I do not understand "attempted" suicide - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was on morphine a few years ago, but being a zombie isn't my idea of living. I never said it was constant pain, but it's severe enough to put me on disability.
Dying peacefully is preferred, but I'd rather live longer than die sooner, if given the choice. We're not discussing assisted suicide like when people have incurable diseases with no hope.
I would not do it at the cost of my life savings, as I have a family. Their well-being would be a huge consideration.

I live with almost constant pain. It's doable. Living independently? Well, lots of people have good lives and don't live independently. It comes down to what you think your quality of life is.

I think it has to be damned horrible for you to want to end your life, even thru assisted suicide(legal in Canada, incidentally).

People like Stephen Hawking have managed to have some quality of life, or enough so that they can continue on. I think it's a last resort, and that suicide, most of the time, is only a cry for help, from people with severe depression(mental illness).

Remember, when someone commits suicide, they're destroying the lives of their friends and loved ones, as well.
So you would chose to live if it only cost the taxpayers but you would chose to die if it bankrupted you family. Got it. My family knows that I will die . . . so does yours. Why would my or your death destroy the lives of our family and friends?

I would not tell someone they had to die why would I tell someone they have to live. That is an individual choice. I don't know that I would want to live if I were in the same shape as Hawkings. I don't want someone wiping my ass and feeding me.
Suntzu wrote:So you would chose to live if it only cost the taxpayers but you would chose to die if it bankrupted you family. Got it.
I've paid those taxes all my life. I've paid my due. This wasn't the fucking point of your question anyhow, so why are you attacking me?

Suntzu wrote:Why would my or your death destroy the lives of our family and friends?
Have you had a family member commit suicide? If not, STFU. I've seen some families hurt badly by a suicide of a family member. Losing a mother or father can be very damaging to a family as well.

Maybe you don't give a fuck about your family, but many of us do value them greatly.

Suntzu wrote: That is an individual choice. I don't know that I would want to live if I were in the same shape as Hawkings. I don't want someone wiping my ass and feeding me.
Great, but not everyone thinks like you do. Some people aren't selfish and don't think only of themselves, but the people around them.
I've paid those taxes all my life. I've paid my due. This wasn't the fucking point of your question anyhow, so why are you attacking me?

That is rationalization. You would spend my money to live but not yours.
Have you had a family member commit suicide? If not, STFU. I've seen some families hurt badly by a suicide of a family member. Losing a mother or father can be very damaging to a family as well.

Yes.
Maybe you don't give a fuck about your family, but many of us do value them greatly.

I value my family enough to sacrifice my on wellbeing.
Great, but not everyone thinks like you do. Some people aren't selfish and don't think only of themselves, but the people around them.

I didn't ask you to commit suicide only to understand why someone else would.
Suntzu wrote:That is rationalization. You would spend my money to live but not yours.
You've mentioned a few times that you are benefiting from free healthcare. Have you paid into it for 30+ years? If not, then you shouldn't mentioned spending "your money", when I doubt you pay any taxes.

I don't understand the format for most of your post. Can you clarify?
Not 'xactly free but I treat their money just like my own. I think it is wrong to keep dying folks alive at great expense to society. I also don't agree with state sponsored euthanasia. Why should the state pay for a million bucks worth of expensive medical care to keep you alive a few more months so that you can leave your kids something?
Not 'xactly free but I treat their money just like my own. I think it is wrong to keep dying folks alive at great expense to society. I also don't agree with state sponsored euthanasia. Why should the state pay for a million bucks worth of expensive medical care to keep you alive a few more months so that you can leave your kids something?

It is wrong if folks use tax payer money to buy cigs and alcohol, that is wrong. But staying alive is never wrong, people have the freedom to live as they choose. It is not up to the government or any of us to dictate whether random people should live or die just because they are already dying, are we grim reapers or what? We are not the judges of other people. I refuse to be a judge of others. If I judge, I will be judging myself.

It is not about leaving the kids a rosebush or the old china set. It is about not breaking up families and leaving the decision up to the children if the court has granted the children the power to decide how to handle the family member and their affairs.
It is wrong if folks use tax payer money to buy cigs and alcohol,

Why? :?:

You pay tax when you work so the dole will be there when you get fired and need to look for a new one. Who are you to tell what what to do with their own money?
Decky wrote:
Why? :?:

You pay tax when you work so the dole will be there when you get fired and need to look for a new one. Who are you to tell what what to do with their own money?

You know that saying, "Feeding pearls to the swine"? They do not appreciate the compassion and instead they use the handouts to pursue a life of degeneracy. They can buy cartons of cigs and boxes of alcohol. They know that they are just going to get more welfare money next month. And for some they figure, it is more than what they could make on their own and they just want to enjoy using other peoples' money and they will enjoy it while they can (or until they die from emphyzema or cirrhosis of the liver or liver disease).
You know that saying, "Feeding pearls to the swine"? They do not appreciate the compassion and instead they use the handouts to pursue a life of degeneracy. They can buy cartons of cigs and boxes of alcohol. They know that they are just going to get more welfare money next month. And for some they figure, it is more than what they could make on their own and they just want to enjoy using other peoples' money and they will enjoy it while they can (or until they die from emphyzema or cirrhosis of the liver or liver disease).

Did you not read my post before replying to it?

Decky wrote:Why? :?:

The dole is not charity, it is not compassion and it is not a handout. It is the workers own money, you pay income tax when you work so the dole will be there when you need it (unless you are a rich, those motherfuckers use accountants to avoid paying any tax at all). Who are you to tell people how they spend their own money they earned by working like dogs? :?:

I pay tax that is taken out of my wage every single week. If I lost my job tomorrow I would spend my dole money however I fucking liked as it is my own money I have earned. You seem to be confusing charity with unemployment benefit. Unemployment benefit is money you work for, like a wage. Charity is money you did not work for, like profit from owning a business or collecting rent.
I live off the accumulated wealth of previous generations who built up the institutions, infrastructure and knowledge base that allows me to take for granted the highest standard of living in human history. I'd sooner watch my grandparents die than rent a dialysis machine, though.

The dominant race of the planet is still the White[…]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to fi[…]