Abortion views: Pro-choice or Pro-life? - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It does not matter what I think is right. Both sides believe honestly that they are right. Leaving it to the states is the only fair option. Everyone should be allowed to live in a state that shares their beliefs on abortion.
One Degree wrote:It does not matter what I think is right. Both sides believe honestly that they are right. Leaving it to the states is the only fair option. Everyone should be allowed to live in a state that shares their beliefs on abortion.

Why should I allow any level of gov't to decide for me what to do with my body?
Why should I allow any level of gov't to decide for me what to do with my body?

? I never suggested you should. I said you should not deny others a government that disagrees with you. You should both be allowed to live in a government that supports your values.
You not only said that gov't should be allowed to tell someone what to do with their body, but you even specified which level of gov't should be doing it.

Pretend you are from the United States. If Trump thinks like you do, then abortion will be banned in the United States. If he thinks like I do, then he will let the states decide. Now, which do you prefer?
Your logic is always based upon the assumption you are right and your views will always be dominant. Look at the current situation in the US and perhaps you can see why your reasoning is faulty no matter how much you believe you are right. Would you not like to have at least one state you could live in that agrees with you?
I already live in a country that not only allows abortion at any time during the pregnancy, but also will pay for said abortion using taxpayer dollars.

Now, do you think that Trump or the state of Nebraska have the right to tell you what to do with your own body?
Now, do you think that Trump or the state of Nebraska have the right to tell you what to do with your own body?

You are evading my previous comments, but I will play along a little.
Yes they do if that law is based upon popular consensus of the residents and not on lobbying.
If I disagree strongly enough, then I will relocate or strive to change the minds of the other residents.
The point is to give people of differing opinions options rather than forcing them to abide by rules they find repulsive. No issue as divisive as abortion should ever be determined by a national law. There is absolutely no reason to alienate the people on either side.
Nobody need undergo an abortion if they find the thought repulsive. Did you not know that?

Yes, and I also know that many people believe abortion is murder. They do not believe they should stand by while other people murder the unborn.
As I said, both sides firmly believe in their positions. What I do not understand is why people insist that everyone must agree with their position. Both sides want the whole world to agree with them. Guess what? It is not going to happen. You can either keep switching back and forth based on the party in power or you can show some common sense and allow both to have their way.
One Degree wrote:You are evading my previous comments, but I will play along a little.
Yes they do if that law is based upon popular consensus of the residents and not on lobbying.
If I disagree strongly enough, then I will relocate or strive to change the minds of the other residents.
The point is to give people of differing opinions options rather than forcing them to abide by rules they find repulsive. No issue as divisive as abortion should ever be determined by a national law. There is absolutely no reason to alienate the people on either side.

So, if people voted that all blacks had to be forcibly sterilised, you would be fine with that, as long as it was the state doing it and not the federal gov't?
So, if people voted that all blacks had to be forcibly sterilised, you would be fine with that, as long as it was the state doing it and not the federal gov't?

As I stated earlier, whether I think it is right or not is of no importance. If a group of people in a community choose to do something that does not cause harm to people in other communities, then they should be allowed to do it. I would prefer they post a sign, so I would know not to visit there.
[quotePosting a sign to describe every law in a given community and expecting people to read it is ridiculous.][/quote]

No problem posting it on the internet. :) Besides, it is no more ridiculous than expecting the whole world to agree to a set of morality laws.
In other words, you are fine with communities deciding to strip the rights of people in those communities.

Yes, I believe community rights are more important than the rights of individuals who do not live in that community. Rights are simply something a community agrees you have. Only if all communities voluntarily adopt these rights do they actually become universal rights.

So, what does this have to do with abortion?

See all of my posts above.
As far as I can tell, it has very little to do with abortion.

The only relationship I see is that you think that a woman's body is communal property insofar that it is the community who gets to decide if she is free to use it at her discretion.
The only relationship I see is that you think that a woman's body is communal property insofar that it is the community who gets to decide if she is free to use it at her discretion.

Once again, your logic is flawed by your inability to see your views are not the only possible right view.
You statement assumes I am pro life. You also assume all the women in every community agree with you. Both your assumptions are false.
There are many women who would choose to live in a community that banned abortion.
Pants-of-dog wrote:As far as I can tell, it has very little to do with abortion
. There is a connection since One Degree wants to strip women of the right to choose abortion, as an option, even if their life might very well depend on it. All this at the whim of a community of people who aren't extremely likely to be educated in Obstetrics/Gynecology. There is a reason we consult doctors, and not plumbers when we are ill.

1 The great settlement withdrawal that Israelis […]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]