I do not understand "attempted" suicide - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I can't count the number of times I wished I were dead. But to actually attempt to take my own life is something that I can't understand AT ALL.

It is INCREDIBLY EASY to kill yourself. How do you attempt and fail? I have to question whether these are really attempts at all, but merely cries for attention.

Why would you attempt to kill yourself and then call 911 because you're injured? How do you not know what would happen if you cut your arm and started bleeding? You must enjoy the idea of cutting yourself but you don't actually want to die.

People who attempt suicide and fail obviously do not want to die. But what's most fucked up is that they fail at something that is the easiest fucking thing in the world.
Agent Steel wrote:I can't count the number of times I wished I were dead. But to actually attempt to take my own life is something that I can't understand AT ALL.

Congrats, you are right in the head and you have not been fucked up enough by life to ever want to end your own life.

It is INCREDIBLY EASY to kill yourself. How do you attempt and fail? I have to question whether these are really attempts at all, but merely cries for attention.

No, it is not that easy. With kill strokes, you have to be exactly on the right spot. Even a few points off target and you will not die. No one's wrists have the actual markings of where to slash, some people slash the right part and some just miss it. It takes someone with exact knowledge of arteries to get it right.

Why would you attempt to kill yourself and then call 911 because you're injured? How do you not know what would happen if you cut your arm and started bleeding? You must enjoy the idea of cutting yourself but you don't actually want to die.

Most suicidal people are cowards, some more than others. Some did not think of the pain and when they actually hurt themselves, then something clicks in their brain and they realize that it will actually hurt. I think they want to die but they are just terribly afraid of the pain, which is a contradiction. No one said suicide was rational though.

People who attempt suicide and fail obviously do not want to die. But what's most fucked up is that they fail at something that is the easiest fucking thing in the world.

You just do not understand suicide. It is not easy. I think it takes balls to get through the pain and actually decide to kill oneself. I have thought of suicide in my younger days, right after college, but I was fortunate to have someone to talk to and I got through the internal pain I felt. If no one had been there for me, I believe I would have killed myself. I wanted to stop existing, what was the point, I thought. Life is painful. People are cold-hearted and mean.

It takes a degree of mental degradation to be successful in suicide. Not all miserable people have reached that point. ;)
You should never kill yourself AS. That it letting the world win. No matter how bad your week/ month/ whatever you just need to break it down into periods between each drink. Just try and look forwards to the next drink and never think beyond that and your life will be sweet.
There are non painful ways to kill yourself, for example by overdosing on opioids, so I don't think it's the pain that lets them reconsider. Death is the most final thing in life (heh...), it's the one decision that you can't go back on. I guess it's that realization that lets most people hesitate. You have to be pretty damn sure that your life isn't worth living another day. That goes against all your instincts, so I disagree that suicide is the easiest thing to pull off.
Congrats, you are right in the head and you have not been fucked up enough by life to ever want to end your own life.

I've wanted to end my life many times. I've never attempted it though.

No, it is not that easy. With kill strokes, you have to be exactly on the right spot. Even a few points off target and you will not die. No one's wrists have the actual markings of where to slash, some people slash the right part and some just miss it. It takes someone with exact knowledge of arteries to get it right.

Yes it is extremely easy. All you need is a sharp knife and enough force to slice your own throat, which is VERY LITTLE.

Most suicidal people are cowards, some more than others. Some did not think of the pain and when they actually hurt themselves, then something clicks in their brain and they realize that it will actually hurt. I think they want to die but they are just terribly afraid of the pain, which is a contradiction. No one said suicide was rational though.

I think they just want attention. Otherwise they wouldn't call 911.

You just do not understand suicide. It is not easy. I think it takes balls to get through the pain and actually decide to kill oneself.

Obviously you don't understand suicide either, or else you'd be dead. The only people who truly understand it are no longer with us.
Rancid wrote:I agree 100% with this statement.

plus 1, as they say.

Sometimes a failed attempt at suicide is , indeed, a cry for help. That's why it's often called a cry for help.

Not always.

Out of the few suicides I know, the saddest was a bereaved woman who tried twice and was rescued both times, so the third time she threw herself in front of a train to make sure.

Just awful for her children.
If you live in America and legally own a gun, it's much easier to commit suicide. But gun ownership is not allowed in many other countries, where suicide attempts are often made with kitchen knives.

A 48-year-old female patient was admitted to the emergency department due to a stab wound of the neck region (Fig. 1). She was fully conscious and her vital signs were in the normal range. The rescue team leader informed us that the patient had tried to commit suicide.

After the completion of the initial medical history, a thorough physical examination was conducted to detect any major vital organ damage to the neck and concomitant injuries. There was no presence of active bleeding, no bruit, no pulsatile hematoma, no sign of central neurological deficit, hemoptysis, stridor, hoarseness, dysphagia or subcutaneous emphysema. The patient, with full cardiopulmonary viability, was transported to the radiology department to conduct a complete computed tomography (CT) scan of the neck and thorax.

We were quite astonished with the results, which showed that the knife reached completely through the central mediastinum to the posterior mediastinum, attaining the aortic arch, gently leaning on the vessel's adventitia, and not damaging in the process any vital structure (Fig. 2 A and B). The CT scan revealed a bilateral pneumothorax, due to which bilateral drainage of the pleural cavity was administered through the second intercostal space in the midclavicular line using Thorax 24 F drains (Fig. 3). After completing the preliminaries mentioned above, the patient was transported to the operating room.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4971271/
Agent Steel wrote:I've wanted to end my life many times. I've never attempted it though.

Glad you never attempted.

Yes it is extremely easy. All you need is a sharp knife and enough force to slice your own throat, which is VERY LITTLE.

Actually, there are other ways that do not involve knives, carbon monoxide or a gas leak comes to mind. I think the idea of bleeding to death is what scares me the most. If I had attempted, I would not have used a knife.

I think they just want attention. Otherwise they wouldn't call 911.

A cry for help then. Possibly. It is sad that they do not just hire a therapist to talk with.

Obviously you don't understand suicide either, or else you'd be dead. The only people who truly understand it are no longer with us.

Who says they understand it? If people think too much about suicide then they might not go through with it. There are so many painful ways to commit suicide. Who in their right mind likes pain? If anyone can think rationally, then they are less likely to commit suicide.
"Attempted suicide" is indeed a cry for help. Most people who are trying to kill themselves are hoping that someone will stop them, and help them. It's truly a sad thing when someone thinks that committing suicide is a solution to anything.
It's not rational. It doesn't solve any problems. It actually makes you unable to solve any problems. It's giving up. It's accepting that your life has no value. It's the biggest sort of self-defeatism in existence.

Citing one civilization's love affair with death(no longer, incidentally), doesn't make it any more rational.
Suntzu wrote:Bullshit. Suicide can be a very rational approach to a problem. It is even accepted in some societies such as Japan. If I knew I was going to die a painful death I would have no problem committing suicide.

The Japanese are different from most of the world. I find them a bit strange, but that is neither here nor there. But I can see how they think that suicide is a way to die with honor. It is hard to die with honor when you are slowly dying a painful death but some can manage it.
Suntzu wrote:You would rather die in excruciating pain rather than peacefully go to sleep to live another month?
Life holds more value to some, than to others. Your question seems a bit convoluted, as well. Can you reword it?

I have a shit back, that causes me immense pain, frequently. Some people might rather die than live with the pain I often feel, on a daily basis. I value each and every day, however, and I always find reasons to be thankful that I am still alive. Yes. I'd rather live in pain that die.

No. This is ridiculous. You are either trolling […]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]