for the coming matriarchal takeover of the universe of course obviously), and that women are singularly responsible for single parent homes/absent fathers.

/small dick guy with an absent father who grew up hating/blaming women shakes fist at the evils of women's rights
/earns a low income, blames women
/has no job, blames women who stole all 'dem profeshunal careers
By velvet
Potemkin wrote:Men simply tend to be better at violence than women, even when that violence is against oneself.

It seems to me that it's more like men use more certain methods when it comes to suicide.

In the US, men prefer use firearms to suicide more than half the time (56.4%), whilst woman are in at just under a third of the time (31.2%). The preferred method for woman is poison, at around 36.2% of the time, whilst poison is used by men 11.1% of the time. In the UK, men prefer to hang or suffocate themselves when it comes to suicide (57%), whilst woman use this method 35% of the time. Like in the US, the preferred method for woman is poisoning, which is used 35.4% of the time, compared to 15.5% for men. You have a 90% of suicides by firearm succeed (and about that for hanging), whilst only 3% of suicides by poisoning do. Alternative statistics are available here, more-or-less the same story.

I don't think it's as simple as men being better at coming violence though. I think there's more complicated social and cultural factors at work here. I have one theory that men are just more committed to killing themselves, because Western social norms would paint failures in this regard as more effeminate. Other theories I like is that woman are more intent on preserving their looks, and that's seen in their statistically greater likelihood to shoot themselves in the chest as opposed to face even when using firearms.

Brisket wrote:It amuses me that feminists become hysterical when its suggested that men might have problems too.

Most men's problems, as I see them, are just blowback from the maintenance of the patriarchal system, which proposes that it's correct for men to be the dominant ones: attaining high statues, etc., because that's how the patriarchal system is retained (it must reproduce itself).
By Noob
Political Interest wrote:British culture is very 'hard', there is no room to express one's feelings. A man who expresses his emotions will be considered soft and effeminate. Furthermore, it goes beyond gender roles in that expressions of feelings are simply unacceptable regardless of it is from a man or woman. Life in Britain is based solely around work and career and very little else is emphasised.

This is why when you meet the British they are very stiff and severe. It is simply not permissable to say you are not happy with something and if you do you will not be received well at all.

ImageImageImageImageImage

By Brisket
Dystopian Darkness wrote:Usually I see the trend of men's rights activists and anti-feminism as a deep fear tiny dick men have to compete with women and the hard to believe fact that women have skills, intelligence and rights as well. Like The Immortal Goon said, man the fuck up, no one is going to oppress you.

How did you test this hypothesis? Some might say feminists are just ugly women who want access to the mainstream. Afterall, no woman has ever claimed they were held back by good looks. I don't think amateur psychology and second guessing people's motives makes for good debate. No one disagreed that women have skills and intelligence. When women make the same sacrifices as men they are just as successful.

Society is far more divided by nationality and ethnicity or religion than class. As for your claim, I'd like to know if there's any feminist out there who claims that men don't have problems - Because we surely do - It's just that we sometimes are naive enough to claim that women have easy lives and to pretend to know how it's like to be a woman when we don't - And men have problems, but I don't think MRAs, returnofkings.com and other idiotic organizations based on old fashioned sexist hatred are the solution.

I guarantee the man stacking shelves in your local supermarket is no better off than the woman doing the same job. I also guarantee that they weren't privately educated. It's class which prevents people from fulfiling their potential not gender. Feminists think its a travesty than a woman be forced to do such a job for low pay but they dont give a fuck about the male equivalent. They are only concerned with problems experienced by women, as they are motivated by misandry. You say feminists acknowledge that men have problems too but just look at how they disrupt a public meeting when someone wants to talk about male suicide. Note that it wasn't the content they objected to but the fact that the meeting was even taking place.

[youtube]iARHCxAMAO0[/youtube]

Lol this isn't the same thing at all. The OP/sbg is literally being an old hat by blaming women and women's rights. He literally quotes something that says "taxpayer money is wasted encouraging women to take up professional careers," that a conspiracy of female teachers deliberately give better grades to girls (for the coming matriarchal takeover of the universe of course obviously), and that women are singularly responsible for single parent homes/absent fathers.

/small dick guy with an absent father who grew up hating/blaming women shakes fist at the evils of women's rights

I don't know why you are bringing other users into this. Are these your imaginary friends?
Brisket wrote:
I guarantee the man stacking shelves in your local supermarket is no better off than the woman doing the same job. I also guarantee that they weren't privately educated. It's class which prevents people from fulfiling their potential not gender. Feminists think its a travesty than a woman be forced to do such a job for low pay but they dont give a fuck about the male equivalent. They are only concerned with problems experienced by women, as they are motivated by misandry. You say feminists acknowledge that men have problems too but just look at how they disrupt a public meeting when someone wants to talk about male suicide. Note that it wasn't the content they objected to but the fact that the meeting was even taking place.

You're just going to have to get over this. Nobody is going to walk 5 feet out of their way to give a crap about men's problems, not even other men. Especially not other men. Your'e pissing in the wind, so start pounding sand.

Nobody cares if you think it's fair, you're just a source of unintended humor for a bored population.

Feminists are right to object to men whining and kvetching about suicide. They don't care if men off themselves, nor should they. If you want to control suicide, then create a better world where everyone can find a purpose and meaning in life.

Be a mensch. Do the right thing because it is right, not because you expect praise. Don't complain. If you know a way to make things better for everybody, go for it - but don't try to tug on our heartstring's about the plight of men in general. Men have been dying in massive numbers for millennia, primarily at the hands of other men. It's crappy but that's the way it is. If you want to solve the problem men face, then this is where you need to start: men themselves.
By Decky
British culture is very 'hard', there is no room to express one's feelings. A man who expresses his emotions will be considered soft and effeminate.

You are allowed to be angry and you are allowed to be horney, those are the two emotions men are allowed to express and that is as it should be. If you want to have emotions then go to France.

Furthermore, it goes beyond gender roles in that expressions of feelings are simply unacceptable regardless of it is from a man or woman. Life in Britain is based solely around work and career and very little else is emphasised.

The week is 100% work focused and the weekend in 100% drink focused. It is all as it should be.
Political Interest wrote:British culture is very 'hard', there is no room to express one's feelings. A man who expresses his emotions will be considered soft and effeminate.

Thus if one in Britain displays an excess of emotion, is the appropriate way of doing things to frown disapprovingly, but not frown excessively?

Decky wrote:The week is 100% work focused and the weekend in 100% drink focused. It is all as it should be.

Brisket wrote:I don't know why you are bringing other users into this.

Even newcomers like Saeko recognize you're sbg.

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the question of why is the Liberal so stupid, i[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]